Any idea what this is???

Discuss Health & Medical Issues
AK Zach
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Any idea what this is???

Postby AK Zach » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:17 am

Hey guys I have a question for you. This is a healthy, 4 month old, heavy Albert bred Black and Tan pup. I noticed this on his hind end for the first time today, it came up almost overnight. At first sight I thought he had expressed his anal glands by himself, upon closer examination, I realized that it wasn't the case, and these are on the outside of his anus. (Sorry about having to look at the dogs arse!) but I figure this has something to do with these glands. I am well educated on how to express scent glands, as we have other hounds and sled dogs that require them a few times a year. This pups will not express, and I have never had the anal glands become a problem until usually after the first year of age. I can't see why this pup's glands would need to be expressed anyhow, but I tried to no avail. It does seem to be bothering him, but not a lot. I spoke with a couple big timers, best answer I got was from Mike Martell that it could be a genetic issue. He suggested I post this here to see if anyone else may have seen this before or know what this is? I spoke with the man that breeds these dogs today and sent him pictures and he assured me that none of his dogs have had this issue. He is an honest man and I know for a fact that he wouldn't lie to me. I have some penicillin on hand and think I will go ahead and administer that for a 3 days or so. Any help or knowledge of this would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the pup:

The problem:

fargo
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: Any idea what this is???

Postby fargo » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:00 pm

I have a female that had one that looked like that but it was between the arse and where she pee's from That I left alone for 4 yrs but had it taken off early this spring. It was a skin tag it grew every year but it never bothered her. chances are a vet could nip them off while they are small with a laser and not ever have to worry about them but if they get bigger and he has to stitch it then that might cause some greif for the dog down the road
Emily
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Emily » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:56 pm

Hemarrhoids/ If so, wipe them off with witch hazel solution, which will ease the itch, and make sure she doesn't get constipated--bulk up her food with rice or feed her fish oil. Should go away in a few weeks.

If they are indeed skin tags, they can be tied off with dental floss and will fall off. But check with a vet first.
esp
AK Zach
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby AK Zach » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:01 pm

I'm still not positive what this was but if you have a dog that gets it I gave .6cc's (30 lb pup) penicillin x5 days and it cleared it up in about 2 weeks. He is fine now thanks for the help!!!

Return to “Health & Medical Issues”