Recovery time for female getting spayed

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs

Recovery time for female getting spayed

Postby musky516 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:58 pm

I have a 1.5 year old female walker that im getting spayed. How long before i can hunt her on coyotes after the surgary? also she lives on a chain so will i need to bring her in the house? If so how long?
musky516

Re: Recovery time for female getting spayed

Postby 1bludawg » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:42 pm

It's only about 10 days .Just keep her in a clean,dry environment.The procedure costs about 150 dollars but i've found that can change from vet to vet .I would just caution you to be sure that you never want to raise any pups from her.
1bludawg
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby huntfish8 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:53 am

I would bring her in but that's just me don't want it to get infected. And make sure she doesn't lick her stitches or rip them out thats no good. Get a cone for her head. Let her heal up completely before hunting her. Good luck
huntfish8
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby cfanno01 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:52 pm

Take her inside to avoid infection!! And wait at least 3 weeks before hunting her!!! She can do easy activities after 10-14 days but i would definately wait to hunt her...I had a female that tore the suchers under the skin (not the outer stiches). Was petting her one day about 3-4 months after and felt were the adomin muscle was torn in a few spots. You go right back to surgery...she couldnt do anything for almost 2 months after this and I had to keep her in a crate!!!! It is not worth rushing trust me
cfanno01

Postby slobberdoc » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:01 pm

The incision takes about 14 days to heal BUT like others said wait at least 3 full weeks before hunting her. I work at a vet clinic and have seen the results of letting a dog have too much activity before fully recovered--not good. Spaying is a major surgery no matter what people think.
I just had my young female spayed, after 2 weeks I let her exercise some, gradually building up, it wasn't till over 3 weeks post surgery I took her hunting. And had no problems. Mine was recovering outside on the chain no problem, but just make sure if it's rainy or damp at all she has a warm dry place to go. The incision shouldn't get wet.
slobberdoc
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Return to Big Game Hunting With Dogs