electrical fence keeping hounds in the yard..do they work?

General DiscussionForum

electrical fence keeping hounds in the yard..do they work?

Postby southwestwalkers » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:38 pm

Anyone use them and do they work with keeping a hound in the yard?

thanks,
For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God - 1 Corinthians 1:18 (NIV)
southwestwalkers
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: electrical fence keeping hounds in the yard..do they wor

Postby pegleg » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:54 pm

the ones with the collar and buried line? some they do unless something gets their interest then they all run through it squalling. some figure out how to entice another dog to go through and cut through down the line from them so they don't get zapped. not really worth it in my opinion.
regular electric fence wire run at the bottom and top of a existing fence work great best set up I've seen besides roofing the kennel.
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby FullCryHounds » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:55 pm

If your talking about an underground fence, NO, not a chance.
Dean Hendrickson
Pine, CO.
FullCryHounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby southwestwalkers » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:12 pm

I figured that... underground fencing won't have a chance.
For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God - 1 Corinthians 1:18 (NIV)
southwestwalkers
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby BlacktailStalker » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:09 am

red snapper cattle fence works, I use one.
BlacktailStalker
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby southwestwalkers » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:34 am

I'm guessing that red snapper cattle fence is a above ground fence?
southwestwalkers
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby FullCryHounds » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:42 am

I have a six foot tall fence around my dogs with a 54 inch fence burried underground so they can't dig out. I have bears and lions all around my place so this is the only way to keep them in if something walks by. The cattle type electric fence is great if you need to keep dogs from digging under or going over a fence. It is a single wire that is strung along the top and bottom of a regular fence. It is hot all the time.
Any type of electric fence like the underground or similar type that you need to keep a collar on your dog doesn't work well for the long term because your dog will end up with hot sores under his neck where the prongs on the collar contact his neck. So you need to think long term what will work best for you.
Dean Hendrickson
Pine, CO.
FullCryHounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby tman308 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:47 pm

I have run an above ground electric fence for 7 years now and don't have any escape artists. I have a perimeter fence that has a hot wire 8 inches from ground and one 4 feet from the ground. They run parellel on the fence and tie into a red snapper energizer. It works great. I have also used Wick's method of breaking dogs with the fence by hanging a scented rag on the wire and when they go to smell it they get shocked.
Tman308

Hunt Hard, Hunt Smart, Have Fun, and take your kids with you!
tman308
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby amos » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:32 am

Hey guys, I keep six running walker and July's behind an underground containment fence. The key factor is, you got to be smarter than the dogs. The only time mine ever get out is if I forget to charge their collar or the electricity goes off. The system has a reminder, but I don't turn it on. You can also put batteries on the system, which I don't do. If I lived in town I would be more serious about the system. My system works so good that all my neighbors now have their dogs behind the wire. I must say there is a trick to keeping the hounds behind a simple wire, but it can be done. I have a five acre wooded lot fenced in. I love to watch my dogs play chase. I run coyotes in pens, so when my dogs get bored one dog will be "it" and all the other dogs will chase him until he goes into his safe place, and the game is over. lol
Now, the first person who can tell me what the trick is wins a brand new fur-lined pee-pot. If you will think about it long enough you will figure it out. (How do you keep a stupid hound dog behind an underground wire when coyotes and deer walk through the yard almost every night?) Oh! and one or two stray dogs have been dumb enough to cross the wire. The U.P.S. man can't figure out why them dogs bark so viciously and all of them stand in a line next to one another but never come over to where he is? I have the wire run so the dogs can't get up near the house or parking area. Ya'll let me know the trick now. I forgot my dogs never have sores under their necks either. You can work on that solution to.
amos

Return to General Forum