Bobcat dog

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.

Bobcat dog

Postby curdawgs » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:30 pm

Hey guys, not real familiar with cat hunting. I do hog hunt and have hog dogs. What my question is how can I go about getting a bobcat dog. Maybe well started that can find a cat or finished? What do they run (I know this is prolly like hog dogs and can range from 500-3000). Do yall know where I might be able to find one at? Im in Arkansas.

Any help or input would be great! I looked in the classifieds and didnt see any. Will a lion dog work for bobcats?

Also I dont have a stack of cash to spend. lol
curdawgs

Re: Bobcat dog

Postby Dads dogboy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:52 pm

Curdawgs,

1st off where in AR are you located.

There are three top packs of Bobcat Hounds in AR. Will they sell one, probably the day Ole Lucifer has to break his coal shovel out of the Ice!

I stated this once before here on BGH...Bobcat Hounds are hard to find....Good ones even harder....Good ones for sale almost impossible to find.

A Solid Broke strike, trail, jump do it all Hound today would be from $5,000 to $25,000. (yes they bring that much. I know of three that sold for that in the last year or so)

Depending on where in the State you are located you may be able to use more of a Treebred type Hound. Beware on buying Hounds from outside your region as Hounds from way off have to aclimate to your Climate, vegitation, and off Game.

Also your purpose will dictate the type of Hound that you need. Go back through the Bobcat section archives and read the many very good Post there. Along the way you will see my phone #, you might even see that we are in the Glenwood, Ar area.

Very Good Lion Hunters will tell you that you can catch Lions with Bobcat Hounds but not so much Bobcats with Lion Hounds...different Skills needed.

While we have some Hounds that will bark at a Bobcat, on any given day they would be hard pressed to be called "Cat Hounds".

C. John Clay
C. John Clay
diamondctv@aol.com
870-223-2063
Dads dogboy
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby curdawgs » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:07 pm

Thanks for the reply. I definitely can't afford that ecspecially since I for so much in hog dogs. I am in Stuttgart, at. I am very intersects in getting into this. I can get pups in this area all day long bur don't u need a Good dog to help train a dog? I will look at some of the posts. I'm sittn on 1000 acres of bottom land hardwoods near the white river refuge. We got some bobcats wud u be interested in running them down here sumtime? Way kind of dogs do you run?
curdawgs

Postby Dads dogboy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:57 pm

curdawgs,

Call Brett Kieffer up at Walsenburg. He has put together an nice set of Hounds that can aggrevate a Bobcat. 870-219-3714

When it cools off we might come make a Hunt with you!

CJC
C. John Clay
diamondctv@aol.com
870-223-2063
Dads dogboy
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby stonesthrowkennel » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:39 am

This is a interesting conversation piece. It takes a special dog to become a finished bobcat hound. Alot of hounds do not have the brains to catch a bobcat. A dog must be able to apply pressure when needed and back off when that little critter decides to walk stone to stone down a stream or keep running that same circle for two hours. And what really counts is where you are located in this huge country. Eastern cats lets say around new york state are a totally different cat to run then say montana. The vegetation it totally different so the cats hardly ever tree. If you turn lose on 30 cats back east you might tree 2. If you turn lose on 30 bobcat in north west montana you could tree 20 same hounds. But not to stray to far off the conversation piece it still takes the same hound to do both. We have a special litter of pups on the ground write now and if it works out like the last litter we should have a couple that turn into real bobcat hounds. THANKS FOR TALKING BOBCAT
stonesthrowkennel
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Dads dogboy » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:46 pm

Stonesthrowkennel,

You are giving curdawgs good info up to the point that you said " But not to stray to far off the conversation piece it still takes the same hound to do both".

If curdawgs had the very BEST Hound from New York AND the very BEST from MT, where he wants to catch Bobcat....he would be as well off with Beagles.

He would hear lots of Hound Music and might could shoot one ahead of the Hounds...he might even catch one if it was ill or extra full of Rabbit....he damn sure would not be going to hurt the Bobcat Population any.

We can not talk knowledgably about catching Bobcats in MT, but we know a little something about catching them here in AR or across the Piney Woods of the Southeast. It takes a much different Hound to be successful here!

We have given him the name of someone who has a nice little set of Hounds put together who is not far from him. Hopefully they can and will hook up, also he is invited to come over here and learn from Dad about what it takes in the Southeast to consistently put them on the Tailgate!

I bet that you probably will have some nice Pups for your neck of the Woods, however the chances of them having the right combination of skills for here is slim to none!

CJC
C. John Clay
diamondctv@aol.com
870-223-2063
Dads dogboy
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Return to Bobcat/Lynx Hunting