blue heeler??

Talk about Coon Hunting

blue heeler??

Postby torque » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:35 pm

anybody use a blue heeler for a coon dog, or know somebody that uses one? and i know this is a coon thread but how do they do on squirrel. just picked one up yesterday and wondering if anybody uses them.
torque
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: blue heeler??

Postby craigs » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:14 pm

Well my Wife's Red heeler likes to play the game, but she don't bark any.
The heeler will sit under a tree look up but will not bark.
craigs
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby torque » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:41 pm

i had mine out yesterday on a coon skin and the pup is only six weeks old and i was draggin the pup across the ground on that skin. so im hopin i can make something out of it.
torque
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby donbhuntn » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:24 pm

ohhhh buddy..finally someone else.my best dog is blue heeler/mtn.fiest but man is he a dog...coon machine grittyer than anything iv owned.trees squirrel all day and coon all night.camping on river dont want coons in your food over night?bring the dog hel raise hell.11yrs old and has been doin it since 2000
he tears into anything i sick him on.loyal as can be.herds cows when i want him to.they are SMART dogs and will do anything for you.iv had him sine my 6th bday i turn 16 in august and when i was little dad turned him loose and gave me the bb gun.man was that fun...iv used him as a duck dog too!not to mention quail and rabbit hunt in the snow..hes amazing im findn a female soon to breed him.
donbhuntn
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby torque » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:35 pm

sweet. i got a female but she is only 6 weeks. im just 15 and got alot of squirrels behind my house and i want somethin small and fast shes a real good lookin pup. i like hearin stuff like that from people so at least i know i got a decent dog. i've never owned one but everybody says they are smart. i beleive it cause i've only had this one two days and it is already showin intelligience. i hope to find a stud one day for her if she's any count cause like i said shes really good lookin. i got her for when im not hog and bear huntin i'll just run around and use her for squirrel, coon and whatever else she likes. but i appreciate the feedback bud.
torque
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby montananative » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:56 pm

with ALL the coondogs out there i wouldnt bother trying to train a blue heeler as a coondogs. your chances are exponentially higher to have a GOOD SOLID coondog if you start off with a dog that is bred to coon hunt. would you buy a a bluetick for a cowdog? Just my opinion
montananative
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby torque » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:23 am

montananative wrote:with ALL the coondogs out there i wouldnt bother trying to train a blue heeler as a coondogs. your chances are exponentially higher to have a GOOD SOLID coondog if you start off with a dog that is bred to coon hunt. would you buy a a bluetick for a cowdog? Just my opinion

i've had plenty experiences with dogs that were not bred for a certain thing. my dad bred a coon dog that was rottwieler/american bulldog, thats not from a coon bloodline is it now? the dog came 3rd in the southeast coon huntin tournament, goes to show you can train a dog to do anything. i only asked cause i picked one up as a companion dog cause i heard they were intelligent, not for somebody to down the breed of what they think it cant do.
torque
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Deff » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:33 pm

I had a heeler that was a coon hunting/fighting fool. I don't know if she trailed them -- or just knew where to look, but if you heard her yapping at a tree – you could count on a coon being up there!
The cow dog that I have now pretty much lets the hounds find the game, but she gets right in there when she hears them bay treed!
Deff
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby torque » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:48 pm

Deff wrote:I had a heeler that was a coon hunting/fighting fool. I don't know if she trailed them -- or just knew where to look, but if you heard her yapping at a tree – you could count on a coon being up there!
The cow dog that I have now pretty much lets the hounds find the game, but she gets right in there when she hears them bay treed!

did you train her or was it her instinct to tree
torque
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Deff » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:59 pm

She pretty much picked it up on her own. Being a ranch dog, she had free reign of the place. One evening, I heard her yapping down by the creek and found her under a tree looking up at a coon. Shot it down to her and that was the start of it all. If I took a gun and light out at night, she would disappear into the woods checking in often but making no sound until she had something treed. That was almost forty years ago, and the start of my coon hunting too. Now I have hounds but I still let the stock dogs go along on the hunts.
Deff
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby montananative » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:59 am

torque wrote:i've had plenty experiences with dogs that were not bred for a certain thing. my dad bred a coon dog that was rottwieler/american bulldog, thats not from a coon bloodline is it now? the dog came 3rd in the southeast coon huntin tournament, goes to show you can train a dog to do anything. i only asked cause i picked one up as a companion dog cause i heard they were intelligent, not for somebody to down the breed of what they think it cant do.

wasn't trying to ruffle feathers, just saying, use the right tool for the job.
montananative
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby torque » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:10 pm

you can use chanlocks to loosin bolts but the right tool is a wrench, they both get the job done. you can use a bluetick for a coon dog and as you have seen other comments on this thread you can also use a blue heeler but guess what, either way they get the job done. the only difference is "every" blue heeler out there isn't gonna tree where as the possibilities are higher if you use a bluetick (especially if your using the cameron bloodline). i know my dogs and i know alot of different bloodlines cause i have done plenty research. all i asked about the blue heeler was cause its just a big experiment to see how the dog does. she is only about 8 weeks old and when i train her i drag her around on the coon skin cause she is latched onto it so tight and when i quit draggin the skin she shakes it like a rag doll like she is tryin to kill it. you cant tell me at this age that the dog doesnt have any potential; and its a blue heeler at that.
torque
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby carlisle » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:46 pm

this little female blue heeler made it to alot of bear and a few lion trees...her and one hound put this one up for me one day/night...she would tree but she would mostly hang out with me until whatever it was got jumped...it wouldnt be the breed I would choose to hunt with but as far as just an all around fun dog to own this blue heeler was one of the best..
Attachments
night lion.jpg
zip treeing 2.jpg
zip treeing.jpg
carlisle
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby torque » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:04 pm

i hog and bear hunt so im going to take her on a couple of those hunts depending how she does on a coon when she gets older. i particularly want to seee how she does on a hog. i got a buddy that has some and im going to take her over there and let her see the hogs and just watch her reaction. then let her see how my other dogs get it done.
torque
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby duxtoyz » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:47 am

ya, u dnt have to have just a hound to hunt with. i have a 7 year old border collie mix that will tree and tear into a coon anyday. she takes on dogs way bigger than her if they come near our yard too. but is very sweet and gentle with my kids and cats. very loyal and protective. always in between a "threat" and a family member. plus, shes a good water dog.....will retrieve anything that is tossed or shot into the water. and shes one hearding fool, wnt give up. she will corral chickens til the cows come home...lol. just if those damn things would quit flying around.......but u can always bet she gets them back into their coop when u tell her too.
duxtoyz
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Next

Return to Coon Hunting