Grouse Hunting

A place to talk about Deer/Elk Hunting and any other BigGame or Small game hunting Without dogs.

Grouse Hunting

Postby Huntin Hounds » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:17 pm

Has anybody ever used bird dogs for grouse? What breed have you had the best luck with and how did you train it? I always see tons of grouse out bear hunting in the fall and thought it would be fun to go back to those areas later in the day after the bear hunt.
Thanks Tim
Huntin Hounds
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: Grouse Hunting

Postby Unreal_tk » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:37 pm

Depends on what you want from the dog. Yellow labs are a good all round dog. Natural flusher and retriever. And they make good family dogs and good mannered.

We just take them with us. Just teach them to fetch then eventually the natural part comes.
Unreal_tk
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Redneck » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:29 pm

labs are good all around dogs , German short hair german wire haired pointers are all bird dogs how deep are your pockets ,its like a good hound the more money u spend the better the dog should be my best dog was a 1/2 border coli and 1/2 lab eger to please as far a training fetch is all u will need to do with them and basic obedience , happy hunting
After the tail gate
drops the bull shit stops ,
you run em hard tree em harder
Redneck
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby outlaw13 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:00 pm

I had a top notch brittney 10 years ago that would do awesome on grouse, chuckar, quail and one of the best phesant dogs that ive ever seen.
If you're not offending idiots, you might be an idiot.- Ted Nugent

Go Big or Go Home!!!

Clint Berg
outlaw13
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby huntfish8 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:21 am

All I use for birds are chocolate labs. I'm am a very avid bird hunter mainly upland bird but do also a lot of duck and gouse. I have had springer spanules, germain shorthairs, brittney spanules and nothin beats a lab. I like the smaller ones feild bread not the show breads. The feild breads seem like they aren't so stuborn and the can last all day in a hunt. I bird hunt a lot just south east of spokane and huntin idaho as well. Pm me if u want to go out and do some bird hunting and u can see if. U like a lab or not or if u need help trainin a pup. That's my two cents...
huntfish8
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby mondomuttruner » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:36 pm

I,m parcial to Springer Spaniels. (small frame) Best companions, can't get em to stop hunting. Mine is 12 years old, 95% deaf from gunning in front of her, sleeps on the bed, part of the family. Nothing better than watching a springer hit bird scent and spring like a mule deer.
mondomuttruner
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Return to Other Hunting