Bobcat vs. Coyote

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.

Bobcat vs. Coyote

Postby Olmuleskinner » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:15 pm

How many cats are caught or killed by coyotes?
Olmuleskinner

Re: Bobcat vs. Coyote

Postby coastrangecathunting » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:10 am

good question i cant answer it but im sure it happens , it would be one hell of a fight. i dont think the reward is worth the risk .

jc
coastrangecathunting
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dwalton » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:46 am

Back 30 years ago when I trapped I seen many times when a coyote came up to a cat in a trap and not once did he try to kill it. I have never seen where a coyote has killed a bobcat and have not heard of one doing it. I don't think they will. I had coyotes eat a cat out of a trap after someone had killed it but never killed one. Dewey
dwalton
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby cougarhound » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:02 am

dwalton wrote:Back 30 years ago when I trapped I seen many times when a coyote came up to a cat in a trap and not once did he try to kill it. I have never seen where a coyote has killed a bobcat and have not heard of one doing it. I don't think they will. I had coyotes eat a cat out of a trap after someone had killed it but never killed one. Dewey

i agree 100 %
Lorne Meadows
home phone:1-250-425-0058
The bullshit stops when the tailgate drops
cougarhound
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:43 am

I wouldnt think that it happens too often if ever.
Dan Edwards
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby TomJr » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:17 am

I don't think its a common occurance either... I supose if a coyote ran across a young cat alone it might. I do know that you can find lots of cats and coyotes in the same area.

Coyotes do seem to either eat foxes or just drive them out of an area. If there are lots of coyotes then there will be very few if any greyfox.
TomJr
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Olmuleskinner » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:28 pm

I knew they take over the gray fox fifty years ago this country had many Grey fox people
Ran them all night now coyotes are thick and not many fox. Do see few cats crossing
The roads now and then. Was just wonder if coyotes messed with them much.
Olmuleskinner

Postby red angus » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:31 pm

Olmuleskinner wrote:I knew they take over the gray fox fifty years ago this country had many Grey fox people
Ran them all night now coyotes are thick and not many fox. Do see few cats crossing
The roads now and then. Was just wonder if coyotes messed with them much.

Here in SE Montana you see groups of 4 to 6 coyoyes at a time.
I have seen where they have kept a bob treed and in a hole both.
If they don't kill bobs, then what were they doing? :?:
red angus

Postby Hipshooter » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:12 am

I have never ever seen any evidence of this,
maybe a baby once in a while.
Hipshooter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

A man is not very smart that can,t find his wife 2 jobs.
And any wife should be able to support her man and a pack of hounds.

Never shock your dog off bad game
untill he knows what good game is.

Postby Budd Denny » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:03 am

I've had wolves come up to trapped cats SEVERAL times and not bother em but did have them mouth a dead cat in a snare one time.
........Budd Denny..........
Budd Denny
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby pegleg » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:41 am

This probably a good example of common sense on a coyotes part. they don't have access to antibiotics. the advantage could easily shift back and forth slightly given the conditions. The closest to any of this I have seen is a pack run a cat of a rabbit kill one time. I am sure some confrontations accur but they probably end rather civily
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby MadCatter » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:28 pm

Good discussion. I have personally witnessed one live interaction between coyotes and a bobcat. I was calling predators at night, and had a bobcat come across a wide open pasture for a 1/4 mile. As the cat got within 150 yards, I noted a coyote coming in hot on the same track the cat took. Now, was the coyote after the cat? Probably not... He was more than likely responding to the call, just like the cat.

However, the coyote was coming faster than the cat, and soon the two would meet. When the bobcat got about 100 yards out, it looked as if he suddenly was aware of something following him.

The coyote was about ten yards behind the cat, when the cat suddenly spun around to face the coyote. That cat puffed up his hair, raised a front foot, displayed his fighting knives, and growled. The coyote threw the brakes on, skidding to a stop.

For a brief moment, I thought I was fixing to see one hell of a fight. But it appeared the coyote started second guessing his actions. You could almost see him thinking "Oh crap! What have I got myself into?"

The guy with me was running the light, and holding it steady on the bobcat. thinking i was going to shoot the bobcat. They were almost in the same line of sight, through my scope.

Thats when the coyotes second thoughts became a reality... A 45 grain bullet struck him dead center in the chest! HA HA!

That cat stood there for a couple of seconds, thinking he had scared that dumb coyote to death. Then he started to trot off to the right. My buddy running the light kept folowing the cat. What he didn't see, was the second coyote coming on the run back behind the cat. I had to tell him to swing the light left.

Now, I would like to end this story by telling you how I deftly killed both coyotes, sparing the big bobs life... But that wouldn't be true. I took a running shot on the second coyote, as he was skinning out like his ass was on fire when he stumbled upon his previous hunting buddies carcass, and I missed.

I let the cat walk... this time (it was early in the season, and they had not primed up yet).

Since then, I have always wondered... What would have happened if I hadn't shot the coyote???

My best guess is that big 'ol bob would have wooped that coyotes ass! At least until his buddy arrived. Even then, I don't think the coyotes would have prevailed.

Just my thoughts.

Travis
MadCatter
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Jim Meacham » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:36 pm

I have not seen the two interact in person, But have caught A bob and a coyote on a dead dear that we had put out with a digital camera. The bob was all flared up and the coyote was front paws down with his head on the ground not wanting anything to do with that big old bob.

Jim
Jim Meacham
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Return to Bobcat/Lynx Hunting