trapping in oregon for a bobcat

A Place to discuss Trapping

trapping in oregon for a bobcat

Postby thunder 12 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:47 am

ok i am no trapper by any means lol i can cacth coons but my neghbior has this bobcat that keeps killin her chickens and she asked me to catch it for her and i have no idea how and i was tryin to read the older posts so i didint have to make anthor post but i am pretty slow lol and dont really grasp what lures i should use for a live trap how should i set it i know a water spot down by the creek i have been seein its traks there so how should i go about trappin it what bait what kind of visual should i use and how should i present it lol sorry i just have no idea what to do lol
thunder 12
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: trapping in oregon for a bobcat

Postby livetohunt » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:56 am

Are you going to be cage trapping or foot hold trapping? Can you trap bobcats there this time of yr? Do you need to get a permit or have a trapping Linc. to do it? You need to know the facts first to make sure you dont get yourself into any trouble.
livetohunt
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby thunder 12 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:08 am

she said that the fish and game said she can trap it and it would be live trap and as far as i know i dont think it is the season for trapping
thunder 12
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby livetohunt » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:37 am

I cant say for sure about Or. but you might want to check first, we do here in Cal. First off make sure your trap is built well Bobcats can be hard the the doors on cage traps. Also make sure it will fit the cat see lots of guys use traps that are to small. I would set the trap up by where he is killing the chickens, and use chicken as bait you know thats what he is there for so it makes it easy. I would wire the bait (chicken) to the back of the trap inside so he has to work at it to get it out and will trip the pan. Use the blood and a few small very small parts to trail around up to the trap. I like to make my Bobcat set a cubby set and all that means is to put brush on the side and top real well but to where the trap will still work. Make it look like a cave in there nice and safe place to eat some chicken. Cover the bottom of the trap with fine dirt not rocks cover it good they dont like to walk on wire. I would wear rubber gloves and try to not leave much of your sent around. Take some of the feathers and tie with fishing line and hang up close to your trap but dont need to be right on top of it about 6 ft off the ground make sure they can move with the breeze. Then just wait check it everyday but dont get close to it check it from as far back as u can. Give it 5-10 days if you dont get anything you can move your trap dwom by the creek and change bait and use some lure. Hope it works out for you let us know when you get him.
livetohunt
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby thunder 12 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:18 pm

yes i should check with them just to make sure thank you for that info you said a lure is that like from grawes
thunder 12
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby livetohunt » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:49 pm

I wouldnt even bother with a lure unless the chicken dont work. If the cats been killing chickens you know what he wants no need to make it harder or more work for you. If the chicken dont work then you will need to move the trap to a new spot and change things up. At that point I would worrie about using lure and or bait. You can get a calling lure and use it above your set to call the cat in and then a gland type lure in the trap. You can use the calling lure then a bait in the trap. There are many lures out there you just have to find the ones that work best for your area by trying a few and see what works. Trapping lures and training scents are not the same thing get online and find you some TRAPPING lures both loud calling type and a good gland type. But like I said I wouldnt even bother with lures till you see if the chicken works. Here are just a few of the places that you can get lure from.
Pete Rickards, Briarpatch Lure, Fleming Outdoors, Grawe's, Hossier Trapping Supply, Leggetts, Dobbins Products.
There are about 100 more our there if you just take some time and look around online you will find tons.
livetohunt
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby thunder 12 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:08 pm

thank you for sharing how to trap lol i will try and hope the chicken works if not sounds like a big head ache lol thank you again for your help :D
thunder 12
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby livetohunt » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:32 am

How did it work out for you?
livetohunt
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Return to Trapping