ursus plotts

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs

Re: ursus plotts

Postby backwoods1 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:35 am

One more time, it may be his private life but a man an his word mean a lot to me when talking dogs an if he has a shady background I don't wanna talk dogs with him!! I hear he has a good line of dogs. Iam just doing my research before I dive in. If he is Divorced or has been to jail for non hunting things not my business nor do I care. But with the story (rumor) has me thinking, an for the last time I no there is always two sides to a story an I've only heard one! I've already posted my number for people to call if anybody has a comment that they don't want on a public forum. Iam not gonna call Steve I no what he will say!!
Turn'em loose- if were gonna loose them mine as well loose them all!
backwoods1
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby kickemall » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:02 am

It seems strange to me that you would be even considering Ursus dogs but not be willing to call the owner to talk to him about your concerns. As far as, "knowing what he'll say", well o.k. then tell him what you heard and see what he says then you'll truly have both sides. I guess everybody deals with things differently. Good luck.
kickemall
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Dennis Fisher » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:56 am

Bob, they don't understand the issue, probably never will. They can show a 1000 pictures. They can have a 1000 witnesses and it won't matter one tiny bit. If a NPHA Judge suspects a dog might not meet Standard and wishes to do it, they can call for the dog(s) to be inspected. Then it's the owner that has to take it/them before those Judges. I believe there's 3 Judges that make a decision to submit to the UKC as to what should be done from what the dog(s) themselves are, not what ANYONE says. A picture was posted on the site that has those Judges on it and that can not be changed now. It has been seen by many and several have asked about it. But that isn't the issue. The issue is why should a dog of performance be questioned because of color. Especially with the tools of science available today. All they are showing with their attempts to show that the dog is truly brindled is to show why the stupid Standard change of 78 is so ludicrous and why a vote is very much needed to correct these ridiculous things from happening. Bring back the Original Standards so all can show whatever dog they have without it being judged with anything other than performance.

As for you that are trying to "force" some story out of me. It is already on a couple of sites and is nothing new. But you "Drama Queens" need to learn some respect for others. Because of your disrespect, you now have not the intellect nor literary abilities to get it out of me, so you might as well give it up. We don't need you to get a Ursus dog from us, and could care less if you know, see or ever hunt with one. Steve is a US Citizen, just like I am. But he's also a Canadian citizen too. He has a passport, just like I do. He's a hunter and trainer that few can compare to. And a Breeder few to none can equal. When you go buy any product from anybody or any store, I've never seen a person ask for information that would only be requested by one needing a "marriage contract", like you "Drama Queens" are with what you are saying you need to buy a dog.

But I will say this backwoods1, Considering you live in Washington and you mentioned "lawsuit", this is pretty darn easy to figure out. Whoever told you this rumor has not a clue what the heck he is talking about. In light of those two things, your "rumor" has to be referring to a dog named Timber. That is going back on the actions of another man, not Steve. That happened many years after Steve was already in Canada and has absolutely nothing to do with why he moved there at all. And there was never a lawsuit involving Steve in it in any way. Another man did threaten a lawsuit against the NPHA if they pulled Timbers papers in it though. If you learn to ask about things in a respectful way before showing such disrespect towards another, maybe you could learn the truth instead of believing the rumors you seem to relish so much.
Dennis Fisher
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby larry » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:18 am

there are several good plott breeders around that DON'T have this controversy and crap following their kennel name around..... something to think about
larry
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dennis Fisher » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:19 pm

Now, there's a great suggestion!!! Stay in this sport and World long enough, you'll learn you can't miss all the crap out there that there is to step in. If your one that cares more about crap than a good dog, please don't call and ask to get a dog from us. Go to those others out there and try to get one of theirs.

