Sore old dog

Discuss Health & Medical Issues
Dirty Jim
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Sore old dog

Postby Dirty Jim » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:04 pm

Anybody have any suggestions on keeping an old dog from getting sore and stiff? Like giving them aspirin or any kind of pill. I got a 10 year old dog that still has plenty of drive just gets real sore and stiff don't want to retire the ole boy quite yet?
oneguy828
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: Sore old dog

Postby oneguy828 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:25 pm

I have been using vetroprofin. Seems to help
Redwood Coonhounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000073410597

Postby Redwood Coonhounds » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:32 am

I'd take him to the vets and get a prescription of good arthritis meds. Please don't give the dog asprin. It will give them awful ulcers, its a blood thinner also so if he gets hurt he'll likely bleed to death, and with any old dog, if he has any hidden "tumors" on the inside you'd be likely to make them start bleeding. Rimadyl is a good choice, I believe that is waf Vetoprofin is.
Cassandra Davis
Redwood's Treeing Walker Coonhounds
& Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dogs
http://www.RedwoodCoonhounds.net/
https://www.facebook.com/RedwoodKennelsHounds
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:22 am

Feed dog food that has glucosamine in it. Al(on here)fed it to his ole Cody dog . Really helped her but i can't remember the name of it.
Unreal_tk
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Unreal_tk » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:31 am

Cassandra. Would ysou say the same to baby aspirin ? Been told to use it in the past.
chilcotin hillbilly
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100003065741116

Postby chilcotin hillbilly » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:55 am

Purica, recovery SA a great herbal supplement that really helps my wifes dog.
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
Home of the Chilcotin Treeing Piss Hounds
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:39 pm

I had good results use Missing Link Plus, daily along with Glyco- Flex. As bludawg stated able to prolong a good old hounds hunting life with this combination. Have also used Vetprofen, at that time could only get the Vetprofen thru a licensed vet. And required to have the dogs blood tested every so often. The missing Link Plus & Glyco- Flex is available thru Kv Pet supply without a vets authorization. The phone number for KV Pet is 1-800-423-8211 believe they still have a vet one can talk to that will make a recommendation for treatment at no charge. Also most of the orders ship free. Of coarse one can always consult your local vet. Al
Big N' Blue
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Big N' Blue » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:55 pm

Two old friends of mine used to give their old dogs a glass of red wine before they went hunting.
They both had dogs that lasted and going strong at 16 years of age. They started that when they were about ten.
Just passing on what I saw and am not recommending! LOL
Dirty Jim
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Dirty Jim » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:57 pm

Thanks for the info guys! I will definitely be looking into one of them products and I'll let u know results.
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Cowboyvon » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:09 pm

See if you can get some Adequan.. You can give it in the muscle.. Or legends I don't know if they have it for dogs and it has to be given in the vein ... but I use to use both for my roping horses..
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
come-hunt
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 100001710204870

Postby come-hunt » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:12 pm

250 mg vitamin C daily, takes a couple of weeks but it'll work. You've got to keep them on it. I've used it on birddogs a lot, I usually started a couple weeks before season and I hunted 'em hard too, very few times that it didn't work.
Big N' Blue's wine is vitamin C so he may be on too something. Yeah! it'll work on humans too.
I can make 'em go and I can make 'em Whoa !
God makes 'em do.
I'll take Jesus, you can have the field
slobberdoc
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 1534531216

Postby slobberdoc » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:54 pm

Do not give regular Aspirin (buffered/baby Aspirin is fine if you give it for a short time but not for a long term/life treatment. Usually not strong enough for moderate to severe pain.) and absolutely not Ibuprofen, Tylenol, etc.

Rimadyl (Carprofen, Vetprofen, etc.) is great, you need a prescription and it is somewhat expensive but it works wonders for any type of soreness or pain. I have used this in dogs for recovery from surgery, pain from injuries/broken bones, and for arthritis. Metacam and a new product called Deramaxx is similar but have not used it much. They are NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammitory drugs so there is an increased risk of side effects, but realistically they are safe drugs) If you read up on the Internet you will find a lot of horror stories (just like every other drug) and this really turns people off, but I have used it before safely and really see positive results.

Adequan injections I have heard mixed reviews, some dogs it woks great for and some not. Supposedly there are no risky side effects, but it seems to be much less effective in most cases.

There are lots of Glucosamine and Chondroitin products that people use, some swear by them, others think they don't work at all. Cosequin seems to be a very popular option. I would recommend these as a start, if they don't work then a different treatment might be needed.

There are plenty of home remedies too--Vitamin C was mentioned, I have also heard of apple cider vinegar being used (which seems to have lots of other positive benefits), and omega-3 fatty acid supplements
Jkohnke
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Jkohnke » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:51 pm

Bute. It's anti inflamitory plus pain killer. Dexamethasone also. Not to much dex though. Maybe a 1/4 cc or less before you hunt him. These are both horse drugs but I've been using them for years on dogs and horses. You'll have to get a Rx for the dex.
Jkrunnindogs
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:22 pm

make sure they eat well after they hunt, i wet my old dogs feed after hard races, i do use aspirin, with luck, but its not an everyday thing either. Dex (dextermethesone) is good, ill use .5-1 cc in the evening after a tough hunt or several days of running in a row and they seem well rested and ready to go the next day. Always bought Dex with out a RX, from vet or dog supply places, bought 50ml last week. Sore feet or muscles can use small amount of DMSO rub.
'If the hounds dont catch him on top, It doesnt count'
'Day Light and Eye Sight DONT LIE!'
EGO is not your AMIGO
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:26 pm

on a side note about dex, i seen my vet give a 50 lb hound that was just bitten by a copperhead snake 3 cc penicillin and 10 cc of dex under the skin, dog swelling went away almost immediately and dog was able to hunt the next day, told me i had the right tools in the medicines i administered but was severely underdosing them for the results i wanted from a snake bite
'If the hounds dont catch him on top, It doesnt count'
'Day Light and Eye Sight DONT LIE!'
EGO is not your AMIGO

Return to “Health & Medical Issues”