Best bobcat hound and why?

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.

Best bobcat hound and why?

Postby twist » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:33 am

Would like to know what your best bobcat hound you owned and why! Pictures would be great!!!!! I thinks this should be a GREAT post.
Home of TOPPER AGAIN,( Nance breeding at its finest) Nothing better than a BOBCAT in a tree!
twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Best bobcat hound and why?

Postby coastrangecathunting » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:05 pm

best cat dog I ever had was a female named cindy,she was 5/8 house 1/4 running dog 1/8 bluetick. fairly quiet she might have barked 3 to 4 barks a min on cold track when she jumped, it was over she could squirt out of there before the other dogs new what happened.treed about 15 to 20 barks a min.she could have been better in a lot of areas but she was the type of dog that if she barked you better load your gun.the funny thing is she was probobly one of the best bear dogs i ever seen.lots of times she would be the only dog left on a bad bear.I had to put her down 6 years ago she was 13 and yes tears were coming out of my eyes. There is no dought in my mind she was and always will be the best allaround dog i will ever have.
coastrangecathunting
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:30 pm

She sounds like she was a great one. Gotta love them ones, if a guy is ever lucky enough to get one.
Dan Edwards
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby high desert hounds » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:04 am

This is my Katie dog. She has been a remarkable dog since day one. She treed a lion at 9 months old by her self. I was trying her on her first lion track just to see if she would take it, she blew down the track and three miles later she had a 114# tom treed. She treed her first bobcat at thirteen months by herself. She is now four years old is by far the best dog I have ever been around. If she belonged to a great houndsmen she would be one of the greates hands down. She smart, fast, and gritty as all hell. All the dogs will make a lose at a cliff and she will find her way around and hours later you will find her trailing or treeing. Most people wont believe this but her catch percentage on bobcats is around 90%. This is in the snow of course. she is also the only dog I have that I can trust when the track goes dry.

high desert hounds
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby whoflungdung » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:40 am

Hunt her while you have her and dont make the mistake of not cherishing what you have until its gone. Congrats on your dog being a keeper.
Dont be a fool cover your tool. When in doubt cover your spout.
whoflungdung
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hounder » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:07 am

Here is my little walker She is tight mouthed on the trail and a sit back and chop tree dog and she likes to watch the cat in the tree so if you get one the crafty ones that likes to jump tree to tree she can usually keep with it she is really doing good for me.
shoot em' with the camera
hounder
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby twist » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:37 pm

Come on guys and gals I cant beleive only 3 guys have had great bobcat dogs, dig out your pictures and tell your story!!
Home of TOPPER AGAIN,( Nance breeding at its finest) Nothing better than a BOBCAT in a tree!
twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:35 pm

Twist,

I have seen a couple of pretty good bobcat dogs over the years, even followed a couple.

I have a bitch right now that might just be the next best bobcat dog I have seen. I am not going to
post any photos for I don't do that, but I think you would like her. She is super fast, got a real cold nose and
is a very busy hunter. She runs a track to catch and is a very accurate locater. She has a high yodel chop bawl on track and
a clear ringing chop at the tree. She has lots of grit but handles good and for 15 months old is pretty well broke.
she stuck a cat the other day at 10 am. it was about 55 degrees and hadn't rained or sanowed in 3 weeks and the ground was bare.
She smoked the track up into a slide area and then around a chute and moved it like the real thing. In a bit she came screaming off the side jumped
and I knew she had it. Too much pressure I guess and the cat shot under a rock bluff cut and back very deep where the hounds could not get it.We might have excavated the cat
but we had lions to look for cat season is over. She is out of an old dog you might have heard of called Topper Again. Oh by the way
SHE IS NOT FOR SALE.
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby cold nosed hounds » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:18 am

ImageThese two knot heads are brothers I think they are great bobcat dogs. 1st year bobcat hunting bagged 7, 2nd year 21 treed then split the two up. This year my walker treed 11 bobcats with out his brother, and the other brother treed 11 also, which is 22 bobcats so that is why I think they are great bobcat dogs. I just started hunting with hounds four years ago, and I love it as does my family.
Thanks!!
cold nosed hounds

Postby twist » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:30 am

Mike, if you ever get tired of that female I know a place were she can call home :) :) . cold nose looks like you have the cat hunting figured out what strain of walker are you hunting? Great stories keepem coming!!!!!!!!!!!
twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby twist » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:41 am

Image I have been very lucky over the years to have had a handful of nice bobcat dogs so I have had to thinks pretty hard as to what hound I have had stood out above the others and I have came to the conclusion that my old Nance breed hound Stud was the all around package his father was a great cat dog as was his mother I owned both of them they were bred up close to Nances Little Topper. stud is the second dog from left he was 10 yrs old in this pic and would still out run his offspring which are also in picture. He was a fast track dog that never made to many mistakes and was a very accurate locate and tree dog in the one picture were he is by himself he was just 2yr old he would run the tree alot but as he got older he learned to set back and conserve himself. I could hunt him 24 7 and never wear him down. He is now 14yr old and is retired but still looks very well. Like I said I have been blessed with a good hand full of bobcat dogs that all in their own way were great but Stud was the complete package. I hope in time there will be one to take over as the complete package that will out shine him. Andy
twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Curtis Wilcox » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:48 am

Twist, is the first hound on the left Shaggy?My oldest son bought her a couple of years ago.We have been runnin' cats and havin' lots of fun with her.Thought we might breed to Topper Again.What do you think about that cross?Thanks,Curt
Curt Wilcox
Curtis Wilcox
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby twist » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:18 pm

Curtis, you sure have a good eye that is Shaggy. As nance breed as she is crossed on Topper Again would be better than money in the bank! You would have no problem gettin rid of the pups and there would be no limit to the price you set. They would be some cat machines. How has the old girl been doing running cats any pics would be great. Later Andy
twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby onalimb » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:05 pm

Rowdy.....If you let him go he wasn't coming back, the only time you'd get him without leaving the road is if you caught him crossing one, and that doesn't happen in this country much. He would hunt until he caught it or dropped trying, he gave it all every time. I know of no other dog with the numbers of huge bobs he'd caught, and figuring the average at 20 pounds and the 30-40 pounders, he caught a half ton of Bobcat in his day. A battle with a bear slowed him down in his old age, but he still went out like a pup. He lived into his 15th year, did it and caught it all, but he was obsessed with catching a spotted cat. Owned by my best friends, I'm lucky to have gotten to spend a lot of winters following him through the BitterRoot Mountains. R.I.P. Buddy.
Preston Joy N. Idaho
onalimb
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby twist » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:40 pm

onalimb, that is one pretty bobcat I bet his belly was awesome.
twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Next

Return to Bobcat/Lynx Hunting