Looking for the best plott bloodline

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs

Looking for the best plott bloodline

Postby jonet plotts » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:08 am

Who has the best plott bloodline for bear and cat?I amlooking to extend my bloodline.Looking for cold nosed,determined,big hearted,smart,and perfect built duable everyday dogs.
Never quit!
jonet plotts
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: Looking for the best plott bloodline

Postby oswald » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:39 pm

i have heard good things about your dogs. what dogs did you use to establish your line originally. that would probably be 1 factor i would consider when deciding who's dogs i would outcross to or line breed to.
oswald
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby sheba » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:02 pm

If you want real cold nose and the other things you described you wnat Bluff Creek plotts from Steve Herd
sheba
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby jonet plotts » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:30 am

I do like the old bloodline but there were faults years ago that we have slowly work out over the years.I'd like to keep progressing.We could use a little louder mouths.and sure would like to double up on the strong points to assure it in upcoming pups.I believe there is always something better ou there and i want part of it.
Never quit!
jonet plotts
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Steve White » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:43 am

Sheba, He has been doing it long enough. To know not to buy into all the BS hype coming from the Kansas Puppy Mill!!!!!
Steve White
White's Woods & Waters
http://www.whiteswoodsandwaters.com
steve@whiteswoodsandwaters.com
715-892-0032
Steve White
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Catch » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:32 pm

Oh boy, the hired guns are out of school.

Steve why don't you share your credentials on the plott breed. How long have you been doing it and how many puppies from the Kansas puppy mill have you hunted behind?

Haven't I read on another forum where you were arguing about catching lions yet you have never seen one?
Catch
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Steve White » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:22 pm

Knew that would rile the BC chronies :lol:

Since I don't produce a pile of litters every year where there are no bears to hunt. So I can maybe hunt a few times a year when I dump them off and collect the gas money. I don't have any credentials. Never had one never will. Won't have dogs that are not coming from dogs that are not being hunted on the game on a consistent basis. Not many bears in Kansas.

Also was not arguing about lions never having seen one. Simply stating what friends personal experiences were. That cannot be debated as it is what they experienced.

How all them dogs that got dumped in WI doing? Oh, that's right most of them are not around anymore already. The Idaho dogs still seem to be around, doing well, and getting bred. Gee, I wonder why.
Steve White
White's Woods & Waters
715-892-0032
Steve White
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby reed » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:21 pm

Steve, so why don't you be productive and suggest a bloodline Jonet could use?
reed
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Steve White » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:25 pm

Star Mtn, Nabek, Gante, Stiles, Ursus Swampland, and many other dogs that have no line, but are a mix of dogs from various lines. There really only a handful of TRUE lines left out there. The rest are just kennel names on the dogs any more. Making it hard to establish a line or background unless you really do your homework. Then study some more!!!
Steve White
White's Woods & Waters
715-892-0032
Steve White
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby sheba » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:44 pm

Steve White don't know you from Adam so not sure why you took offense to my comment. I have three BC/Shamrock dogs that I'm hunting on lion and bear they are doing good things.

Yes Mr Herd is adamant about what a plott should be but his dogs are hunted successfully on many different species by many good hunters. It is up to me to sift through the BS.

I was just trying to give Mr Jonet some options on what I have hunted with.
sheba
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby joe janak » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:34 pm

Don't know if they are the best line out there, but between myself and the couple guys I hunt with we have several Bluff Creek dogs in our yards which came directly from Herd. I find them to be easy starting and able to do the job.
wiplotts
joe janak
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby jonet plotts » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:44 pm

Good or bad, comments are great. I appreciate everyones opinion.I have heard alot of good things about Bluff Creek. In fact trying to get on his website. There are not alot of old bloodlines left. I have been keeping alot of the northeastern wi. bear bred plotts in these dogs in the past 20 years.That expanded from breeding out to a pup out of Howell's Saber(Dagger).Bayou and Fox River is the real background to the plotts we've been breeding back and forth for numorous generations.There is some Northwoods,Brandenburger,Pionteck, & several other kennels bred in to our original plotts.After a life change of almost pure running hounds for over 15 years we have picked and chose the best of the best to our present day plotts.
I feel the hounds we have now are fine tuned to be the best that i have ever hunted with.And i thank Mark Malsin for that. The past few crosses we've made have really put the icing on the cake when we got some females bred to Nig and Satan.
Elm Hill Kennels is the type of kennels that no one hears about.These guys have had many generations of great hounds that they have been keeping to themselves.We are privilaged to have bred to Mark's hounds.Hounds can't get bigger hearts than what these hounds have.I KNOW this.We need to breed out to keep it going.
I have found that most houndsmen are completely wrong by going back to the good old blood.I have found if you breed the best out of the best Your chances are great it may get better and the consistancy multiplies.
Sorry for blabbin.Just giving my input.Only hunting hard will show you results.
Remember guys,we have to stick together.
Never quit!
jonet plotts
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Steve White » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:45 pm

There really is no best line out there. If there was we would all have them. Good dogs can be found in any line. Some do produce better dogs on a more consistent basis. The larger the number of pups produced each year. Normally results in having to weed through more dogs to find the good ones versus the average to mediocre ones. May be why some of the best dogs come from breeders that may only have 1 or 2 litters a year or less than that.
Steve White
White's Woods & Waters
715-892-0032
Steve White
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Steve White » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:51 pm

Daryl, we were typing at the same time I guess. I agree, and don't always understand the old blood theory. If in fact folks were breeding to make what they have better. Than what they have now should be better than the old blood. I understand how sometimes things go wrong. So keeping good records/papers does enable one to go back and correct a problem when it comes up. So then being able to go forward in producing even better dogs.
Steve White
White's Woods & Waters
715-892-0032
Steve White
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby joe janak » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:17 pm

Darrell, I approved your membership for Plott News last night, your good to go. It's not just a Bluff Creek site, we have been working on a historical Plott section that goes way back into several lines. Looking forward to seeing you on the site.

www.plottnews.smfforfree3.com
wiplotts
joe janak
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Next

Return to Big Game Hunting With Dogs