Beside, most won't pay the price the European hunters will to get one anyways, so why bother.
Dennis Fisher
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby fish eater » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:42 pm

Here's my question for all you Ursus breeders.I'm not trying to stir the, crap but is the cull rate on these dog really 50 percent as some have said. I'd like to get one but if it's that high would it be worth it. The one's I hunted with year ago were nice dogs.
fish eater

Postby Dennis Fisher » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:59 pm

Mr. fish eater. Thanks for asking a good question respectfully. First let's establish what should be called a cull. To me, simply because I try to have only the best, or above average, to further the Line, I would say that's a fair judgement. But for those that only want a dog to hunt, I personally think that is extremely high. There is no way I would keep a average dog simple because I can get any dog I wish. But one must remember what a average dog is to the Ursus dogs is. These average dogs are stopping and holding European Brown Bears with only two of them being allowed to be turned loose. The better than average or really good ones can stop them by themselves. In my personal experiences in the 25 some odd years I've own them. I'd put the total duds down into the 15% range. Of course there are the "me to dogs" in between the average and the total culls. Hope that helps, but I think you are the type that realizes it's a darn hard question to answer without one knowing what your definition is. And I hope you realize that one man's treasure is another's garbage. These dogs definitely ain't for everyone simple because of what, where and how they were hunted and what they were bred to be, to be successful at it.
Dennis Fisher
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby brian j cerelli » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:38 pm

i know i asked and got no response, but from what catch had got directly from steve him self was 5 dogs. one was killed by a bear, and the other 4 were all used to breed to.
so i dont know if the 50%culls are pups that were made out of that, or others catch got from some one else. but seems like the 5 you got from steve must have not been culls if they were bred? correct me if im wrong, it wouldnt be the first time.

I think its funny how people stir so much s*** up and havnt even given the guy a call and talk to him about his dogs, if anyone really was interested in his dogs they should talk to the guy breeding them, and figure out if these dogs are what they are looking for.

i am just as guilty of talking bad on a dog, or line of dogs as anyone else, but i try to make sure its from first hand experince as much as posible....

Brian cerelli
brian j cerelli
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby backwoods1 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:05 pm

Why would I call Steve when I can hear the head cheerleaders screaming at the top of there lungs!! Then they go get new members to join there cheer squad!! That's what make me wonder... An the lawsuit has nothing to do with the timber dog.I've already stated the dogs seem to be good an from the amount of people who have called an offered me one
No worry Dennis I won't be calling you! An after the comment you said about the European hunters paying more for the dogs the truth comes out just like most breeders its all about the money.
backwoods1
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby backwoods1 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:16 pm

If its just drama, why do a select few of try so hard to shut it down? An with the "marriage" comment you select few seem to be the ones married to Steve. I heard this story "rumor" from one of the oldest wisest hound hunter I've been around somebody I have much respect for who don't stir the pot wich is y he ain't on here. That is the only reason I think there may be some truth to it.
backwoods1
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Dennis Fisher » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:18 pm

well'p..... since your the only one that knows it, hope you enjoy it!!!
Dennis Fisher
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Turn the paige » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:06 pm

Kinda sounds like u mr backwoods likes 2 stir the pot.. :)
Turn the paige

Postby Catch » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:58 pm

plott/walker wrote:i know i asked and got no response, but from what catch had got directly from steve him self was 5 dogs. one was killed by a bear, and the other 4 were all used to breed to.
so i dont know if the 50%culls are pups that were made out of that, or others catch got from some one else. but seems like the 5 you got from steve must have not been culls if they were bred? correct me if im wrong, it wouldnt be the first time.

I think its funny how people stir so much s*** up and havnt even given the guy a call and talk to him about his dogs, if anyone really was interested in his dogs they should talk to the guy breeding them, and figure out if these dogs are what they are looking for.

i am just as guilty of talking bad on a dog, or line of dogs as anyone else, but i try to make sure its from first hand experince as much as posible....

Brian cerelli

Brian,

Where are you getting your information from?
Catch
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby wvplott » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:54 pm

As has been stated before in this thread, for those of you who want the "Other side" of the story... "Man up" and go to the source. Don't be cowards.
wvplott
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Catch » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:35 am

Very good advice Ernie. Now, if you will use your own advice!
Catch
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

PreviousNext

Return to Big Game Hunting With Dogs