hound pit bull cross ever had one???

Talk about Hog hunting

hound pit bull cross ever had one???

Postby waylon » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:41 pm

Last edited by waylon on Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ROMANS 3:24
LET YOUR HOUNDS DO THE BRAGGING
waylon
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: hound pit bull cross ever had one???

Postby beaglewalkerhunter4 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:03 am

closest thing to one i've seen is a border collie, beagle, pit. and thats a hell of a dog. it can flat out fly and is very athletic, fella runs it on deer :oops: and that sucker will run em down and trip em up and finish the job. silent on the trail, seen her catch a yote once while runnin with my beagle walker cross, they tore him up so from what i've seen pretty gritty, at least from my veiw, and I dont have the expierince to judge much. doesn't want anything to do with a track older then 5 minutes :roll: runs silent. not my cup of tea, but this dog could fill your fur shed. this is just from seeing this one dog, so maybe it's a fluke? but I say give it a try. what you runnin em on?
My best friend has four legs, two long ears, and a white tipped tail. Waste no time, wait for no one, to do what you love. "that hawk just kept flyin", Ben lilly.
beaglewalkerhunter4
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby plottpappaw » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:53 am

I've had two of them and had a problem with them catching other dogs more than game. Also had a problem with'm catching lil kids too! So mine never made it to far!
eph 2:8-9
plottpappaw
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby waylon » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:16 am

yeah thats 2 things i wont stand for is dog fighting and damn sure not kid biting (unless it's my brothers kids lol) really thoug this pup doesnt show much pit he looks like a plott hound with a ticked up chest lives with our barn cats and so far doesn't show a mean bone, if he does i'll smoke his head and leave it at that. sounds like you arent much of a pit fan what do you use for a catch dog, we have a female full blood pup i just got today she is a rough little cob hoping she doesnt show dog aggression- time will tell thanks for your imput men
waylon
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby bigboarstopper » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:45 am

I had a catahoula/pitt cross. It didnt last long. kinda retarted. Didnt bay, didnt catch. Only one Ive ever had so I cant say ive had too much experience. I had a friend who had one. I never saw it hunt except in pics. It looked like a pure pitt except it was spotted leopard like a catahoula. He said it was essentially a catch dog that he didnt have to keep on a lead. Said it never barked or bayed just cought.
bigboarstopper
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby plottpappaw » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:53 am

I myself prefer airedale hound crosses for catching!
eph 2:8-9
plottpappaw
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby three rivers catahoulas » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:36 pm

I have made the Catahoula X AB cross and they were gritty dogs, they ran silant but didn't bark much at the bay, they were to busy trying to or catchin. I have also made the Plott X AB, some of them were semi open, but just a few barks here and there on track, but boy when they got there it was all over, they were wicked dogs. I had one left out of all those pups, but he got killed a month ago. So I think your dogs gonna do ya just fine, good luck with him.
Chuck Ferrell & Devil Mt. Plott hounds
three rivers catahoulas
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby waylon » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:47 pm

thanks for the input guys, i am only about three years in to owning my own hog dogs(catahoulas) and dont know it all but i must have some gypsy blood in me cause i will try about any kind of cross that sounds like it might hunt. I am thinking hard about trying some mountain curs to add with my catahoulas, my dogs hunt good but if i get into a bunch of hard running hogs they start to fall off on me one by one.even thought about crossing them(catahoulas that is) on a running walker to try and help but i am worried about getting a open mouthed dog.
waylon
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Pops » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:01 am

you can't put together just any hound & any pit bulldog. there is a group of bear hunters up the road that use crossbred dogs. they don't have anymore fights (less in fact) than the guys i run with and they CATCH more bears. they try to keep their bull blood between 1/4 -1/16 but a lot of the dogs w/ less bull blood are still hard as a carbide bit. but to get to 1/4 they have to make the first 50/50 cross. they like a good redbone bitch under a cold bulldog. they will then cross the halfbreed to other breeds & crossbred hounds.

Bigboarstopper
that happens, even when you do a good linebreeding on super hounds, curs or what have you, you sometimes get a dud. don't let that one keep you from trying another. the majority i've seen have been either catch dogs you could run loose or really gritty baydogs that could stop a rank hog by themselves.
Pops
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby three rivers catahoulas » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:49 am

Waylon,
Try crossin your Catahoulas to a good Plott, for the most part(Not always) you will keep a silant dog, and your just putting a little more nose into'em, and you have a better chance on keepin them gritty enough to stick with a bad hog, and you'll get what your wantin, more leg and more wind. Although I have never had a real problem with Catahoulas runnin out of steam unless it was super hot, but most dogs will and the guy behind them for that matter. But that cross is a good one if you put the right dogs together. With those Camp-A-While dogs your runnin I would look at puttin them into a heavely Weem's bred Plott or Blackwater and Crockett or White Hollow, Those lines have made great hog dogs for me, they'll make good bear dogs too.
three rivers catahoulas
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby waylon » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:33 pm

yeah i have thought about trying some plott blood, man there just isnt but a hand full of plotts that i know of anywhere near me, i wont ship a dog anymore and hate to drive 200 miles. My truck which is my truck i drive daily and hunt out of is a 76 f-250 highboy it gets about 8-10 mpg and the wife frowns on me hauling dogs in the explorer. i would like to try some plotts or plott catahoula cross, bound to have better nose and like you said hounds can run somtimes longer than we can stay with,em. Have you found them to be far ranging cause i dont want that. I like to hit a hot hog track and bay with 30 min or less if possible and i do except on the arkansas river where that buch of hogs runs like who dunnit as soon as they now you there
waylon
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby three rivers catahoulas » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:58 pm

They range alittle further, but I think it all has to do with the dogs there huntin with and learn from as a young dog. I have had pure catahoulas range further then some hounds I have had, that Hobo dog was one of'em, he would flat get gone, he would check in every 30-45 min if there wasn't anything there, but he also made the races short, he new how to stop a hog, and when not to presure them. I will be heading to Durant OK this fall, if your wantin some proven hog dog lines I hae a few young dog here. But you should talk to Jim Morehead, He's got some pups on the ground right now, that are out of a full brother to my Hobo dog, they should make some great hog dogs, they are 100% Catahoula. PM me and I'll give you his phone number.
three rivers catahoulas
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby waylon » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:28 pm

Thanks alot, I have the salty dog web site on my favorites list I may call and talk with him and see what he has to say
waylon
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby bigboarstopper » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:15 am

I run alot with some airedale catahoula crosses and our races are pretty short. They are hot nosed dogs for the most part so my female catahoula/kemmer usually does the striking but the catahoula/airedale crosses do most of the stoppin. We still have the catchdog.
We hunted yesterday in the grape vinards, I left my catahoula/kemmer at home cause she is too pregnant to hunt and I have to say I was impressed with how the airedale/catahoulas will semi strike off the box. They wont open up but start a whining and thats good enough to dump em. Killed two hogs and the hogs were stopped within 600-800 yards.
Adding some rougher breeds of hunting dog into my line may be a better choice than goin the pitt/hound cross for a more even well balanced dog. My pregnant female is kemmer/catahoula and I bred her back to her own line except 1/2 is airedale/plott and Im pretty excited as to what the pups will produce.
bigboarstopper
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby nmplott » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:12 pm

I have some plott pups with the blackwater and whitehollow in them if anyone is interested
www.arrowbarkennels.com
Home of Plott hounds and American Bulldogs
nmplott
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Next

Return to Hog Hunting