coyotes

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs

coyotes

Postby bad moon » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:25 pm

i see guys talk about running coyotes with there hounds. how does this work exactly? do the dogs run it down and kill it? i cant really see them getting one up a tree...
never doubt the dogs
bad moon
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby michigan gunner » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:52 pm

Find a track, put the hounds on it. Try & get ahead of the dogs once it is jumped. They bayup sometimes, Circle or head for the next county! Never know.

http://nyhounder.proboards58.com/index.cgi

Lots of yoters on this site with tree hounds. Good site.
Take a kid out hunting......its our only chance
michigan gunner

Postby Paul Conway » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:54 pm

Mich. Gunner, circle or head for the next county- how true is that.
We usually cast the dogs on a track if there is snow and we can find one which we usually can- the trouble in PA is where is the track and where is it headed and roads and developments, lake communities, etc often dictate whether we release a hound on the track or not. We do free cast often as well. Cast them into a swamp or down a logging road or power line between swamps or thick patches of cover- just like roading them only letting thier legs do the work. The problem with running hounds is finding a good, good cold trailer. There noses just don't seem to be as cold as the treeing hounds. We have added a few treeing hounds to our pack and do have a 10 year old July hound that's pretty cold nosed and pretty savy at working out a track as well. We have a few plotts as well and one in particular that's just starting to come into her own that looks like she'll have a cold nose as well. Mostly running walkers, a few trigg walker crosses from a female and male I had, a July, several plotts and a few blueticks that hate a yote. Sometimes the hounds will bay em and kill em but our terrain doesn't lend itself to that. More often than not we shoot em in front of the hounds- hundreds of yards in front down to 20-50 yards or so depending on the chase. We release a hound or two and sometimes several others when we get one going, but that really depends on where were hunting and how safe from roads and private property they'll be. The chase can be compact in one large swamp or go from swamp to swamp to thick cover to overland to thick cover.. well you get the idea. Most of our hounds will run a bobcat, but don't have a clue about looking up. When a cat climbs a tree they think magic has happened LOL. another reason we've added some treeing hounds. Typically twelve guage with #4 buckshot*(#4 buckshot is the largest shot size that's legal in PA) sometimes a rifle, but moreso a shotgun. Paul Conway.
Paul Conway
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

millions of coyotes

Postby houndcrazyfool » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:14 am

If your dogs run coyotes in my area (central CA foothills) you will probably never see them again their are so many..haha.
houndcrazyfool
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

cyote

Postby cecil j. » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:04 pm

Paul Conway wrote:Mich. Gunner, circle or head for the next county- how true is that.
We usually cast the dogs on a track if there is snow and we can find one which we usually can- the trouble in PA is where is the track and where is it headed and roads and developments, lake communities, etc often dictate whether we release a hound on the track or not. We do free cast often as well. Cast them into a swamp or down a logging road or power line between swamps or thick patches of cover- just like roading them only letting thier legs do the work. The problem with running hounds is finding a good, good cold trailer. There noses just don't seem to be as cold as the treeing hounds. We have added a few treeing hounds to our pack and do have a 10 year old July hound that's pretty cold nosed and pretty savy at working out a track as well. We have a few plotts as well and one in particular that's just starting to come into her own that looks like she'll have a cold nose as well. Mostly running walkers, a few trigg walker crosses from a female and male I had, a July, several plotts and a few blueticks that hate a yote. Sometimes the hounds will bay em and kill em but our terrain doesn't lend itself to that. More often than not we shoot em in front of the hounds- hundreds of yards in front down to 20-50 yards or so depending on the chase. We release a hound or two and sometimes several others when we get one going, but that really depends on where were hunting and how safe from roads and private property they'll be. The chase can be compact in one large swamp or go from swamp to swamp to thick cover to overland to thick cover.. well you get the idea. Most of our hounds will run a bobcat, but don't have a clue about looking up. When a cat climbs a tree they think magic has happened LOL. another reason we've added some treeing hounds. Typically twelve guage with #4 buckshot*(#4 buckshot is the largest shot size that's legal in PA) sometimes a rifle, but moreso a shotgun. Paul Conway.
I use too run cyote for a very few yrs in central northern ca in the foothils and up in the pacific mtn range there and I ran 2 calhound gyps/ they run a grafox about 15-25 minutes and kille him on the ground/or a black legged gray hill fox maybe 30-45 minutesand run hum down and killed em too/ red fox in the sacramento valley they hooked up in the riverbottem s and run around and would go out into a farm plowed field around back and forth and either keep him in the 160 ac field an whole him or catch and kill him all with in 45 minutes too i hr. On cyote they didn`t kill a one my 2 gyps was young and not 3-6 yr old hounds/they run too catch and singled-on off and out and run him too a bay-up/even once too getten a big dog cyote frozen legged stiffed up/couldnt move futher. Mike over on the coat however accorden too Sonny Kendrick had some bad cyote dogs that would lay one low ? get on a hill with a cyote call and call you can get one too come/turn loose an run him in the area of your choice .
cecil j.
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby CasB » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:34 pm

