Afordable flea and tick treatment

Discuss Health & Medical Issues

Afordable flea and tick treatment

Postby waylon » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:32 pm

( Orignally taken from fortbayouranch forum and sounds like a good deal )

Alot of us here in SC and GA are using the Bayer Tree and Shrub to keep the fleas off our dogs. I have found it hard to find the Bayer Tree and Shrub around here anymore so I have switched brands.

Walmart and Home Depot and Lowes carries the Bayer but mine has the Bayer Feed and Protect which has nitrogen..wouldnt recommend this because the nitrogen will burn the skin.

Ortho Tree and Shrub Insect Control 32 oz --Home Depot 19.00
Martin's Dominion Tree and Shrub Insect Control 32oz TSC 18.50

Both have the same formula containing 1.47 percent Imidacloprid just like the Bayer Tree and Shrub Insect Control.

Recommended dosage-Been using the Bayer tree & shrub, 1.47% imidicloprid product here since early spring. No fleas and no problems. It is a different chemical than Frontline, but the same as the vet's Advantage product. It is just a way lower % of the chemical, as Advantage is 9.Something%. But dosing at 1ml (or 1 cc from a vaccine syringe) per about 20 lb body weight, has worked just fine for me and many I know. So with it being a much lower %, margin of safety should be even better than the Advantage product, but more is not necessary from my experience. Put it on my 10 wk old Doxie pup and 11 wk old Jack Russell pup just the other day, so they didn't break any treatment efforts with fleas making their way in to my yard! Just make sure you get the concentrate bottle, with only active ingredient is 1.47% imidicloprid. There are other formulas, like that hook to the end of the hose, that have added active ingredients.
Triozoo123
Here's info from PetMeds
Brand Name
Advantage (Bayer)

Active Ingredient(s): Imidacloprid (9.1%)

What is this product used for: Advantage is a once a month topical Flea treatment for cats and kittens over 8 weeks or older and dogs and puppies 7 weeks or older. This product kills 98-100% of the fleas on cats and dogs within 12 hours.

Availability: Advantage, a once a month topical Flea treatment, is a non-prescription (OTC) product.

How this product should be used: Advantage is available in 0.4 ml applicators for cats 1-9 lbs (orange) and 0.8 ml applicators for cats 10 lbs and over (purple). Advantage is available in 0.4 ml applicators for dogs 1-10 lbs (green), 1.0 ml applicators for dogs 11-20 lbs (teal), 2.5 ml applicators for dogs 21-55 lbs (red) and 4.0 ml applicators for dogs 55 lbs and over (blue). To apply, place the applicator tip through the animal's hair to the skin level. On cats, apply to skin on neck at the base of the skull. For dogs up to 20 lbs, apply to skin on back between the shoulder blades. For dogs 21 lbs or over apply the contents of one tube to 3 or 4 spots along the skin on back from the shoulder to the tail. Do not get this product in the pet's eyes or mouth.

What are the side effects: Individual sensitivities, while rare, may occur after using any pesticide product for pets. If signs persist, or become more severe, consult a veterinarian immediately.

What special precautions are there: Advantage is for external use on dogs 7 weeks or older and cats 8 weeks or older. Consult a veterinarian before using on medicated animals, animals using this product with other pesticides, and debilitated, aged, pregnant or nursing animals. This product causes eye irritation in humans and is harmful if swallowed. Avoid contact with skin. Call poison control center if swallowed. If on skin, wash with plenty of soap and water. If in eyes, flush with plenty of water.

Again, the Bayer T/S is only 1.47% compared to this 9%...but it's working at my house, and dosed at that same amounts per weight, should be good starting point.

I myself only use about 1-2 ml between the shoulders, start out weekly then slack off to once a month. A bottle should last you a while at those doses. Anymore than these doses and the dogs will be coated with it and can lick it off. I try and keep it between the shoulders and rub it in the fur tio keep them from licking at it.. You can also use it in a sprayer and spray around the dogs house and inside it to kill the fleas as well... I had a problem with pups getting eat up with fleas and found that washing them in Dawn dish washing soap to kill what fleas they had on them. I then mix 20 ml of Tree and Shrub in a 16 oz spray bottle and spray the pups down with it. Its diluted enough not to harm any pups so far and keeps the fleas from returning.

