color on a plott

Discuss pedigrees, post photos, and etc...

color on a plott

Postby Mississippi Hogger » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:47 am

I bought a plott the other day that im gonna use on hogs and we will be hunting him this Monday . It took him a few days to get used to me . Anyway Buck is a grade dog out of registered dogs, but he couldnt be papered because of his color . He is a redish blonde color . Does this happen often and would this be a throw back of something bred in to the plott lines years ago . wouldnt make me any difference if he was purple as long as he gets the job done .lol. Im trying to learn a little on oplotts because Im heading my program that way . thanks
" If your gonna be DUMB , You've got to be TUFF ! "
For me and my house , we will serve the LORD .
Mississippi Hogger

Re: color on a plott

Postby baybriar » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:25 pm

ive seen a few buckskin plott dogs an even some grey or blushish grey dogs butfar as i know or am concerned a plott is a plott buck skinnedor grey or brindle thats just my opinion
baybriar
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Mississippi Hogger » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:28 am

I was just curious on that color of were that comes fro . He is a reddish color with light variation of black on his back , but it is not very noticeable to the eye .
Mississippi Hogger

Postby newby » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:33 am

there's lots of discussion out there on the buckskin color phase in the Plott Dog. I'm sure there's even some posts on here if you did a search.

Here's one explanation:
Fawn (buckskin) is a recessive gene appearing in breeds that are predominently brindle in color, i.e. greyhounds, Great Danes, Pit Bulls, Staffordshire Terriers, boxers, and Plotts.
newby
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby walkerscan » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:32 pm

Mississippi Hogger wrote:I bought a plott the other day that im gonna use on hogs and we will be hunting him this Monday . It took him a few days to get used to me . Anyway Buck is a grade dog out of registered dogs, but he couldnt be papered because of his color . He is a redish blonde color . Does this happen often and would this be a throw back of something bred in to the plott lines years ago . wouldnt make me any difference if he was purple as long as he gets the job done .lol. Im trying to learn a little on oplotts because Im heading my program that way . thanks

Its a throw back i done some research on them , Not saying they are bad but there is a lot of info on why the colors are the way they are. They tried crossing [ Cur ] in them years ago. Look up Plott hound history on GOOGLE lot of reading on where they came from and how they got here.
walkerscan
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby newby » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:14 pm

Chances are the buckskin color pattern was with them further back than any "cur-crosses", as most good sources believe they were originally derived from a mix of Hanoverian Bloodhound dogs who have the brindle color pattern as well. Almost without exception, where there is brindle, you'll find fawn or "buckskin".
newby
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby halfbreed » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:02 pm

the plott [hounds] were orininaly cur dogs till they started breeding hound into them would be more correct . the colors of the original plotts are still recognized by the apa and akc but the npha and uck will not register the buckskin or solid black dogs due to their ignorance and at the request of a few individuals in the plott world that liked no other colors than brindle if it's from pure plott parents no matter the color it's a plott .
hattak at ofi pisa
halfbreed
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby scott sykes » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:41 pm

There is a lot of talk about the color of plotts. I've talked to one man who knows a lot about color, throwbacks, and buckskins his name is James Wanta. If you are wanting to register your dog (World Tree Dog) will do it.

Scott Sykes
Creswell NC
Scott Sykes
Creswell NC
scott sykes

Postby newby » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:05 pm

I don't usually tell people they're wrong, but respectfully, I have to disagree. They had hound in them before they came over seas. They definitely resembled curs in many of their traits from what I've read, but there's no denying that they had hound in their original dna.

here's an excerpt from plottdogs.com: I met both John and Von Plott in 1949. These men had no idea what kind of the blood the Germans used to develop the Plott Hound nor would John Plott verify what kind of out crosses had all been made with the breed since its introduction to America. He was the oldest living Plott breeder in this country at that time and if he didn't know, no one else could have either. It is believed that the closest blood relative to the Plott Hound is the Hanoverian Schweisshund. This breed exists today in the same geographical area that Johannes immigrated from. They are very similar in their size, color, and hunting traits. Vaughn told me we have no doubt improved them since they were brought to this country.

