best way to trap bobcat?

A Place to discuss Trapping

best way to trap bobcat?

Postby scooter » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:14 pm

whats the best way to trap a bobcat? what type of set and how should i set it?
scooter
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: best way to trap bobcat?

Postby Conejos » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:05 am

Scooter I don't know where you live here in Northern Nm but bobcats are one of the easier animals to trap. The trouble is while not outlawing trapping NM has put so many rules that it makes it damn near impossible to do it legally.(well the way I learned anyway) I used to trap alot in southern colorado where I grew up and the way I was taught was to kill a pigeon or other pretty good sized bird and use a wire hanger to suspend the dead bird so its wings are spread, use a small string so it can twist and move in the wind then put pieces of tin foil in its wings. Place this bait up on a cliff or ridge where it can be seen from a long ways away and set steel foot hold traps under the bait. I never had to cover scent much or even disguise the traps much. Curiosity kills the cat for sure! I don't think that set up is legal anywhere anymore but it sure was effective.
"True success is being able to move from failure to failure never losing ones optimism" Thomas Edison
Conejos
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby jkcasey » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:01 pm

Cats are easy if you place your sets where they are going to be. Scout out the area you are going to trap. Be on the lookout for potty and tracks. Sometimes it's hard to pull a cat off it's line of travel. You will have better luck setting on sign. A good cat gland lure with a #3 gaurding it will take most every cat that passes by your set, but a visual attracter will only help. I would suggest something non organic, like tensel or tape out of an old vhs movie. Just place it so it moves with the slightest breeze. With cats it is easy to place their foot on the pan with blocking. They don't shy away like a yote will if too much blocking is used. Here are a few links that may help, good luck and happy trapping. http://www.trapperman.com/trapperman/flat_set.html http://www.trapperman.com/trapperman/dirthole_set.html http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/publica ... B_2010.pdf page 56 tells about the do's and don'ts within our state
Catch you later, Kiel “If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today.” --Lou Haltz
jkcasey
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby scooter » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:26 pm

thanx guys all these tips will be helpful! i cant wait to go out and try em. when covering your trap with dirt do you use a pan cover or how to do you cover them?
scooter
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby jkcasey » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:06 pm

scooter wrote:thanx guys all these tips will be helpful! i cant wait to go out and try em. when covering your trap with dirt do you use a pan cover or how to do you cover them?

I use a pan cover. I get this stuff called a milk filter at the vet supply store. I bet a coffe filter would work just as well.
Catch you later, Kiel “If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today.” --Lou Haltz
jkcasey
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby wacker x 8 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:28 pm

I have been live trapping them up here because we cant use foot holds up here . I use a visual and then use beaver caster or even a leg in there, they can not resist it. but like the guy said try and get were they are moving through .
wacker x 8
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Return to Trapping