LIVE trapping bobcats

A Place to discuss Trapping

LIVE trapping bobcats

Postby Brady Davis » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:42 pm

Hey guys, I am wanting to live trap some bobcats for fr and to use a couple to train pups. What are some ideas to succesfully catch them in live traps? Bait? Trap size? Certain brand of trap you like?
Brady Davis
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: LIVE trapping bobcats

Postby MadCatter » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:42 am

I use a 16x16x46 live trap of good quality. I set the trap perpandicular to a travel corridor with fresh sign. Usually I set it off to one side of the trail by 6 feet or so. Level the surface so it sets solid and does not rock. Cover the wire bottom with sand/dirt/snow from the area and camoflage with a little debris from the area (leaves etc.). Cover the sides and back with sticks/weeds/logs/ whatever to keep the cat from approaching from the side or rear, and to create a den/cubby. I also use an attractor like a feather hanging on a piece of string, above (4 or 5 feet) and out in front of the trap. I bait the trap with rabbit parts (caution: in Colorado you can only use non-edible wildlife parts that were legally acquired) by throwing a piece in the back, beyond the pan. Lastly, I use a little cat pee near the bait for that extra allure.

This has always worked for me. It might take a few days to a week before the bobcat travels by it again, but I usually catch.

My nephew tried this the other day in Oklahoma and caught a cat the next day.

Good luck and happy trapping. Let me know if it works for you.

Travis
MadCatter
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby FullCryHounds » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:32 pm

CO B&T, Are you aware that what you are posting on a public forum is illegal? You should also know that the CDOW watches these boards daily. Might want to reconsider what you post.
Dean Hendrickson
Pine, CO.
FullCryHounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby MadCatter » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:47 pm

FullCryHounds, live trapping bobcats during the season is perfectly legal in Colorado. Legholds and snares (i.e. inhumane traps) are illegal under Amendment 14, except in game damage situations (where a 30 day permit is required). As long as he has a smallgame or furbearer license, he can livetrap.

Now if ColoradoB&T wants to run his catches with dogs, he can only release the cat at the trap site and run them afterrwards. You can not transport live wildlife without a permit. The cat must be immediately killed in the trap or released.

And as I said in my reply, you can only use legally acquired, non-edible portions of wildlife for bait. Of course he could also use other non-wildlife baits (chicken, etc.).

Either I'm missing something or its perfectly legal as long as you play by the rules. Please clarify how this is illegal.

Thanks,
Travis
MadCatter
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby MadCatter » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:57 pm

ColoradoB&T, call your local CDOW office and ask about livetrapping bobcats. I'm sure they will give you the skinny on what can and cannot be done. If you find out otherwise, let me know will ya.

Travis
MadCatter
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby FullCryHounds » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:20 pm

Travis I agree with you right up intill you said it is OK to run your dogs on a legally trapped animal. You have to kill the animal or release it at the catch site immediately. Just like you said. You can not transport it anywhere when it is still alive. Also releasing it in front of your hounds won't go over very well with your county animal control officers. They view it as animal cruelty which is also illegal. I've talked this over extensively with CDOW.
Dean Hendrickson
Pine, CO.
FullCryHounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby FullCryHounds » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:48 pm

Let me add that a lot of whether or not something is legal or illegal is based on the individual wildlife manager or local animal control officer and is not black and white. Especially when it comes to animal cruelity laws. Here in Denver, I own a nuisance wildlife control company. I trap hundreds of animals every year. Each city, each county and of course the state all have different laws governing wildlife, especially trapping and animal cruelty. In Denver for example, animal control makes us put food (not bait) and water in each live trap because they believe it is cruel to leave an animal in a trap for ANY amount of time. Several other cities and counties are following suit.

Posting anything questionalble on a public forum that everyone knows that the local authorities monitor let alone some hungrey news commentator might read, is in my veiw rediculous.
Dean Hendrickson
Pine, CO.
FullCryHounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby liontracker » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:43 pm

"Let me add that a lot of whether or not something is legal or illegal is based on the individual wildlife manager or local animal control officer and is not black and white."

WHOA there now- it is not up to any one person to decide for themselves what is legal or illegal- the law is the law - written in black and white.

If that were the case, then Ken Logan would have outlawed Lion hunting the day he was hired by the D.O.W. to do the lion study on the Uncompahgre.

