Sick dogs and meds

Discuss Health & Medical Issues
Yukonpete
Facebook ID: 0

Sick dogs and meds

Postby Yukonpete » Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:26 am

Looking for information on when to use amoxicillin vs cephalexin vs doxycycline or if there is anything other than that I should try to keep at the house? I have a 15 month plott that did kill a coon on the ground last week she hasn’t been herself the last couple days. She’s having a hard time shittin and when she does it’s greenish and got mucus. Not eating like normal either. I gave her a good dose of Nemex and have been giving cephalexin for 2 days I’m hoping she will snap out of it. Any help/info is greatly appreciated thank you
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Sick dogs and meds

Postby Beebout-it » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:38 pm

Hows that plott doing? Luckily none of mine ever got sick or torn up badly fight coons on the ground. Also very lucky that my vet is my hunting partners wife and was our friend before she became our vet so I just call when I have a problem and she either comes to the house or meets me in their dog shed.
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:00 am

What are the chances your dog caught distemper from the coon. All three of those antibiotics are very similar. The doxycycline is maybe used for a couple more issues than the other two but pretty similar from my understanding. If this is viral, the antibiotics shouldn’t have much of an affect on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yukonpete

Postby Yukonpete » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:28 am

I took her to a friend who works at the vet office and she said it looked like Giardia so I gave her that safeguard horse paste with the fenbendazole in it 3 days in a row and she came back around started eating a whole bunch and put the weight back on. I was giving those big syringes of electrolytes and probiotics for horses too when she was down n out it worked well
Yukonpete

Postby Yukonpete » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:44 am

Hard to find a good vet around here who’s down with the program but that gal I took her to said she help with anything but broken bones so that ought to get me somewhere
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:54 am

Glad you figured that out. I know you’re relieved. Years ago we used the tubes of horse wormer as well. Then I had a buddy that had some dogs get wormy despite using it. A vet friend told us that it was most likely the fact that those tube wormers like that are in bulk form. When you use the small amount out of it that it takes for a dog, you might not get enough of the actual worm medicine. It may be more filler than wormer because it’s designed to give in much larger doses. He wormed the dogs and they cleared right up so I feel like that was a pretty honest opinion, plus the fact that he was a friend I trusted him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Health & Medical Issues”