hog hunting patterdale terriers

Talk about Hog hunting

hog hunting patterdale terriers

Postby TonyLee » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:58 am

wandering if anybody here hunts or knows anybody who hunts patterdales on hogs or anybody knows of any crosses I was considering crossing a buddy of mines big male patterdale about 25 pounds on a ridgeback what yall think of that cross
TonyLee
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: hog hunting patterdale terriers

Postby Brinkdog » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:40 am

i ahd a petterdale it got killed. but it was a decent dog. i loved hutning with it though it just made things alot more interesting. but i like the idea of the ridgeback cross. but i was going to find a small beagle to breed mine to to get more nose.
straight grit
Brinkdog
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby TonyLee » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:52 pm

Last edited by TonyLee on Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
TonyLee
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby longshot » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:26 pm

got going any tips or advice would be great

Quit fooling around trying to make a cross yourself. Save yourself a lot of trouble and money and go buy a JAGD.

They are plenty rough and have a good nose more like a hound. They can run all day and are only 25lbs average.

Good Luck
Longshot
Wildschweinjäger

support hound hunting http://www.tdha.net

Texas Hog Hunting http://www.texashogdogs.com
longshot
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby TonyLee » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:34 pm

I just realy like my patterdales the cross was only an idea I doubt I will do the ridgeback cross but will probably add some patt blood in my rabbit dogs for jump dogs instead of fiest , I have considered another jagd to use with my patterdales ones i had where keen lil hunters and asgame as could be but just a little nuts is there a good bloodline that throws a little calmer dogs
Last edited by TonyLee on Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TonyLee
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby lifreediver » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:06 am

hi Tony ever think about a 30 pound female pit.If you hunt a spot with a lot of hogs they can kick up and catch there own hogs.A guide in texas swears his best dog ever. My freinds used to cross paterdale and pit with whippet for rabbits and wood chuck once in a while they would tackle a white tail oops most not any better than a good whippet.
to be a hybrid the dogs have to be closely related plot to walker pit to dogo etc .You might like a lurcher or a stag some have a nose .I have not done any crosses but Im sure these guys have crossed almost every type and still crossing breeds.
I think in florida on state land dogs have to be under 17 inches.Not sure . I am new to hog hunting no expert learning the ropes. And having fun enjoy
lifreediver
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Brinkdog » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:12 am

mine was real catchy to start off with but he calmed down after being sliced up numerous times but the hog had to win his respect or he would catch it and when he caught he held on just like a pit
straight grit
Brinkdog
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby TonyLee » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:29 am

Last edited by TonyLee on Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
TonyLee
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby shock » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:44 am

I hunt hogs with patterdales, I have also used jagds, and jacks. You can go to my web site google California Catchers. The one thing I like about the Patterdale is they run silent. Some of the jacks would yip and almost all the jagds(that I have had,about 7 from different bloodlines) would yip when a hog broke.
shock

Postby BMC97756 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:34 pm

I have had GREAT luck with the Patterdale Jagd crosses and I got a Lurcher(GreyXPit/Airedale) that will do anything you ask of him, I think the combo of terrier and lurcher works great.. If you want a dog to run and catch I would get a real good Staghound as I have seen them wind their own game and catch yotes from a 1/2 mile away, but be careful not to get one that is mostly Grey as they are not the same at all as a stag..
BMC97756
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Return to Hog Hunting