after reading it closer I mispoke saying they were crossed on the Hanoverian hound, but there is definitely a close relationship between the breeds denoting that they were and are actually hounds. however, the best ones I ever owned were shorter in leg, and body, had short ears, a broad head and a little longer, coarser hair and a slightly flagged tail. cur-like
newby
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby halfbreed » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:02 am

i hear ya but being an old fart . all the hound men around me refered to them as plott curs and even some of the original plotts family called them that as well . then they started the breeding for the more houndy looks and crossing them on bloodhounds and redbones and the like is my understanding on the story . i know they did try breeding to the leapord curs a bit but didn't last long . but i do love a good discussion on the breed . in fact any and all breeds of huntin dogs . lest we forget . i'm gettin long in the tooth but not above learning and hearing others opinions as well . personally i don't know why they quit putting cur blood in em . i hunt hogs with plotts and plott catahoula crosses and the crosses are better than either side of the pure parents .
hattak at ofi pisa
halfbreed
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Mississippi Hogger » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:06 am

Since I started this top the more and more I dig on it I think I found my answer . I think it was in the early breeding , when they did have some red bone mixed in . I think it was when some of the plott was mixed with the cable hounds . Some of the cable hounds had some red bone in them . Buck has turned out to be a good dog on hogs . His coat is red but not as dark red as some redbones . I have had a arguement or two on his color with getting told he wasnt a plott . :agmnt lol . I will agree on the cur part as well . The more I hunt these plotts , some of them do show similar characteristics like cur behavior to me . NOw that is just my opinion as well . But they do seem to be versitial , meaning I have seen a few used to hunt hogs with and used the next day to catch and pen cattle . And do a durn good job at both . I bought a brindle male the other day that has been coon hunted for several years but he seems to love hogs and has showed lots of interest in it . So they do seem cur like to me as well .
Mississippi Hogger

Postby Curtis Wilcox » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:06 am

My idea is color is no indication of hound breeding!Brindle is not a color it is a pattern,buckskin = red/tan/yellow and is a color.Hounds should be registered according to parentage not color or pattern.Ol'Curt 541 570 2863
Curt Wilcox
Curtis Wilcox
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby big sky kennels » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:22 am

"PR" Big Skys Axle...call him what you want, cur, redbone, I call him a bear catching SOB...he was just an old buckskin that nobody wanted...just wish he was brindle so people would stop calling him a " red dog "...nah not really, I like him just the way he is...

big sky kennels

Postby Mississippi Hogger » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:20 am

Big Sky Kennels ,

IF the dog in the truck is the one you are referring to as red dog , him and my buck dog are almost identical . Me and my buddies call him the " the red not a plott " due to a small arguement I had with a so called friend that very disrespectfully told me he wasnt a plott and kind of acted as if I was stupid for telling him that he was a plott . LOL . Which I ask him how many plotts had he ever hunted and he said a bunch . I had already new the dog was off of registered mama and daddy and tried to explain the throw back colors in the breed . :x You just dont disrespect a mans dog :oops: . And needless to say we dont hunt together anymore . But I wouldnt have my red dog any other way . Color dont mean nothing to him , he just wants to bay a pig .
Mississippi Hogger

Postby lacientenn » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:26 am

Color
Any shade of brindle (a streaked or striped pattern of dark hair imposed on a lighter background) is preferred. This includes the following brindle factors: yellow, buckskin, tan, brown, chocolate, liver, orange, red, light or dark gray, blue or Maltese, dilute black, and black. Other acceptable Plott colors are solid black, any shade of brindle, with black saddle, and black with brindle trim. A rare buckskin, devoid of any brindle, sometimes appears among litters; ranging from red fawn, sandy red, light cream, and yellow ochre, to dark fawn and golden tan. Some white on chest and feet is permissible as is a graying effect around the jaws and muzzle.

I got that from The AKC Plott Hound Standard and Buckskin is clearly on there. I'm not by any means an expert on these dogs considering i just now got my first Plott the other day but in my opinion it doesnt matter if a dog is dang green as long as its a good one and trust me... i am a vet tech... there ARE bad dogs. I hope that ^ was helpful for you!
lacientenn

Next

Return to Plott Hounds