How to set leg traps for bobcat

A Place to discuss Trapping

How to set leg traps for bobcat

Postby bullseyecowboy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:55 am

I am new to this but how do you set leg traps to cat a bobcat in the snow, do I use bobcat lure, or meat ( Chicken or sardines) It is very cold hear under 10 degrees every day and under zero at night. Please help.
bullseyecowboy
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: How to set leg traps for bobcat

Postby r_cordell » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:02 pm

use live traps if you can get one, and use a pigeon or rabbit (if legal) for bait.
[img]2009_1250089[/img]
r_cordell
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby bullseyecowboy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:41 pm

ok thanks for your help r_cordell
bullseyecowboy
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby NYCOYOTEHOUNDS » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:03 pm

a good gland lure and call lure
NYCOYOTEHOUNDS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby box rocker » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:28 am

Call them foot hold traps first of all it sounds better. When I lived in Montana I used mostly cubby sets 3 or 4 feet deep 2 to 3 feet tall. Take a little saw and cut green branches to make a tent, hut or little fort with a good size opening so the cat can see your bait in the back of the set from a good run with cat sign. when I would check sets it was on my sled so on my way I would target the snow shoes going in and out of there spots and set snares made with a fine craft wire. They make the best bait for bobs or lynx. Wire your rabbit in the back of the set hanging and put a little strong gland lure one made for cold weather back behind the rabbit. build your cubby like you are going to sleep in it during a snow storm. Put your trap or traps 1' to 16'' in the door so they don't get any weather and freeze up. If built right in the right spots you can use the same cubbys for years. If the snow is deep and you see where the critters are jumping through the snow cut a hole through the snow along side of a lung hole and insert a trap on a drag set inside a zip lock bag right where they are touching down. Put it in spots where the deer don't use and make sure to cover the hole you cut in and don't leave foot tracks walking up cover them to if needed. Release young and females with good feet. No need the be greedy if you want to use those cubbys for years. Have fun and get ready to skin some fur.
box rocker
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Return to Trapping