Silent dog

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs

Silent dog

Postby Gilly » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:05 pm

Hi guys just lookin for some opinions on this style of dog for runnin coon and cat. I have an 18 month old redtick that doesnt open on track. This dog has only opened up when he is bayed tight or treed. Even on a smoking hot coon track he is silent. I have ran him with my other dogs that open real good on track and he is still silent. He is catchin game on his own and runs a track well. Not super fast but not slow either. I would just like to know how many guys run this kinda dog in there pack and what pros and cons come with it. This is the only tight mouthed dog i have owned and i am used to them bawl mouthed dogs that open on a good track letting me know how my race is shaping up. When i do hunt him and i hear him open up he is either pulling fur or treed and when he does fall treed he sometimes backs up from the tree parks his arse and stares up without opening a whole lot. Any suggestions to maybe get him to open up some more on tree?

Gilly
SING TO EM' BOYS!!
Gilly

Re: Silent dog

Postby dwalton » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:08 am

How old is the dog some start opening at a latter time. I have seen a few hounds that did not open on track but not many. Will he open on a track by him self? If the dog is good someone will like him if you don't. Dewey
dwalton
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Silent dog

Postby Gilly » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:21 pm

Dog is 18 months. Hasn't opened on track yet alone or with other dogs.

gilly
SING TO EM' BOYS!!
Gilly

Return to Big Game Hunting With Dogs