snowmobile dog box

Share Ideas, Plans and what ever else about kennels and dog Boxes.

snowmobile dog box

Postby Walt » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:10 am

I am looking for ideas on how to pull my dogs behind the snowmobile. If anyone has anything on what they are doing or pictures that would be great Thanks
Walt

Re: snowmobile dog box

Postby Ike » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:48 am

I got this rig from a guy and it seems to work???????
Ike

Postby Latch44 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:28 pm

I have the same thing as the picture above other then it is a wood box that holds up to 3 dogs. It works great as we hunt alot in thick swamps and either you walk in or take a sled.
All the bs stops when the tail gate drops!!
Latch44

Postby hounder » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:48 pm

If anybody could i would appreciate a pic of the frame. I have a nice box and a set of skis i just need to build the frame thanks i apreciate it
shoot em' with the camera
hounder
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby jhelvik » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:53 pm

Ike,

Just out of curiousity, what are the demensions on that box? My box only holds two hounds and I am looking to build one big enough to pull three. Also what kind of skis are attached to that box? Are they just regular skis (downhill skis) or are they sled skis?

Thanks,

Justin Helvik
Better Bred RED!!!

NITECH CH 'PR' Big Elk's Bad News Bo
NITECH CH 'PR' Big Elk's Outlaw Cash
'PR' Big Elk's Cool Hand Luke

Image Image Image
jhelvik
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby catdogs » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:21 pm

Mine fits upside down on top of the dog box on the truck then reversed for behind the snowmobile. I wanted to use the same box for the sled as on the truck so I wouldn't have to have 2 seperate boxes. Box is 30" x 48". Tongue folds back on the trailer so its outta the way. Never cared for the airline crates much, they are light, but not quite big enough for me, too cold and too flimsy. If I had it to do over again, I think I would incorporate the frame of the trailer and the bottom of the box into one and just pin some skiis and a tongue on and go.

This is what I used to use, it was only 24" wide and too tippy. It was made out of one of those old cheapo premade cargo sleds.

The hounds all got sick last week, so I gave them a rest. Had to spend a few days with my wife......She seems like a nice person.
catdogs
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby mojo » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:41 am

The best that I've seen work is to make it a flat sled that u can put a pet porter on and off. welded solid to the skies hinged so that the tounge can fold to put into truck.Use a swivel hitching system with a hinge hitch on the snowmobile. The trick is to keep the wieght of the dogs equal. I bought one from a guy that was very nice looking made of alum. and steel 2'w 3'tall 31/2 to 4' long way to heavy to pull and coming down hill dogs would slide to the front and it would endo and roll that is not fun at 4 in the morning, not safe when it comes over on you while you are on the snowmobile. Keep it simple and small you will have good luck. :D
mojo
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Harvick29 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:39 am

I got my sled from orion. You can look at them at www.orionsled.com they call it a tote sled. Then I had a guy build an aluminum box for it. I've used it two years now the dogs seem to like the ride and it has never tiped over on me and pulls good through deep snow. It was kinda an expensive set-up but I can't weld and I got tired of the cargo sleds braking and tiping over. I will try to post some pictures of it if I can figure out how to do it.
Harvick29

Postby whoflungdung » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:37 pm

I have seen a few different sled but Catdogs (Cody) has the best sled. That thing is slick.
Dont be a fool cover your tool. When in doubt cover your spout.
whoflungdung
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby onalimb » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:37 pm

I like this box, but Like Catdogs said, the sled it to narrow, it works great if I have a kid on it for counter balance. I will be widening it out this year, to the same width as the skis on the machine. The box has dry storage in the top, holds a ton of stuff out of the weather, and can be locked if you're in an area with other sledders running around. So your helmet, and other gear are still there whjen you get back. The best thing is to fill the space on the toungue with sheet aluminum so the snow goes under the sled.
Preston Joy N. Idaho
onalimb
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby FullCryHounds » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:59 pm

I've got one very similar to Catdogs. I'm in CO. It's free to the first guy to drive by and pick it up.
Dean Hendrickson
Pine, CO.
FullCryHounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Harvick29 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:13 pm

Here are some pictures of my sled set-up. I'm trying two because I don't know if I did it right or not. If it works I will put a couple more on of the compartment.
Attachments
100_0628.JPG
100_0627.JPG
Harvick29

Postby Harvick29 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:19 pm

What do you know it worked. Here are a couple more. I think it was bird-n-buck that build the box for me.
Harvick29

Postby Walt » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:58 pm

sorry its been awhile since i checked this. some of the ideas you guys have are really good. right now i just use a cargo sled with a plastic pet porter strapped on it and it works alright but does not stand up very well. this summer i am going to build one off of some of these ideas
Walt

Postby catdogs » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:41 am

Very nice setup H29! Any idea what the box weighs? The sled trailer? how big is the box?
The hounds all got sick last week, so I gave them a rest. Had to spend a few days with my wife......She seems like a nice person.
catdogs
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Next

Return to Kennels and Dog Boxes