Help with new born puppies

Discuss Health & Medical Issues
fargo
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Help with new born puppies

Postby fargo » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:58 am

I was wondering if anybody has any advice when a female has a large litter to keep the pups from dying her milk came in and had plenty is there anything to give a pup that acts like it might be on its way out. Or do you mark it down as mother nature's way to weed the weak
larry
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Help with new born puppies

Postby larry » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:59 am

if its in rough shape and cold keep it warm (heat up a towel in the microwave) and rub some maple syrup on its gums, get the blood sugar up. If it comes around after that get some formula in it or get it nursing. Bout all that i know of you can do if its acting like its on its way out. Someone else might know more.
Tim Pittman
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Tim Pittman » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:21 pm

X2 Larry,I also feed goat milk replacer to the bitch and puppies as they get older.The bitch gets it from early on in the pregnancy.The pups get it till about 4-5 months old.
Tim Pittman 541-912-6464
houndsman2
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 1567393227

Postby houndsman2 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:28 pm

hey tim i'm going to breed my coyote hounds this spring any advise on what to to to make strong pups for the winter. they will be about 3 to 4 month old when winter hits. can be cold at times here in vt. any advice welcome first time breeding for me
wiwalkerman
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby wiwalkerman » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:00 pm

larry how did the pups turn out? I have noticed in litters that once the pup gets cold (his body temp. drops) the mother will have nothing to do with them. be prepared to bottle feed and raise them sometimes they can be reintruduced to the mother. watch her to make sure she is nursing the cold pups. good luck. I seen this ad is cold I just wanted to post some advice for first time breeders.
Rowdy
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Rowdy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:44 pm

Goat Milk, period. Replacer will do in a pinch but goat's milk is a miracle drug for pups and bitch. I start the bitch on goats milk a week or so before whelp. I know guys who take the pups off the bitch if they need to hunt her and put pups on straight goat's milk.

It doesn't have to be dairy goat milk either. My girls have both Nubian and Boer, We were using the nubian so I milked out the Boer for the pups. If you have some Boer's around close that are kidding see if you can milk one out.
Chris Powell
Lotsagrit Plotts
call-me-ish
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby call-me-ish » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:02 am

As far as preperation for whelping, I have had good success by begin feeding the expectant mother calves liver and cottage cheese as a suppliment to her normal feed two weeks before due date. Builds up the potency of mom's milk. I continue the regiment until weaning. "just another option that has worked for me for years.
High Hopes for the Pack
bency
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby bency » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:24 am

Where you guys buying this Goats Milk Replacer? Feed store?

Return to “Health & Medical Issues”