Discuss Health & Medical Issues
Jonsoutdoors
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Flees and using Permethrin

Postby Jonsoutdoors » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:14 am

Hey Everyone,
It sounds like everyone is having a giant flee problem this year. I have never had a problem but my dogs are infested. I bought some Permethrin and soak the dogs down, sprayed their kennels and took out all their bedding and sprayed their house then replaced with new cedar. I don't know what else to do. The Permethrin says 1.28oz to a gallon of water. If you have used Permethrin, is this how you mix it or can I mix it a bit stronger? Thanks for any help.
God Bless and see you in the Outdoors
and remember take a kid with you on your next trip,
Jon
www.jonsoutdoors.com
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Flees and using Permethrin

Postby 1bludawg » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:50 am

It seems fleas have become immune to a lot of products today.I would highly recommend Happy Jack Products as they work.
I used Advantix( a liquid you put on dogs back ) this year and it has worked well. I bought it at my vets.Be sure to get the correct weight size for your dog.
It lasts about a month .
Bon Plott
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bon Plott » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:57 am

Sergeants at the dollar store is permethrin virtually same as Advantics only about 5 bucks for 3 month treatment works great

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Yocham30

Postby Yocham30 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:35 pm

Permethrin works very well and you can mix it stonger. You can sray it in the house to. have never had or herd of any one ever have a problem with it.
davidg1!
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby davidg1! » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:10 pm

Add 5% Nylar to the permethin so thier eggs will not hatch and your through with them for 6 or so months.
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby dwalton » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:15 am

Feas can be a problem but they are not if you stay after them. Permethrin woks great as well as a pill or Advantage. I use livestock dust for horses, cows or chickens it can be bought at local feed stores and is inexpensive. Dust the dogs regular but more important dust there bedding. If you kill them off in the winter, you will not have as much trouble in the summer. I have not seen a flea here for years but do not hunt with others and when a new dog comes on the place he is dusted and wormed before he is exposed to my dogs.
Keeping them off the dirt helps with worms and fleas also. Dewey
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:08 am

Over the years have used all the mentioned flea chemicals, last few years have used Frontline Plus once a month, great results & very little work on my end. I use scissors to cut the hair away in three spots along the spine this allows the liquid contact with the skin. As mentioned,fleas are near impossible to control with any product I have used if one does not keep the kennel & and area near the kennels sanitary. I clean my kennels daily & dispose the stools. I built an exercise fenced area this spring that I also clean the stools from. Not sure what FrontLine Plus cost, wife orders for me& figure best I don/t ask the cost. Wife shops on line to find best price each time she orders, says it saves us on the cost. Good luck Al
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:53 am

Ticks have been my trouble lately. Not at home or kennels but in Mexico its insane. I've not had much luck keeping them off the dogs. They die granted with the spot ons but I've had to start spraying their feet and legs regularly to keep them off enough to be manageable. I'm more worried about over dosing my dogs at this point. I spray everything even areas my dogs overnight at. Its hard to tell a dead tick from a live one with a flashlight. So I'm really shooting for zero ticks and that may not be realistic.
JTG
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby JTG » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:33 pm

Return to “Health & Medical Issues”