ICOM TRACKING BOX

Post your product review or ask questions on products

Postby bluewalkerlionhound » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:27 am

Had the r-20 and ( "HAD"should be all that is said.... )I couldn't get more than a mile out of it with marshall collars. and a Marshall wand. It was howwver great to pinpiont at close range but After 2 f&ls, using wildlifes,using rd-400,and using a field marshall...,I am going back to Marshall and I am getting the Marshall 4000 reciever now. I want the best and will get it now.The 4000 is one awsome reciever.
bluewalkerlionhound
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

icom r-10

Postby redsnook1125 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:39 am

anyone got an icom r-10 they want to get rid of let me know, i got a buddy looking for one.

Eric
redsnook1125

Postby bearcat » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:13 pm

I have a wildlife 1000 and believe it is the best with the possible exception of the Marshall, but both are over priced. I have used an icom r10, borrowed it from a friend for about a month while my 1000 was getting fixed. I really liked it, not quite the range but it worked good and was a lot lighter to pack. I do a lot of hiking on snowshoes cat hunting and after 7-8 hours the difference in weight between the big blue box and the icom is noticeable. Also the icom seems a lot more water resistant. Unfortunately they don't make the r10 anymore. Yaseu makes a similar model for a couple hundred bucks but I don't know anybody who has one. I've been thinking about trying one, the other Yaseu products i've used have been good, but I hate to be a guinea pig. Has anybody used the Yaseu?
bearcat
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Buddyw » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:49 pm

I have both a Wildlife 1000 and R-10, Bought the R-10 becuase I was hunitng with a guy who ran 150-151. and frankly he had better dogs then me.. So I was alway running around with all my young dogs in my box looking for his dogs..

My personal experience..

Blue box is better for me, takes me less time to cycle through 4 dogs and figure out what the picture looks like, are all the dogs in the race?, did a Pup turn back?. where are they heading?? How fast are they moving out?. etc.

Hiking on foot, hard to beat the light weight advantages of the ICOM.. takes me a little longer, and I'm not as confident with it at distances.. but it normally gets me into hearing range..... Or zapping range!!! :roll:
Buddyw
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby deerhunter17 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:19 am

theres a guy that I hunt with that has the r-10 and it does not get the range like the quick track boxes. I would rather have one of the quick track boxes over the icom any day.
deerhunter17

Postby Bar X Bar Ranch » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:20 am

Great Topic! All of this info has helped us out a bunch. We just started using an R-10 in New Mexico- alpine canyon type terrain. Getting real good range- about the same as my MN 10, and the ATT is perfect in the rims.
Any other advice out there?
Bar X Bar Ranch
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Trueblue » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:45 am

Bar x Bar,you have the pre- amp on yours,right ?
Trueblue
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby tntoutfitting » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:49 am

Marshall 4000 receiver, lighted Marshall collars piggy backed with a Tri-Tronics Trashbreaker and Astro GPS collar riding up top on same collar.... thats enuff stuff for any mutt to pack!! :shock: Trick then is find a pot licker worthy of haulin' all that fancy iron around. :twisted: Man then a guy has to find six or more like that to have a pack... :o
http://www.tntoutfitting.com

"if it aint broke ....yet....then I haven't used it all season" LOL
tntoutfitting
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Bar X Bar Ranch » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:16 pm

Hey TrueBlue- This one has an external GRE Super Amp. in-between the receiver and the antenna.

And when you can't find your dogs- you can go in WFM mode, punch in 94 Rock and listen to the radio while waiting!
Bar X Bar Ranch
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Trueblue » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:50 pm

The pre-amp makes a world of diffeerence.Couldn't get by without it.I dial mine into one of the t.v stations sometimes when I am in bear camp to catch the evening news.Used it as a scanner too.
Trueblue
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Previous

Return to Equipment and Product Review