lee brothers

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs

lee brothers

Postby rosin » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:26 pm

Is there any dogs out there that are related to the lee brothers? I am looking for some old rangey looking hounds with cold noses.
rosin
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: lee brothers

Postby BEARCLAW » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:43 am

ROSIN

DAN LAY IN BRITISH COLUMBIA HAS SOME LEE BROTHER STOCK BRED INTO HIS DOGS. HE IS PROBABLY ONE OF THE CLOSER ONES TO YOUR PROVINCE. I DONT KNOW IF HE IS STILL BREEDING DOGS OR HOW IS HEALTH IS FOR THAT MATTER BUT IM SURE THERE IS STILL A FEW PEOPLE KEEPING THAT LINE GOING. HE USED TO LIVE AT ONE FIFTY MILE HOUSE.

I IMAGINE ANYTHING THAT IS CLAIMED TO BE LEE BROTHER STOCK WILL BE VERY DILUTED BLOOD. MAJESTICS OR BLUE GASCONS MIGHT BE SOME CHOICES THAT WOULD FIT INTO THE CATEGORY YOUR LOOKING FOR. THE LANCASTER'S SEEM TO DO REAL WELL WITH THEIR CROSS OF MAJESTICS AND I BELIEVE THAT THEY HAVE CROSSED SOME OF THEIR STOCK WITH THE LAZER HOUNDS. THIS IS SECOND HAND INFO SO DONT QUOTE ME.

THEIR IS PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD THAT HAVE A WEALTH OF INFO. MAYBE THEY WILL HELP CONTRIBUTE. GOOD LUCK AND GOOD HUNTING.
BEARCLAW
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby rosin » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:07 am

thanks for the info i heard dan laye had lee bro hounds but i also heard it was next to impossible to get a dog from him . i have been looking at majestics also . thanks again for the help
rosin
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:57 pm

Not much of the real Lee blood left I am afraid. A lot of dogs sold by the Lees did not have any of their orginal english/bloodhound cross or even reg. bluetick blood in them.Some of the best of the old blood that was left in the southwest has been kept by a few select houndmen and yes they are hard to get a dog from. Terrell Shelly of Cliff, NM has some of the best of the orginal Lilly/Thompson blood, and has a reputation for some of the best cold trailers around. The Hagar the Horrible dog that Shorty on this forum has probably has as much of the orginal southwest breeding in him left. He is tall, rangey and all hound. Dan V, Bearclaw, and I have some of his get crossed on Goswick Arizona bred and Jeff Allan Utah bred hounds.

Dan Lay had some really good dogs and going back to Jimmy Dewar's original dogs that he carried from the Lees and Goswicks in Arizona to BC. My best ever so far houndI Big John) had a healthy dose of Layser/Goswick in him and I still have some of that blood.
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby rosin » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:23 am

mike ,
i figured they would be next to impossible to get . i hunt with a fellow who had some of dan layes hounds (got these dogs from another fellow who got them from dan) and he said there was no dogs like them . he got out of dogs for a few years and now is back in to them ,and cant get his hands on anything that compares to his old dogs . he also tryed to get some dogs from dan but had no luck this was a few years back tho. he gave me his name and told me to try if i wanted to but never knew if he evan still had any dogs .and figured i would not have any luck anyways
rosin
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:33 am

I don't know Bearclaw you got any pups left? Those out of Hagar ought to be about like the Lay dogs. Maybe a little more atheltic. If not Salt Lick Steve is raising some mighty fine Majestics and some of these guys hunting the bad country out here are having good luck with those out of that Big Red dog he has.
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby rosin » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:45 am

ive got in touch with saltlick kennels they got some pups . good looking hounds and if they work as well as advertised im sure they will it might be what im looking for . thanks for the info guys
rosin
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby BEARCLAW » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:18 am

ROSIN, MIKE

MY PUPS HAVE ALL BEEN PLACED. I KEPT TWO OUT OF THAT CROSS AND I LIKE THEM A LOT. THE OTHERS HAVE BEEN PLACED WITH FRIENDS THAT ARE NOT FAR AWAY. ITS STILL TO EARLY TO TELL WHAT THEY ARE MADE OF. DAN V AND I ARE GOING TO HUNT THE HAIR OFF THEM HAGAR PUPS AND HOPEFULLY BY THE END OF THIS YEAR WE WILL HAVE A FULL REPORT. I HAVE BEEN HUNTING THEIR MOTHER ON CATS THIS YEAR AND SHE IS THE LEAD DOG EIGHTY PERCENT OF THE TIME. WHEN THEY MAKE A LOSE SHE IS ALWAYS QUICK TO PICK IT UP.