Don't get me wrong, I do not support catch and release of wildlife for training purposes, Especially in this political day and age.

What I am saying, is that it is that attitude right there, that is what is wrong with every state game and fish agency in this country, and for that matter, the U.S. Government.

The more we let those bad apple bastards, in these government agencies, dictate their version of the law as they see it to us, the faster we will lose hunting and gun ownership - period.

It is their duty to uphold the law - not dictate their personal opinions upon us.

It is because of these very same wildlife managers and animal control officers, that wolves are running rampant and out of control across this country.

The quicker and the more deeply this kind realizes, that if not for us, they will be flipping burgers at McDonalds ... the better !!!
liontracker
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby FullCryHounds » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:23 pm

LT, I couldn't agree more with you. I also don't believe it is up to each person to dictate his version of the law. But the fact is, it happens every day. My point above about putting water and food in cage traps is an example of exactly what you are saying. There was no law in Denver about having food or water in a cage trap. BUT, some AR type animal control officer took it upon herself to issue some tickets to some of my competitors doing nuisance control work and it stuck. Law or not, if you're setting cage traps in Denver, you'd better have water and food in there. It was just Denver Animal Controls interpretation of the 'animal cruelty' law. So I'd have to say the law is more grey then black and white in some cases.
Dean Hendrickson
Pine, CO.
FullCryHounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby liontracker » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:30 pm

The reason the law seems so grey, is because more people don't stand up for their rights. The general puplic seems to think that just because these "officers" carry a gun and a badge, that makes them God.

It's pathetic the way people just lay down and get run over. What happened to the pair of nuts they were born with, is what I would like to know?
liontracker
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby liontracker » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:41 pm

Besides, back to the original concept - With the current bobcat population in the state of Colorado there is no reason to release a trainer. I have passed up to as many as 15 bobcat tracks in a day to find a lion track. How many more trails than that does a guy need? If a dog wont trail by the end of that day, it has very little potential as a bobcat dog.
liontracker
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby FullCryHounds » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:50 pm

LT, I don't know what I would have done if I had been the one that got the ticket. I probably would have fought it. It was very sad to see they got away with it.
With bobcat prices up as high as they are right now, I'd think there would be more trappers hitting it this year.
Dean Hendrickson
Pine, CO.
FullCryHounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby liontracker » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:00 pm

Well, they sure hit hard in northern New Mexico. Damn near wiped 'em out in most places. I heard one guy caught 100 so far.
liontracker
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby MadCatter » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:58 pm

Fullcry and Liontracker, I don't disagree with you, especially in the metro areas. Living out in the sticks, I sometimes forget what it's like in the city. When I was mentioning running the cat at the release, I did not mean immediately, nor did I mention killing the cat. I was assuming you would let the cat go with a long head-start and work your pups on the tracks afterward.

I fail to see how that is any different than releasing on a set of tracks in the snow. In theory, I could catch a cat and release it. It could run down the road and across just as you come along. You not knowing I had just released it may chose to run the cat. Either way, the cat was run after it was released. The only difference being the same individual did not release and run. Symantics! But not animal cruelty (my interpretation of the law).

I agree that we must police our own, and I appreciate you calling me to the carpet. Point well taken. As I said, its easy to forget that we are not all out in the country away from the anti's.

And by the way, we are all not in great habitat where bobcat tracks come at a rate of 15 per day while looking for a lion track. It's tuff to find a good track to run in the dry country out here. And when you do find one, my potlickers have a hard time keeping it going. LOL I never claimed they were great dogs.

Colorado B&T, sorry we've kidnapped your post! I have some pictures of a couple sets I just made if your still interested after all this.

Thanks,
Travis
MadCatter
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby MadCatter » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:02 am

ColoradoB&T,

Here are a couple of pictures of the livetrap sets I made.

In the first one you can see the trail running left to right, and the attractor hanging above it (a feather). I covered the trap in tumble weeds back sides and top to prevent the cat from getting on top or aproaching from the sides.

In the second photo you can also make out the attractor. This time the trap is covered with sticks. Once again the trail runs left to right in front of the trap.

In both locations there are fresh bobcat tracks on the trails. I set these a little closer to the trail due to abvailable cover.

I'll let you know how they do in the next few days.

Good luck,
Travis

Travis
Attachments
Bobcat Trap2.jpg
Bobcat Trap1.jpg
MadCatter
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Next

Return to Trapping