docked/shortened tails on hounds?

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs

docked/shortened tails on hounds?

Postby Outlaw 3 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:32 pm

Why do some houndsmen dock the tails of their hounds? The only thing I could think of is maybe the hound was kenneled and wore the end of his tail bloody against the fence so this was to prevent that. We had that problem with a lot out of our walker dogs. Around here I have never seen this done (accept when our old Black and tan had his back and hip broke by a bear so it had to be removed.), but it looks like quite a few guys practice this out west. I am sure there is a really good reason for it I am missing and would really like to know. I doubt it is strictly for looks. Also is it done typically for pups or do you wait until they are grown and see if it is a problem? Thanks for your answers.
Chris Henderson
Outlaw Hounds
http://www.outlawhounds.webs.com
Outlaw 3
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: docked/shortened tails on hounds?

Postby sheba » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:33 pm

Because some old famous lion hunter did it and so I need to do it also to look like I know what I'm doing!!!!(JMO)

you will also hear that in tough trailing condtions some dogs whip their tail so much that they start to bleed and this loss of blood can cause some waekness in the dog while they are still trying to move that old damn track
sheba
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby lsorenso » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:56 pm

We dock their tails when they are two days old also cut their dew claws. We like the docked tails cause we do alot of huntin in oak brush and always getting the ends wore off and bloody. I am also famous for slammin long tails in dog boxes and tailgates, but mostly just somethin we do to kinda mark our dogs and help identify them.
lsorenso
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby houndcrzy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:16 pm

Actually Sheba beleive it or not, those old lion hunters DID do that for a REASON, and the reason is as explained above. Guys dont do it to be fashionable, or cause the old boys did it! They did it because some dogs seem to constantly rip and cut there tails near the end. I know cause I got one. If the "whip" part of the tail is removed it eliminates the problem. Some dogs do and some don't have a problem with it. But if you wanna ensure you dont find one of your dogs half dead at a tree cause the majority of his blood is scattered all over the ground, I think its a good plan :D But heck thats just my opinion :roll: I know i'll have it done to any future pups I get....gotta give em' and advantage we can right! :D
The fascination of hunting cougar with hounds lies in the discovery and unravelling of a complicated trail, watching an honest hound strike out on a track that has been found and read, and finally bringing the animal to bay so that you can see it for yourself---Jerry A. Lewis
houndcrzy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby poser » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:32 pm

I cut my pups tails, dew claws and pads because Frosty is famous and i wanna be just like him when i grow up.
I'm thankful for being dumb and slow, then i don't have to over think this stuff.

Best of wishes....
Jason Sorensen (801) 633-4659
Trashy Mustang Hounds
poser
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:52 pm

Lots of great information here and right on!

I don't really dock my dogs tails bird dog short like some of the guys do but I do take that whip out of the end and that is about all it takes. Actially if you leave about a 3/4 tail maybe a little more it really looks good and sort of like a flag when theose dogs are trailing and working.

I recall many years ago a really nice little red and white hound from Utah out of Hal's old Smoke dog. He was a lion trailing son of a bee and just a nice dog to be around. He had a full tail however and he belonged to a good friend of mine. After three or four days of hard hunting and I mean we were catching lots of lions with him he was as weak as a sick kitten from losing so much blood out of his tail. On snow you could just trail him by the pink path and it wasn't a good thing. I have also seen dogs that started losing a lot of blood out of their feet in crusted snow or lave rocks and compound that with a whipping bloody tail and you probably won't do too good. Not much you can do about the feet except condtion them and hope they are tuff footed and tuff hearted enough to stand it, but that tail is pretty easy to fix if you do it when they are born.
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby lsorenso » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:50 pm

Poser, you dumb a$$ you got it all wrong. I may be famous, but famous for being stupid, and having frosty eyebrows, you are headed down the wrong path buddy!
lsorenso
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby poser » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:27 am

I'll go down any path that you want me too.....you famous, frosty eyebrowed master!

I personally cut my dogs tails shorter then most. My buddies like them about half. What ever works for you and makes you feel like a famous old lion hunter i guess.

I wish that i could go back and also whack my older dogs dew claws and pads off. Doesn't make them hunt any harder but might make the difference in their feet getting soar or not. Course i haven't had much trouble with them getting too soar on the chain, thats where they spend most of their time.

Heres a few pics. It's hard to really see but this might help.

with dew claws and pads

no dew claws and pads

3 month old pup that has been cut
I'm thankful for being dumb and slow, then i don't have to over think this stuff.

Best of wishes....
Jason Sorensen (801) 633-4659
Trashy Mustang Hounds
poser
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Mr.pacojack » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:34 am

I have never done it but hunting with Van's dogs in the heavy brush my dogs started getting a little blood on the tails. I am going to start. Another reason I am going to do mine is so they go to hunters and not end up on a show bench.
LIGHTNING RIDGE KENNELS
Walker breeding at it's best
Used to Catch Big Game
Our choice is as simple as Black and White
Devin Staker
970-756-5998
http://www.forum.workingdogsworldwide.com/
Mr.pacojack
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Josh Kunde » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:57 am

could someone elaborate on the cutting of the pads for me? I have never heard of this besides some small references in a couple of posts.
Josh Kunde
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Rockcreek » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:12 am

Frosty is my HERO! :D
Mason Workman
702-686-5035
Got Hounds?
Rockcreek
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lsorenso » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:54 am

I am just overwhelmed with joy. Now I am someones hero. I guess if some of you others would get frosty eyebrows, and then shit on by a bear you could be heroes too!! Mason, you dip$hit, set you standards a little higher!
lsorenso
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Outlaw 3 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:20 pm

Thanks for the replies. I learn a little bit every day. Can you all explain the pad cutting? Is it just the upper pad behind the dew claw? I have had trouble with dogs that are really hard tree dogs rubbing these upper pads raw and even ripping the dew claws sideways from hugging or climbing the tree.
Chris Henderson
Outlaw Hounds
http://www.outlawhounds.webs.com
Outlaw 3
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Rockcreek » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:06 pm

Outlaw 3 wrote:Thanks for the replies. I learn a little bit every day. Can you all explain the pad cutting? Is it just the upper pad behind the dew claw? I have had trouble with dogs that are really hard tree dogs rubbing these upper pads raw and even ripping the dew claws sideways from hugging or climbing the tree.

That's the pad. You listed one of the many reasons to take it off. In hard crusted,frozen snow it can get raw or cut by the dog punching through the top, just like a dew claw. At 2-3 days old, they are nothing to just clip off.

Take care.
Mason
Mason Workman
702-686-5035
Got Hounds?
Rockcreek
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Mr.pacojack » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:26 pm

I just did a litter and did it as DanV explained in the Health forum. I did the Tials, Dew claws and pads. It worked so good and was so much easier on the pups with little or no bleeding.
LIGHTNING RIDGE KENNELS
Walker breeding at it's best
Used to Catch Big Game
Our choice is as simple as Black and White
Devin Staker
970-756-5998
http://www.forum.workingdogsworldwide.com/
Mr.pacojack
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Next

Return to Big Game Hunting With Dogs