coon trapping

Postby killemallboy » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:27 am

best bait for trapping coons what is it and where to get it
killemallboy
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: coon trapping

Postby Arkansas Frog » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:23 am

king mackerel fish at any General or Dollar store,put in a dirt hole set.and fish oil.
Frog
Arkansas Frog
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby livetohunt » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:18 am

Hey Ryan I have always had great luck with meat scraps from dinner just make sure to set it off the ground so you dont get a little stripped guest.
livetohunt
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby FullCryHounds » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:12 am

We need a lot more info like where are you trapping, leg holds or cage traps, what time of year and are these wild coons or city coons. Makes a big difference on what I use.
Dean Hendrickson
Pine, CO.
FullCryHounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby The Vise » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:11 am

peanut butter, pancake syrup, and marshmellows...... sardines caught me a black and white :-( Should have elevated but i dont worry too much about that if the bait aint fishy. No expert though
Get er done!
The Vise
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby killemallboy » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:29 am

ok they are killin my chickens and tourmenting my dogs just outta reach for them well any how i live ruaral so semi wild i geuss i have tried tuna and eggs white bread the trap will go off but no coon caught a couple house cats probably the neighbors but no coon i know there there i seen them so any advices and all thanks and i am using cage trap so i can train pups
killemallboy
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby schoonie » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:20 pm

use c.o.b. sweet feed get at your local feed store,put some in a tuna can in back of your live trap.coons are crazy over it
schoonie
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Arkansas Frog » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:06 pm

if your trap is going off no catch it is a rat setting it off. is that cage or foot trap?, i would get a no# 11 trap make a dirt hole near the chicken house, have the pan trigger filed right and you should catch him.
Frog
Arkansas Frog
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby killemallboy » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:11 pm

thanks for all the help guy very much appericated
killemallboy
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby FullCryHounds » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:40 pm

How could a rat be setting off a coon trap. They aren't heavy enough. Mice and rats can go in and steal the bait but they won't set off the trap. If you have foxes around, that is what is setting it off and not getting caught. Coon traps are usually 30 inches long and a fox is long enough that he can grab the bait, the door comes down and hits him on his butt, and he simply backs out. I have to use 36 inch long traps to catch foxes. This time of year, coons are looking for protein so any meat type bait should work well. Any scraps off the BBQ are best like chicken bones, steak bones or anything with a BBQ smell to it. Fish type baits work better in the spring. Sweet baits are notoriously good for coons any time of year. Keep the trap off the ground so skunks don't get in. Skunks can't climb so even a foot off the ground works fine. Make sure the trap doesn't rock around and is set firmly on what ever surface your setting it on. A trap that moves when an animal steps on it won't catch as much. If you are using the two door Havahart traps, they are worthless for coons. They aren't big enough to hold a large coon and when a coon is caught in one, they can roll the trap over and the doors simply fall open and the coon walks away. Safeguard cage traps are the best on the market. Coons have a hard time tearing them up and I've caught over 1000 coons and never had a single escape.
Dean Hendrickson
Pine, CO.
FullCryHounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby grouse » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:45 pm

The coon is probably reaching in from the side of the box trap and tripping the pan. Use doughnuts for bait and block the sides of the trap so they can't reach through, put a few chunks in front of the door to get them headed the right way.
Rick Brocious
grouse
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby livetohunt » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:14 pm

Hey Ryan one thing you might try too if you keep getting no shows is to use some chicken for bait. If they are getting your chickens then you already know they like that. Wire the door open for a day or two let them get use to going in and getting the food then set it and see what happens. Hows the knee doing? Give me a call when you get some time Chris.
livetohunt
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Arkansas Frog » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:59 pm

they are a slide bar that triggers the trap put it near the edge[if live trap] a good trap is double wired around the bottom so he can't get his paw in the trap.

if you can't catch a coon with fish I would call a trapper, for you are never going catch it, a coon is one of the easiest things to trap.

get you a piece of fat meat and grease that slide bar that trips the trap,it could be rusty and sticky.

if he is walking around the chicken house or fence set a #2 Bridger blind set,Boy i bet that really lost you. click on to Trapperman.com they are experts at it.
Frog
Arkansas Frog
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby davem » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:33 am

Find out if there are any guys with coon hounds in your area and invite them in for a hunt. :D Ask if you can tag along.
davem

Postby killemallboy » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:25 am

well i got dogs and i do hunt coon i have a jagd that will kill a coon but i have tried everything but not lube the slide bar that could be a prob didnot do it because of the smell of the grease i just had surgery chris it is painfull deffinatly not going hunting for a while so catching these anery little guys is about all i can do and cant really shoot them be cuse i got some neighbors so i will keep my self intertanied
killemallboy
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Next

Return to Trapping