Cascade Bred Plotts

Discuss pedigrees, post photos, and etc...

Cascade Bred Plotts

Postby Mike Leonard » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:27 pm

Back in the 80's I was still hunting bear a little and I had some good plotts. As I have said before my greatest ever was Bearpath Hawk a son of Gunner, but I also had some good Cascade dogs. Most going back to some Bobby Archuleta, Pete Domingues, and Pete Sherwood had. I am sure some will remember the name Cascade Easy Money.There were a number of Blue Maltese plotss in this line.

I got a call a few days back from an old Outfitter in central Arizona who I sold a pup to over 20 years ago called Fireball. This dog was out of Cascade Blue Jack and had Sherwoods Pepsi on the other side. Well I hand't talk to this man in years but he told me this turned into the greatest bare ground lion dog they have ever seen. In fact he had some blue spotted pups out of him and a female of Larry Hendrix's who were also good dogs. He was wondering if I still had any of the line, but regrettibly I do not.

I was wondering if anybody out there is still running this line of plotts?
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Cascade Bred Plotts

Postby sethmcalex » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:55 pm

can you give us a little pedigree info on the sherwood dog?
Seth McAlexander
Palo Duro Plott Dogs
sethmcalex
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:34 pm

I will have to dig back behind Pepsi and see what I can find. When Pete was in Eagle, colorado and had this line going they were some catching rascals.

Don't know if you ever met Pete Sherwood but he was a character. Sort of a wild man but he dang sure was a woodsmen. He passed on on some years back but I can't rmember now the reason for death he was not that old.

I remember when pete Dominguez crossed on Pepsi because we were all up at a big field trial in Crawford, Colorado. Early to mid 80's I would say.
MIKE LEONARD
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby reed » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:19 pm

Mike, for all intents and purposes there are no more Cascade dogs. The line was bred by Dee Demoss. I would imagine that there are people with Cascade in the pedigree but nothing up close that would be a big influence.
reed
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby sethmcalex » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:07 pm

i never met pete personally but he got dogs and hunted a few times with the guys i hunt with. i know pete got dogs from quite a few different breeders and never new him to run just one line of dogs.
Seth McAlexander
Palo Duro Plott Dogs
sethmcalex
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:30 pm

Yes I think he may have leaned a little more towards the Butch/Jill Weems dogs. Can't blame him for that. LOL!

Don't know if any of you remember Oliver Smith's Cascade Boulder? My Hawk dog resembled him so much that one time when I unloaded him from the box in front of several well known Plott guys at the time from Washington they jumped back and looked at each other and said. That's Boulder, where did you get Boulder. LOL!
MIKE LEONARD
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby sethmcalex » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:48 pm

pete owned, i believe, three of the original butch/jill dogs. Dusty was suppose to be a pretty good lion dog.
Seth McAlexander
Palo Duro Plott Dogs
sethmcalex
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby markm » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:17 am

Pete died from a brain tumor
markm

Postby Mike Leonard » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:22 pm

That's right been too long or I am getting too old. I was looking at a photo the other night of Van Johnson, Pete, Lester Mundy and I in the back of an old blue ford pickup. Big Keith Stewert was standing off to the side and it looked like he was giving us all a lesson on something. LOL! My time does fly!!!
MIKE LEONARD
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby plottpappaw » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:01 am

i can try to run down this one guy in tenn. he has stayed with the cascade dogs for several years keeping them as close as you can stand to dean demoss' line. they are some catching rascals too. only dogs that were impressive at big game nationals this year.
eph 2:8-9
plottpappaw
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Outlaw 3 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:58 pm

We have had good success out of Cascade bred dogs over the years. We hunt them on bear only. We have been making crosses out of the same line of dogs which are mostly Cascade with very limited (if any) outcrossing. We have not kept up with papers over the years just bear dogs. I like the nose and the endurance of a Cascade dog over some of the other plott lines I have hunted. They are few and far between these days.
Chris Henderson
Outlaw Hounds
http://www.outlawhounds.webs.com
Outlaw 3
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby plottpappaw » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:21 am

outlaw 3 i believe you maybe the feller i was gonna track down if i'm not mistakin. were you at bgn?
plottpappaw
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Outlaw 3 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:28 am

not this year. I went to the APA breed days in SC but couldn't make it to the NPHA. We won the NPHA a couple of years ago.
Chris Henderson
Outlaw Hounds
http://www.outlawhounds.webs.com
Outlaw 3
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby plottpappaw » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:16 am

i' may have my years messed up. i'm pretty sure i've only ever seen one true set of cascade plotts down there. i'm sorry i satnd corrected. i meant apa days. i'm pretty sure it was you i met
plottpappaw
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby MountainSong » Thu May 19, 2011 2:02 am

I live in North Idaho and Im looking for a male Cascade Plott somewhere about 3 months to around 6 months old, I have spent alot of time trying to get exactly what I want and for some reason I can find a few that are mix, but nothing pure, if there is anyone out here in internet land that could help me with this that would be great, or maybe have another idea for me. also if there are local bear and cat clubs around me, I am interested in that aswell.

Thank you
Derek
MountainSong

Next

Return to Plott Hounds