Is it ok to keep my keep my dogs on concrete

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs

Is it ok to keep my keep my dogs on concrete

Postby London » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:00 am

Just wondering because I have some on dirt and some on concrete. what do you guys think?
London
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: Is it ok to keep my keep my dogs on concrete

Postby houndnem » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:15 am

should be fine. if it gets way cold throw some straw or wood chips down for them. if you don't do that they might end up like the dog on the porch on joe dirt! :wink:
"Houndn'Ems Blueticks" if it smells like a cat, they'll catch it.
houndnem
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:15 am

I like the ease of cleaning concrete. the down sides are it can actually lead to soft feet as it sands the pads and holds moisture which can soak into the pads softening them. the other main issue is joint problems from constant pressure and cold so a pad or wood chips in a sleeping area is a must if you want to get the most useful years out of your hounds.
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Jeff Eberle » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:14 pm

In all my concrete kennels I have a 4x4 sheet of plywood for them to lay on and most of the time that is what they lay on. during the day they are let out in the yard (dirt & rocks)
Get JESUS In Your Life & Your Dog's In The Wood's

CLAVEY RIVER CUR'S
Jeff Eberle
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby FullCryHounds » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:30 pm

I would say no if that is all they have to live on. The fact is that most houndsmen only get thier dogs out once a week at best, some stay in thier kennels for months on end. If you can honestly say you get your dogs out at least three times a week, then I think it would work fine.
It depends if you want whats best for your dogs or whats best for you. There is nothing about cement that is good for your dog. They will get sore feet, no conditioning for thier feet and they will also get sores from laying on it. If you want whats easiest to clean, then cement is what you want. Yes, I'm very opinionated when it comes to taking care of your hounds.
Dean Hendrickson
Pine, CO.
FullCryHounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby slowandeasy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:00 pm

i agree with all that voted against concrete. not much good will come from it,at least in this part of the country. if on concrete get ready for many blowed pads :(
Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty
slowandeasy
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1whitedog » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:51 pm

i would have to say go with no concrete. just think what happens to peoples joints that work on concrete all the time. i would also echo the concerns brought up by others as far as temp. etc. if i was going to go with concrete i think i would use enterlocking rubber mats on top of the concrete like what you would find in a dairy or in a horse barn. dont buy the horse mats, you can get ones like them for half the price with out the word horse in front of them. i believe this is what im going to with for my next kennel. yes, i know they are not cheap.
1whitedog

Postby larry » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:00 pm

Feet don't benefit from concrete and toenails will get long on concrete, have done both and prefer dirt now.
larry
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Trailhound » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:31 pm

I've had both dirt and concrete, the nice thing about concrete is that it's easy to clean and maintain, I have mine hooked up to my septic system.

But i do find concrete to be harder on the dogs. I see some guys use half concrete half dirt looks like that would work well.
Trailhound
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby nmplott » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:11 pm

for those that do not use concrete what do you do to keep your dogs from digging?
www.arrowbarkennels.com
Home of Plott hounds and American Bulldogs
nmplott
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby live to hunt » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:12 pm

concrete is the best there is! There is no digging no urine or feces smell and they are very easy to clean and disinfect. I have a ten dog kennel half covered half open with five inches of fall to it that drains into a septic and I spend less time cleaning up after the dogs and more time hunting them. If you condition your dogs you will have no problems with joints or blown pads.
live to hunt
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby houndnem » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:49 pm

nmplott wrote:for those that do not use concrete what do you do to keep your dogs from digging?

I have two kennels, one is on solid sand stone so let em try to dig. the other one I just used the same welded horse fence that I used on the walls and ceiling and put it on the floor too. then I covered it in 2" wood chips. the dogs love to dig holes and lay in the wood chips. as far as cleanup, the sandstone one cleans up nice, but the wire fence and wood chips doesn't. the turds just become hard and part of the wood chips.
"Houndn'Ems Blueticks" if it smells like a cat, they'll catch it.
houndnem
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby FullCryHounds » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:00 pm

nmplott, I have one acre fenced for my dogs. My fence is 6' high. Most don't have to have a fence that tall but I have lions and bears walk around my place every month so any lower fence and they can jump it. Attached to the bottom of that fence and laying inward towards the inside of the area, I have a 54" fence laying on the ground and buried under 6" of dirt. It is attached to the vertical fence at the bottom so it is impossible for any dogs to dig out. You have to use class 1 galvenized fence if you plan on burying it so it doesn't rust out. I'm going on 13 years and it is still in great shape.
I keep all my dogs, all males, together 24hrs a day. One 8 foot long insulated dog box all the dogs use when its cold. One heated water bucket. Extrememly low maintance, about 1/10 the time as messing with kennels every day. Going on 13 years with this setup and will never go back to kennels. Foot problems are nonexistant, conditioning is no longer an issue, no barking because they are bored sitting in a kennel every day and the best part is I haven't had a dog to the vet in 12 years for any health issues. Kennels cause all kinds of problems mentally and phsycally with your dogs. I've come to hate them after going to this setup.
Dean Hendrickson
Pine, CO.
FullCryHounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby krk hunting » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:43 pm

Full cry I have to disagree with use of concrete, if you are comparing it to a acre run and both conditions dogs don't get used you are correct, so there are more variables to consider in the question. If the dogs don't get exercised or run on a regular basis then concrete is harder on the dog, if the dogs get exercised or hunted 3-4 days a week and good bedding then concrete is just fine or even better than on a chain in the dirt for up keep and sanitary conditions. have had it both ways and prefer the concrete, but my dogs get out 3-5 days a week.

Thx,

Junk
Product is Important but the Experience is Everlasting
krk hunting
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby FullCryHounds » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:03 pm

Read my first post above. Here's what I said "If you can honestly say you get your dogs out at least three times a week, then I think it would work fine." I think thats the same as what your saying. What percent of houndsman do you think get thier dogs out 3-4 days a week? 5% maybe.
Dean Hendrickson
Pine, CO.
FullCryHounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Next

Return to Big Game Hunting With Dogs