Mr Cecil,
Tell me more about those Calhoun dogs. I heard they were usually solid black with maybe a little white blaze on their chest??
CasB
Moscow, PA
Maplewood Plotts
CasB
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

calhounds& Plott x Calhound hound

Postby cecil j. » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:59 pm

CasB wrote:Mr Cecil,
Tell me more about those Calhoun dogs. I heard they were usually solid black with maybe a little white blaze on their chest??

Hey bud, I owned 3 of em . 2 was females and was from Leeroy Eppley of Ohio/ a 1 yr old named Diamonds/ she was high taned saddle back (had some of Leeroys own mixruew in her of something else/ + Owdey Calhounds blood out of The Tall Dark Stranger x The Brown Long String and she was (hunters Horn regestered rolls)
The other female was just turned 2 yrs old and frll Odey Calhound line of direct sired by The Tall Dark Stranger x Old Brown String. I think now that I remember back the above pup was father daughter line bred 3 ed same sire to gd daughter for the Diamonds high taned an taned legges saddle back gyp. However the 2 yr old Neitha (ol Nettie) was not and she come directly out of Oddie Calhounds pen in Ky. too Leeroys neighbor up the rd from him in Oh.Leeroy shiped me the 2 gyps and he hadent shped on in years his wife told me too anyone ! I felt privaledged !
The 3 ed hound was a male in a earler erra out here in Ca. but itwas part Calhound part Plott named Dan . about 13 months of age and I got him from some hunters out of the bay area who got 4 littermates from the old lion hunter over in the coast towards santa rossa or someweres. He used em on ltn lion,bear and they treed up with long lonesome horn voiced! As I remember it both Nettie and Dan was both black with muddlen in their face and in their lower 4 legs .I owned Dan in 64-65 when I had too Ishmo Kidd bred male Plott hounds named Tommy & Drumm .
Full Calhounds accorden too Leeroy and Oddy come full black, or black with muddlen in face and lower legs , and red coated also . They could have sometimes sliver of white on chest like some Plott hounds did back in the 50-60 erra.
There is a book in print (the Family Hound) of Calhound heritage by Oddie Calhound of ky. he is dead, so is Leeroy and Ralph Aston of Saceamento Ca had a copy he bought from Oddie I believe. I seen it and read it and got hold of Leeroy and Oddy anf thats how I got Neitha & Diamonds/ Ralph up and give Diamonds too Jr. Kregger of So. Ca. and LOL Jr. found it it was my dog not Ralphs too give and he drove plum down too sacramento with the dog in the box/ but Ralph had fixed me up with a bluetick named Lead for trade instead. and he got Lead from Scotty & Kennith ElRodd of Martinnes Ca./turned out too be one hell of a coon and biggame hound and I got hom brike off deer pretty quickly and that wasvthe onlyest thing the matter with the dog & why they let Ralph get him off them.
so that pretty much the collor of em as i understand it/ Iknow Junior incorpurated-it in too his line hed bee hunten and it changed there color from tri colored and tickrd santa marria walker line too solid colored hounds or hightans with saddle back ......................................................................................1 Also Ralph bred intoo it from Dimonds and his ol Santa Marria line of ole Toby there in sacramento Ca

jack Pepper
cecil j.
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Return to Big Game Hunting With Dogs