********* Guys I am not a vet and can not guarantee you will not have any problems with your dogs. I have been using this for awhile now and have never had a health issue with my pups or dogs using it. *****
Link to Post - Back to Top Logged

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
curdogsforhogs

cowgirl
Puppy

member is offlin

anch f
ROMANS 3:24
LET YOUR HOUNDS DO THE BRAGGING
waylon
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Afordable flea and tick treatment

Postby Shorty » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:13 pm

Waylon,

That is a good cheap way of keeping them fleas off the dogs. I have been using it for about a year now without any problems and it works great. We've had a hell of a problem around the house with fleas and ticks for years. Bayer by its self didn't seem to get rid of them completely. We talked to a friend who raises greyhounds and he told us to you 20 mule team boarax. It works GREAT!!! You just spread it in their pen by hand or with a small broadcast spreader. You wouldn't believe we haven't had a flea or tick in three months. We just reaplied the other day because we saw one dog had a couple ticks on him. We treated the living area (kennels and chained out) for fifteen dogs with three or four boxes. I think you can buy a box at the grocery store for two or three dollars. You might even be able to get it cheaper at the dollar store.
Shorty
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby waylon » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:50 pm

The wife has some of that in the house here, didn't have a clue about it being good for fleas and ticks.There about gone for the year @ my place.Ihave always just used10% 7 or 5% when 10 is not in stock and it works fair but i may give that borax a try it's lots cheaper than 7 dust and like you said dollar store its darn chep.Thanks for the tip.....and how much do you throw down, do ya just dust the ground or what?
waylon
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Shorty » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:02 pm

You bet Waylon, we just lightly dust the ground. The seven dust also works good but not near as cheap. Let me know what you think after you've tried it.
Shorty
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby waylon » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:48 pm

I will thanks alot
waylon
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby jimjack » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:04 am

Getting the dogs away from fleas is a tricky thing and you often fail to do so. However, the information found in this thread seems pretty useful and one may get this problem resolved using the products mentioned here.
jimjack

Postby livetohunt » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:20 pm

I too have been using the Bayer Tree and Shrub for the last few yrs now and it works amazing. I use it on my hounds and 2 diffrent buddys are using it on thier packs as well as all of there house dogs and ours. It has been used on little dogs from pugs to a 200lb mastiff dog.
livetohunt
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby nomutt » Fri May 25, 2012 3:44 pm

I have found that Advantage does not work for ticks after reading product info. "Advantage is a monthly flea preventative for dogs and cats that offers comprehensive flea protection by killing adult fleas, larvae, and eggs. Advantage II also treats, prevents, and controls lice on dogs. Advantage II does not kill ticks, so we recommend using the Preventic Tick Collar along with Advantage II (dogs only)." Does anyone know what to use for ticks that is cheap and can be used with Advantage? Actually I am not using Advantage, I am using the Tree and Shrub equivalent talked about here. Thanks for the time to answer.
nomutt

Postby nomutt » Fri May 25, 2012 4:50 pm

Okay. I researched this for about 2 hours, this is what I found...

"ON THE BAYER, I USE 1/4CC FOR EVERY POUND THE DOG WEIGHS.
YOU'LL NEED TO PICK UP A 20CC SYRINGE FOR ABOUT $2.
I JUST SPREAD THE HAIR BETWEEN MY HOUNDS SHOULDER BLADES AND SQUIRT THIS STUFF DOWN THE BACK TO THE RUMP.

AFTER APPLYING THE BAYER I GET A MUCH SMALLER SYRINGE AND APPLY THE PERMETHRIN 10% AT A DOSAGE OF 1/2CC FOR EVERY 10 LBS THE DOG WEIGHS. YOU WON'T NEED NO WHERE NEAR AS MUCH THIS.

I WEAR RUBBER GLOVES AND RUB THE ENTIRE DOSE IN VERY WELL AFTER APPLYING. THIS DOSE LAST ALMOST A MONTH. ITS AS CLOSE TO THE COMMERCIAL FLEA AND TICK MEDS YOU CAN GET. THE REASON ITS MORE LIQUID THAN THE COMMERCIAL TYPE IS THE PERCENTAGE OF THE MAIN INGREDIENTS IS LESS IN THE BAYER AND PERMETHRIN.

I AM ON MY SECOND MONTH AND I'VE ONLY PULLED ONE DEAD TICK OFF OF ONE OF MY DOGS AND THEY HAVE BEEN HUNTED VERY HARD DURING THIS TIME. I WISH I CAN SAY THAT FOR MYSELF...I'VE PULLED AT LEAST 10 OFF OF ME PERSONALLY DURING THIS SAME PERIOD.