DAN LAY KEPT A PRETTY TIGHT ROPE ON HIS STOCK OF DOGS BUT IF YOU WERE PATIENT AND HAD SOME MONEY YOU COULD GET ONE. TWELVE YEARS AGO HE WAS GETTING FIVE HUNDRED A PUP. HE WOULD GURANTEE THE DOG FOR AS LONG AS YOU OWNED IT. I BOUGHT ONE AND WAS VERY IMPRESSED WITH SOME ASPECTS. HAD A GUY FROM MISSOULA MONTANA PICK UP MY PUP FOR ME. I TOOK A COUPLE OF FRIENDS WITH ME TO PICK HIM UP AND WE ENDED UP BRINGING TWO PUPS BACK. WE HAD A GOOD WEEKEND IN MISSOULA AND ENDED UP COMEING HOME BROKE! WE BRANG BACK A MALE AND A FEMALE CALLED THEM STRIPPER AND POKER. NEVER GUESS WHY. BRINGS BACK SOME FUN MEMORIES.
BEARCLAW
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Catman » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:05 am

Dan Lay is still breeding dogs. He had a bad deal with his females not coming into heat, but linked it to dog food and I think he's got it taken care of. I get dogs from Dan....yes you have to be patient :D His dogs are alot bigger than most people like, but I sure like them. I have a male that can jump into the back of a 3/4 ton dodge truck with the tailgate up. I also hunt some of the blood that Mike talks about. Love it as well. Depends on what you like. Dan does keep good tabs on his dogs and who owns them. But he isn't a puppy mill....only breeds the dogs he hunts. I was up there a year ago and he had a few females and 6-8 males. Heck of a nice guy and I think the world of him and his family.
Catman
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby kurt betournay » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:50 pm

end july gascon x bloodhound in ontario canada,,,2008 cross were all good hunting bear and deer, two out of 12 were slow, and lazy rest good,,,was gascon mother and blood father, this time trying other way around,,kurt ,,,,gasconhound@hotmail.com
kurt betournay
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Shorty » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:13 pm

Not sure he's still alive or not. Check with Big-n-Blue, he had a male that went right to the Lee hounds. Might be as close as you could get.
Shorty
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dogman68 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:58 pm

I was fortunate enough to hunt with Dale in the early to Mid 70's. He had 9 hard trailing dogs when I hunted with him some. They were all colors makes and breeds. Not sure what a Lee brother's hound really is but I can tell you they trailed circles around my dogs. I know Clell sold English blue tick puppies for a while but they didn't necessarily hunt those dogs. I remember a walker; A pretty blue tick named Joe (who I later heard went to Steve Smith?) There was Rip, a half airdale, half hound something. Rock, a bluetick/walker cross Duke, a bluetick walker cross, a black and tan looking dog I can't remember the name of and a few other mixed dogs. As far as I knew (at least back then) they did not raise a particular strain and hunt them. I'm sure that somewhere there are genes of at least a few of those dogs, but as a breed, I cannot remember a specific "Lee Brother Hound" strain. I was there a couple of times when guys just brought and gave him dogs to try, which he did. If they worked out, he kept them, if not, he got rid of them. Simple. At least when I knew him, he didn't care what a dog was, long as it trailed and helped him. That's just what I remember. He did talk about blue tick hounds Smokey River I think he said but to my limited knowledge he didn't go get a bunch of them.
dogman68

Postby Benny G » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:56 pm

Joe was hunted by Steve until he was sold. Joe came from Terrell Shelley as a pup. The old Smokey River dogs showed a whole lot of Lee Brothers blood in their lines. If I were to want a dog that could be traced back toward the Lees today, I would try Dan Lay, Terrell Shelley, or maybe Sam Dieringer. As long as the Lees have been gone, it's going to be awful hard to find dogs that will without a doubt go back to them. Maybe Mike L. can get a better answer in August. :wink:
"What I really need is a system that when I push a button it will shock that dog there, when I push this other button I can shock the other dog over there, and a button that I can push to shock all twenty dogs at the same time!" - Clell Lee

Benny
When in doubt, ask someone that knows, not just claims to know.
Benny G
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Return to Lion Hunting