catch dogs???

Talk about Hog hunting

catch dogs???

Postby houndnem » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:18 pm

how much does a good catch dog go for???? started one???? I'm wanting to run them with my hounds on hog and bear
"Houndn'Ems Blueticks" if it smells like a cat, they'll catch it.
houndnem
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: catch dogs???

Postby pchop » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:41 pm

Check out the east texas hog dogger forum lots of good threads about prices and hog dogs.
Jason Rohrbach
El Sobrante C.A
I just love hunting with dogs!
pchop
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby txswamphunter » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:41 am

you can get a pretty good one for about 450 but make sure you go hunt the dog make sure he go to a bay an catch an stay caught not regriping an that bull crap ,
you can train your own get you a hog an go find some pits from pound , might take you a few but be you can find one
i personally would not even try to let my CD at a bear

i use a staghound an a small pit as my catch dogs
txswamphunter
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby houndnem » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:18 am

txswamphunter, is the reason you would not turn your cd on a bear because it will just get killed? I'm just tired of these mean so. utah bears whoopin the shit out of my hounds. had about 15 bear this year that never treed that I think a little more bite might have changed their mind. I also hunt hogs and my hounds will hold a mean boar down pretty tight, but every 15 20 min he will get to run 1000 yards.it's only a matter of time till I get a hound killed........
houndnem
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby coolerman » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:59 am

if you wanting some grit with a little more brains (instead of bein suicidal ) get you a GOOD Black mouth cur you get speed enough to get out of the way but enough teeth and grit to get the job done , as far as on hogs a bulldog is the way to go
coolerman
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Bdog » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:49 pm

I have hunted hogs in CA/TX/NM and hunted them a bunch out of Mesquite NV just north of me, until they wiped them out. I mainly bear and lion hunt but love hog catching, however I agree with coolerman as I have been running curs in my pack and found with the right ones they do well on both without some of the issues you may have with CD's on bear trees. I still have a new cutvest with collar and some cut collars left so give me a shout and might part with them if you need them.
Solid Kemmer and I sure do miss him
Bdog
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby txswamphunter » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:53 pm

If your dogs will only hold the hog is one spot 15 or 20 min something is causing the hog to break it might be pressure the dogs are putting on him or not enough pressure to hold him bayed ,
I hunt hounds an curs together an have had them bay in same spot not moving more than a few feet for over an hour sometimes 2 hours more than once ,

Have you ever hunted with a catchdog ?? Just wondering how you plan to detach them from hog or bear ??

A catch dog is going to run in there an catch the bear or hog an not let go so will be killed by the bear or be attached to it getting tore up ,
I have never hunted bear but I would think that some bear are more likely to tree an some stand an fight , I know hogs are this way some want to run an some wanna fight some will sit back an let the dogs bay an some are steady chasing dogs around trying to fight them
txswamphunter
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby mountaincurs » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:29 am

Having preaty much caught a bear with gritty curs and 2 bulldogs this summer i assure you bulldogs and bears dont mix, luckly it broke loose and got up a tree thank god lol. If you get some gritty curs that should fix your problems, I know around here there are more and more curs getting used on bears. in my mind if you sent the bulldog in on a bear they all will end up catching and that might be end up bad.
mountaincurs
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby groaners » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:10 pm

I too would recommend some good gritty cur dogs...fast, smart, tough...know when to bite which end, and when to get out of the way. I have a little 40 pound runt mountain cur, all heart, that will tree just about any bear--and our bears have a reputation for not treeing. Have not had a bear get away from him. I wouldn't want to hunt a dog that would just lock down and catch, not letting go on a bear...=dead dog.
groaners
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby houndnem » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:48 pm

thanks guys!!!!
houndnem
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby halfbreed » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:18 am

lol i just saw this post and started laughing at the thought of me useing my catchdogs on bear and visualized my ol cd hanging from a bears but up in a tree . i agree with a good cur dog in a pack but most the plott's i've been around was as gritty as my cur dogs on hogs .
hattak at ofi pisa
halfbreed
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby razorrb » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:07 am

What about Staghounds? I saw they were mentioned briefly in this post. Why not a Dogo? Curious not trying to stir the pot just curious.
Tree em' Hard!
razorrb
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby txswamphunter » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:02 am

razorrb wrote:What about Staghounds? I saw they were mentioned briefly in this post. Why not a Dogo? Curious not trying to stir the pot just curious.

what you wanna know about stags ? i use one
txswamphunter
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby razorrb » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:46 am

How they do on hogs etc....
Tree em' Hard!
razorrb
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby flhog » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:38 am

It depends on how u hunt. If u hunt with hounds and dont want to get them wrecked get u a bull dog dont really matter what type as long as he will catch and hold. When the dogs stop the hog walk ur bull dog in within bout 10 yards and turn him loose. I have a half american bull and half pit bout 90 lbs most everyone around here use pits, american, dogo, or cur bulldog cross. I doesnt really matter what type as long as he will CATCH and HOLD. As far a using a catch dog for bear u better have a vets number handy and a pocket full of money u will need it! U have to be careful when buying a catch dog. It is just like a good strike or trail dog most people dont get rid of good ones. Make sure u see him/her catch a few hogs before u buy also make sure they have good teeth ie broken, missing. Make sure they get along with other dogs!!!! I have gone to a bay several times and and found the bull dog caught another dog. If u have the time get a young dog 8/9 months old and train him ur self but if u dont be careful on what u get.
flhog

Return to Hog Hunting