Temporary paralysis

Discuss Health & Medical Issues
Twopipe
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Temporary paralysis

Postby Twopipe » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:47 am

I was freecasting the hounds yesterday to see if they could find a fox but they ended up tangling with a coon in the cattails. When it was all done my 5 year old female couldn't get to her feet. She tried but it was like she couldn't control her legs,like she was real weak. The episode with the coon did not last very long and all the other dogs were fine. After about 5 minutes of that condition she got up and seemed fine. When I got back to the truck i gave her some water and when I got her home 20 minutes later you couldn't tell that anything had happened. Anyone seen this before or have any ideas what happened?
A good dog hunts wherever he's set down.
Twopipe
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: Temporary paralysis

Postby Twopipe » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:16 pm

Maybe low blood sugar?
A good dog hunts wherever he's set down.
Jeff Eberle
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Jeff Eberle » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:44 am

If the coon bit the dog it may be coon dog paralysis
Get JESUS In Your Life & Your Dog's In The Wood's

CLAVEY RIVER CUR'S
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:30 pm

I saw a similar situation once with a young hound that started dropping out of races, vet found he had a very enlarged heart. Actually it happened more than once, had to have him put down. Another young hound that was making a very nice dog, experienced that problem after a hard race, he had a urinary tract infection. Spent several dollars in vet bills, lost him a few months later. Sure don/t mean to be negative, just what I have experienced. Good luck & hopeful it won/t happen to your female again! Al
call-me-ish
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby call-me-ish » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:11 am

Through the years I've seen this a couple of times but with a greater time lapse than you experienced. On One occassion my hound was unable to stand and basically swelled in a strut the morning following a hunt. The vet diagnosed it as coon paralysis. The dog fully recovered with no noticible side affects.

Hope your dog does O.K.
High Hopes for the Pack
Budd Denny
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Budd Denny » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:12 am

I've had chp in hounds and terrier's, both times in was a week or more after contact with the coon. Also have a terrier that has paralysis symptoms after working game and a beagle that got it while running. Without testing my vet mentioned sugar. If it was chp trust me your dog wouldn't have been on her feet that quick.
........Budd Denny..........

Return to “Health & Medical Issues”