Cheap and easy dog house plans

Share Ideas, Plans and what ever else about kennels and dog Boxes.

Cheap and easy dog house plans

Postby Hummer » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:36 am

Here is a simple plan for a dog house if anyone is interested. All you need is a sheet if 1/2" plywood, some 2x2's and a hand full of drywall screws. For a couple bucks more I insulate mine with 1-1/2" styrofoam and then line the inside with 1/4" chip board. Throw some paint on it and you will have a house that will last you quite a few years. I also hinge my roofs so its simple to change or add bedding. It gets pretty cold here in the winter so I add a flap on the door out of old belting and some straw and the dogs stay toasty warm all winter.

Just click on the picture for a bigger image.

Hummer
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Paul Conway » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:47 am

Hummer I used your plans the last time you put them up, modifying them a bit for my preferances. Your diagram was great. I had a bunch of houses to make and like mine a bit bigger so I used a sheet and a half or so to make each. Other than that I put my hole high on one of the long sides and instead of hinging the top I made a 2x4 lip that fit inside the top opening to hold the top in place and overhung the top on all sides (thinking this might eliminate some of the weather related wear and increase box life- who knows) Overhang on the side where the entry hole is was about 7 inches, 4-5 inches on other sides. Also ran three pressure treated 2x4 along the two long edges and middle to keep the bottom plywood from rottin away to fast. Your diagram sure helped me plan mine out on paper as I am evidently visually architecturally (can't even spell it) impaired. used the scrap wood I had around the house. Thanks again for the diagram. Thanks, PauLC.
Paul Conway
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby treeing walkers » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:32 pm

I always just used the store idea, what till they are on sale and then go buy 5 for a 100 and snap top to bottom fill with cedar. :lol: :lol:

But if you are not lazy like me that should help you get a doggy house !!!!
If It Wasn't For Hounds, Beer, and Kids I Would Be A Wealthy Man
treeing walkers
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby pete richardson » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:56 am

paul your right about overhang on dog boxes-- especially on the side the door is on -- ive had some that i changed the roof once or twice but the rest was 20 years old -- i use pressure treated 2x4 on bottom also , but make a box of them -- kinda like mini foundation-- -- sometimes i make the floor double with an air space under it -
--that plan above is great when you are buying new lumber --get the most out of one sheet of plywood-

-- sometimes make kind of a baffle inside next to the door-- so the dog can go in and around the corner to block wind - the size and weight of my dog houses often depends on what i have available for scrap lumber lol
when the tailgate drops
pete richardson
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby bluedogs » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:22 pm

thats the kind of dog house i make but instead of putting the door were you did i like to put it on the side near a corner instead of the end i think it protects them from wind alittle more kind of makes a cubby they can get in and hide.
cant never could
bluedogs
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Cheap and easy dog house plans

Postby newby » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:09 pm

I used these plans and made 2 houses. I really liked the design, since I'm "construction challenged". The first one took me and my son (11) two hours. I made the second one today (by myself) and it only took 1 hour, but the first one was more fun! :D Thanks for the specs...appreciate it.
newby
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby budmandan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:21 pm

I built one of these last summer. I like it alot. I used 3/4 " treated plywood and just screwed the pieces together with Gorilla Glue at all the joints. Also I put a piece of foam insulation in the floor of it and just put a piece of regular 5/16 plywood on top of it. For the top I also insulated that by wrapping the outside with 2'x4' and using the 3/4" treated plywood for the roof. I then put a piece of foam inside of that with a piece of 5/16 regular plywood sandwiching it together. The top lifts off of it for fresh straw every few weeks. I also put 2'x4' runners on the bottom ofit to keep it off the ground and painted it with some old white house paint I had lying around. It works great. Been a damn cold winter and my dog has done real well with it.
Attachments
005.JPG
budmandan
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby mefishme1234 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:14 pm

I like that!! just save it to my pc for later use.. ty
mefishme1234
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Return to Kennels and Dog Boxes