THE MATH BEHIND THESE DOSAGES HAS BEEN VERIFIED WITH SEVERAL LOCAL VETS AS WELL AS HEAVILY RESEARCHED ON THE WEB. THE SPRAY MIX OF THE PERMETHRIN 10 WORKS WELL AROUND THE KENNEL AND IN THE BOXES. YOU JUST HAVE TO SPRAY TWICE A WEEK TO REALLY CONTROL THE TICKS AND FLEAS."

This quote came from:
http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.ph ... did=375672

Also look at ingrediants of K9 Advantix II here:
http://www.1800petmeds.com/K9+Advantix+ ... 10631.html

And possible side Permethrin's effects here:
http://www.ehow.com/list_6387055_permet ... -dogs.html

Hope this helps y'all with makin a decision about complete affordable flea and tick prevention.
nomutt

Postby Steve White » Sat May 26, 2012 11:04 am

There is another thread about ticks that has a lot of good info in it. That would also pertain to this.

For a lot of this stuff. Rather than buying these name brand labels. You can find these products in bulk on the web. Pestmall.com is a good source for many of these products. You can search by ingredient, pest, etc.

Explained to a guy just yesterday how I spend less to treat my dogs for a year, then it would cost me to treat the pack for a month with fancy labels. He is using Bio-spot currently. Monthly cost for my pack with 1 treatment close to $50. A qt of 37% permethrin costs $33 at pestmall.

That is interesting about the borax. If it worked on all bugs I would try it. Might anyway, but like to kill all the creepy crawlers. I want to keep the flies, skeeters, spiders, ants, etc, down in the yard as well. Bet if you bought the borax in large quantities you could use the grass/fertilizer spreader with it. To cover larger areas quicker.
Steve White
White's Woods & Waters
http://www.whiteswoodsandwaters.com
steve@whiteswoodsandwaters.com
715-892-0032
Steve White
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby LarryBeggs » Sat May 26, 2012 1:55 pm

I was in Costco on Thur. and it looked like they came out with there own "Kirkland" brand of fles and tick treatment.$20 treats 6 dogs.I was buying somthing for work so I didnt have much time to stop and look but it looked comparable to Advantage.I am not in there very often maybe it has been out for a while.Still not as cheap as you guys are talking about but worth taking a look at. Larry
LarryBeggs
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby BobCat40 » Sat May 26, 2012 11:12 pm

I use advantix 1/10 cc per 5 lbs.Suck it up with a syringe and just go back and fourth,I dont even part the hair.
Get they 6 pack or the 12 pack for the biggest dog,been doing that for 10 years
BobCat40

worming prepperation for the dirt before worming

Postby BobCat40 » Sat May 26, 2012 11:33 pm

If your treating your animals for worm's.
You need to treat the ground.
Borax Soap kills the parasite and fine course rock salt cracks the parasite eggs open.
Cover the area with a spreader one application of the Borax.
Second application salt.
Take the specimen from the area,water it in real good,then bring fido back too area the next day.
Know your ready too start worming unless you have a above ground pen because the fece's drop straight to the ground so the dog dose not get reinfected
BobCat40

Postby Melanie Hampton » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:57 pm

LarryBeggs wrote:I was in Costco on Thur. and it looked like they came out with there own "Kirkland" brand of fles and tick treatment.$20 treats 6 dogs.I was buying somthing for work so I didnt have much time to stop and look but it looked comparable to Advantage.I am not in there very often maybe it has been out for a while.Still not as cheap as you guys are talking about but worth taking a look at. Larry

This is what I am going to start using.. I have been using Frontline- buying the big doses- and splitting it up with the dogs.. Last year I was treating 6 dogs and 2 cats for $32 a month.. It was well worth it IMO.. I'm not comfortable using the Bayer on the dogs.. I know people who have used it for years and now their older dogs have come up with tumors and cancer.. May be a coincidence.. But I'd rather just buy the stuff made for the dogs.. Doesn't mean its any healthier or works better, just what I'm comfortable with..
Melanie Hampton
Home of OutWest Hounds

You've only got 3 choices in life
give in, give up, or give it all you got.

http://www.outwesthounds.com
Melanie Hampton
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Return to Health & Medical Issues