Pig bomb

Talk about Hog hunting

Pig bomb

Postby grouse » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:59 pm

Did anybody watch the pigbomb on the discovery channel ? If you did what was your thoughts on it ?
Rick Brocious
grouse
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Pig bomb

Postby kdrchuck » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:53 pm

I saw It. Enjoyed watching it, but I thought it was mostly crap. I don't know much about hogs though.
kdrchuck
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby jkcasey » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:35 am

Man I've got to get cable, but then, when would I have time to feed my dogs.
Catch you later, Kiel “If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today.” --Lou Haltz
jkcasey
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby coadycurbow » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:11 am

I thought the show was entertaining, but the reproduction numbers stated were blown out of porportion. The weights that were shown and talked about were also BS. If we catch one that weighs 250 to 300, that is a helluva wild hog.

Just like any kind of media, they won't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Those huge hogs that are being shown are some farmers' old wore out brood boars. IMO
Coady Curbow
(936) 615-0235
coadycurbow
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby bigboarstopper » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:54 am

Ive seen the show. Mostly hype. They talk about hogs getting to 700lbs due to the russian strain. Its BS. If anything the hogs will be getting smaller due to the domestic blood diluting the european blood. Domestics are bred for food making them prone to be fat, slow and easier to catch. There was a large herd european hogs released at the turn of the century close to where I live. Its less and less often that we catch something that resembles a practally pure european. The domestic gene seems to be more dominant.
bigboarstopper
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby coadycurbow » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:25 am

Those european looking hogs that weigh about 100 lbs. are the ones that give us fits. They run like they got a rocket in their ---. The big hogs that show more domestic blood are the usually the mean ones that will stand and fight. The hogs we really hate to bay are the ones that weigh about 150 and have cutters about an inch long. They are small enough that the bay dogs want to catch, but have teeth the right size to whittle on em.

I wish they would have talked to the boys that had the dogs a little bit more. The five minutes they were on was the best part of the program.
Coady Curbow
(936) 615-0235
coadycurbow
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Missouri Boy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:29 am

i thought it was entertaining thats about it LoL.
Jason Raulston
Renegade Hog Dogs
BMCs Plotts and Crosses
River Country Baypen
Hog Dog Training
Salem, MO
PH # 573-729-4698
Missouri Boy
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby coadycurbow » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:11 pm

Everybody is talking about the Russian/European blood making these hogs run more. I think this is true to a certain extent, but we are culling the slower hogs. That means fast boars are breeding fast sows, throwing fast piglets. Hogs are getting culled for being slow harder than our dogs are. Not to mention, every Bubba you can think of is dumping their mutts all over the country seven nights a week. It's funny how this game has changed in the last few years. It takes a helluva lot classier dog to bay hogs consistently than it used to.

We used to walk some cur dogs into any creek bottom, they would go in blow up bayed, catch or kill what you could, they would break go 100 yards, bay again, repeat. Now with fewer and faster hogs, we want one to cold trail, run him four or five hours, bay like hell, get rough if he has to, and then put him on another one that split off. That is expecting alot out of a dog, but I guess that is what makes the cream come to the top.
Coady Curbow
(936) 615-0235
coadycurbow
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Return to Hog Hunting