Northeastern Bobcat hunters

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.

Northeastern Bobcat hunters

Postby LukeS » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:29 pm

I live in southeastern Ontario Canada. I have always been interested in bobcat hunting with hounds, but we have no cats here. I wondered if there was any cat hunters in the northeast (NY,Maine,Vermont,NH) US that wouldnt mind a canadian taggin along sometime. I dont need to kill any cats, just interested in seeing some good dog work on something that we dont have here & gettin a few pics. I run coons with bluetics here. I wouldnt mind trying to mix them in a cat pack sometime & see how they far out. Thanks for any replies.
LukeS

Re: Northeastern Bobcat hunters

Postby CasB » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:01 am

I know there are cat hunters in NY, Vermont and Maine, but wouldn't want to post any names without their consent. See what kind of response you get and maybe post on some other boards. As a friendly suggestion, I would avoid mentioning wanting to mix your dogs in with someone elses dogs unless you develop a good relationship with someone and they make that offer. Having said that, if you're ever down in PA. some weekend in the winter, PM me and our gang will do its best to get a cat race going. Good Luck.

Cas
CasB
Moscow, PA
Maplewood Plotts
CasB
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

CasB

Postby LukeS » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:55 am

I understand totally what your saying. I wasnt looking to load up all I got & & show up to dump with somebody. Just more interested in seeing what it is all about. If I got an opurtunity sometime to try some of my potlickers on them then that would be great, but if not than thats fine too. Pensylvania Isnt too far from me, Ive been down a couple times to the big cabelas around harrisburg I belive.Im about 7-8 hours from there. What part r u from.
LukeS

Postby spruce mountain » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:47 pm

You're welcome to tag along with me sometime if you are in the area. I live in western Maine. I don't know how far that is from you.
Its a dam poor women who cant support a man and a pack of hounds.www.sprucemountainhunting.com
spruce mountain
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby LukeS » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:52 pm

Spruce mountain- Thanks for the reply. Whats the best time of year in Maine to go, & what type of dogs do you use.
LukeS

Postby spruce mountain » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:18 pm

January is probably the best month to go.I use mostly English but some are mixed.I like to breed the best to the best.Some where, buried in the bobcat pages I have a post from last winter that shows a couple of my cat dogs.
Last edited by spruce mountain on Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Its a dam poor women who cant support a man and a pack of hounds.www.sprucemountainhunting.com
spruce mountain
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby spruce mountain » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:33 pm

Its back on page 5 under Haydens first bobcat.
spruce mountain
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby crowley » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:24 pm

hey scott, how'd you make out last winter. the conditions were lousy. i'd say we lost 2/3 of the season to crust.
crowley

Postby spruce mountain » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:44 am

I treed 1,put 1 in an old beaver house and am sure that we had another one treed in a patch of big hemlocks but the wind was blowing 40 miles an hour that day and the dogs couldn't locate it. We only got 1 other cat jumped last year but they cold trailed all day on it before they jumped it and the dogs were to worn out to catch it. We cold trailed another 4 or 5 that we never got jumped. The conditions were poor last year for most of the season,thats for sure. How did you make out?
spruce mountain
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby crowley » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:23 pm

we are off topic a liitle, i'll send pm
crowley

Postby robbyson99 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:35 pm

LUKES. Your more than welcome to tag along with me if your ever in maine looking to run a cat or two. Like the fellas above stated, the conditions were awful last year. We only got two. Crusted over after most storms. Best option is to watch the weather for maine and get down here before a storm. Like I said. You can tag along with us any time. Corey
robbyson99
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby LukeS » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:11 am

Robbyson99

Thanks so much for the invite. Im gonna do my best to get down to Maine with some of u guys & have some fun in the new year. Keep my fingers crossed for good conditions. Ive always been fascinated with these cats & wanted to see some good dogs work them. We just dont have any here in my area, not sure why because I think our habitat is very similar to yours in some spots. In your area in good conditions do you put most in trees, or catch/shoot them on ground in front of dogs?
LukeS

Postby Borderpond » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:47 pm

I heard of a guy in Maine that killed over 30 last year ? Guess he does it pretty regular.
Borderpond
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Return to Bobcat/Lynx Hunting