nosler accubond bullets

Post your product review or ask questions on products

nosler accubond bullets

Postby ferjr » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:34 pm

i heard how great these bullets are so i bought a couple of boxes and treid to work up a good load for my 338 mag., i bought 225 gr. accubonds tried several different loads and have came to the conclusion, they are absolutely without a doubt the worst shooting bullet i have ever tried in my rifle. has anyone else experenced this problem with them or did i just get a bad batch? i shoot a remington 700 bdl 338 win mag, i normaly shoot seirra 215gr game king or hornady 225gr sst interlock bullets and the rifle loves them, consistenly shooting 1" or less at 100 yards. with these nosler accubonds i am lucky to get a 3" group at 100 yards, it shoots nosler partitions really good but wont shoot these accubonds.
ferjr
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: nosler accubond bullets

Postby switzie » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:17 pm

Why change something that work's so well
switzie
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby ferjr » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:48 pm

switzie wrote:Why change something that work's so well

you are deffinitely right! i will stick with what i know works. thought i would try them, as much as everyone is pushing them, i actually thought they would be good, boy was i wrong!
ferjr
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Kevin D » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:25 pm

I recently switched to Accubonds in my 7 mag and .25/06 and they both shoot equally well. The point of impact was off a couple of inches at 100 yards but a couple clicks of the scope took care of that. No accuracy problems with any of the ones I was shooting.
Kevin D
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Daniel Tremblay » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:14 pm

I'm a firm believe in the Accubonds, .270 140 bolt with 58 grns of 4831 power with magnum primes, three shot group @ 100 i can do 2 bullets touching with the thrid all but touching. I have noticed though with my reloads i seat the bullet as far out as possible and i reload my wifes same load but her browning a-bolt chip is a lot short so i have to seat them a lot father in and they don't shoot as well. I shoot a rem. 700 cdl so you should be able to seat yours out there too, i would try that. GOOD LUCK!
Daniel Tremblay
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby ferjr » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:56 am

Daniel Tremblay wrote:I'm a firm believe in the Accubonds, .270 140 bolt with 58 grns of 4831 power with magnum primes, three shot group @ 100 i can do 2 bullets touching with the thrid all but touching. I have noticed though with my reloads i seat the bullet as far out as possible and i reload my wifes same load but her browning a-bolt chip is a lot short so i have to seat them a lot father in and they don't shoot as well. I shoot a rem. 700 cdl so you should be able to seat yours out there too, i would try that. GOOD LUCK!

thanks, i will try that
ferjr
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby sheimer » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:12 am

I shoot Bergers and so does one of my shooting partners. The other 2 guys shoot Accubonds. The Accubonds shoot accurately out of their 300 WSM and 300 Rem UM. Their downrange performance is NOT comparable to the Bergers. Anything over 400yds they loose so much velocity due to lack of BC, they have insignificant impact energy. Not to mention that they run out of scope adjustment to compensate for the drop and the wind sends them way too far off to ethically use them on game at extended ranges.

Scott
sheimer
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby ferjr » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:30 am

berger doesnt make any 338 caliber bullets, do they?
ferjr
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby sheimer » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:41 am

I just checked their website and the don't make anything over a 30 caliber.

Scott
sheimer
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby cougarhound » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:10 am

ferjr wrote:berger doesnt make any 338 caliber bullets, do they?

you want something in a 338 that kicks the hell out of berger ? www.cuttingedgebullets.com
Lorne Meadows
home phone:1-250-425-0058
The bullshit stops when the tailgate drops
cougarhound
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Kevin D » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:05 am

I got to thinking, twice I've had previously good rifles suddenly develope accuracy problems, and both times the culprit turned out to be the scope. Particularly with some of the lower end scopes, a heavy recoiling rifle can jar something loose inside where it won't hold a consistant zero anymore.

Anyway, something to consider.
Kevin D
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby ferjr » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:34 am

i had that very thing happen when i first got this gun. i had a bushnell that i took off my 30-06 that worked great on it, i put it on the 338 and started shooting it, it wasnt shooting worth a damn and it was a new gun, i have never had a remington that wouldnt shoot, so i went and replaced the scope with a 4x12 leupold and it strarted shooting great. after that i replaced all of my scopes with leupolds. i just havnt been able to get this rifle to shoot these accubonds. i am going to try and seat them out a bit farther and see if that helps. the rifle shoots every other bullet i have tried in it extremely well, but these bullets are giving me the fits. i have two boxes, 100 of them so i am going to try everything i can to make them work. i will go and check all of the screws on the mounts and the rings to make sure everything is still tite.

Thanks for all of the input guys, Frank Reinhardt jr
ferjr
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby haynhogdogger » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:16 am

Hello Frank,

Do you have a modified case to check your O.A.L to the lands with? Also a bullet comparator this way you can check what your O.A.L is to the lands and adjust seating depth accordingly. Im sure you can find a load that shoots better than 3" @ a 100 though. I have had no problems getting them to shoot very accurately in the rifles ive loaded them in (roughly 20 or so) in many different calibers including 338 unfortunately they were not Win Mag's.

What are your load details? Powder wt/name,primer,brass? What loading manuals are you using?
haynhogdogger
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby haynhogdogger » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:22 am

sheimer wrote:Their downrange performance is NOT comparable to the Bergers. Anything over 400yds they loose so much velocity due to lack of BC, they have insignificant impact energy. Not to mention that they run out of scope adjustment to compensate for the drop and the wind sends them way too far off to ethically use them on game at extended ranges.

Scott

Hello Scott,

Would you care to elaborate on this statement a little more...Thanks!!!
haynhogdogger
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby sheimer » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:03 pm

I am referring to the lower BC that the Accubond's have compared to the VLD design of the Bergers. We shoot together out to 1000 or a little past(depending on the weather). My 7mm RM starts out with less energy at the muzzle and produces less impact damage to a 3/4 AR plate out to 4-500 yards. Past that, the Berger bullets out of my gun produce significantly more damage than the 300's do. As far as wind deflection, if I misjudged my wind a little, there isn't enough difference to affect my shot placement drastically, while the accubonds are so drastically affected by wind a small miscalculation in wind speed will produce an unethical shot or a complete miss.

I'm by NO MEANS saying that the Berger bullets are a magic thing that won't ever miss, I'm just saying that they are less affected by wind. Anyone who is shooting at extended ranges has to shoot regularly and know the limits of their equipment and themselves. Nor am I saying that the Accubonds can't be shot at extended ranges, just that the shooter has to know the effects that are produced by a lower BC and be able to compensate for them.

I am also very impressed by the "terminal performance" of the Bergers. They perform well out to 900 or 1000yds DEPENDABLY. Meaning they do the same thing every time. I've personally killed game from less than 100yds to past 850yds and they performed better than expected at all velocity ranges.

These are just my personal experiences and by no means a professional opinion.

If you want more info on Bergers, ask "Shorty" on here, he's gone through more rounds than I have.

Scott
sheimer
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Next

Return to Equipment and Product Review