Bobcat bite infection

Discuss Health & Medical Issues
Taylor
Facebook ID: 0

Bobcat bite infection

Postby Taylor » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:55 pm

Is there anything you guys do other then antibiotics for your dogs when they get a bite? Wondering if there’s anything can be done to possibly immune them from infection and then the swelling?? My concern is the long term health of a pack of hounds that catches a cat on the ground once every month or so and has to get put on antibiotics. Let’s here your thoughts or opinions
"If you did not see it in the tree it did not happen" -Herb kennedy
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Bobcat bite infection

Postby 1bludawg » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:15 pm

Start them on Tetracycline before they swell up. I put them on it as soon as I
get home. Leave them on it for 7 days and you'll never know they were bitten
unless it's in a joint. or something.
I've never heard of a dog developing an immunity to a cat bite,if that were possible you would think they would develop one after dozens of cat bites.
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:42 pm

Always do probiotics after antibiotics. Antibiotics kill the good floura in the intestines as well as the bad. So replenish them because it is vital to the health of your dogs in many crucial ways.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
bearsinva

Postby bearsinva » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:17 pm

LDHarris,
Very interesting point. Don't take this next question as offensive, but wonder why I have never heard of this being prescribed before.Did you have a vet recommend this to you? (Once again, not doubting your word at all) This really got me thinking and it does make good sense. Thanks for bringing this up?
PS What probiotics did you use and what dosage for how long? Interesting to say the least>
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby dwalton » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:42 pm

At most feed stores you can get first day mastitis medicine that is for cows udders it is a long point for ejecting into udders. It is a antibiotic which will flush the tooth bite and put antibiotics into the wound. Give 500 mg Cephalexin per 50 # of body weight. I do this as soon as I get back to the truck. Then give Cephalexin every day for at 5 to 10 days. Most all antibiotics will affect heathy bacteria in the stomach which probiotics will help restore. If one waits until you have a problem before treatment it will take a lot longer to fix. Dewey
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:51 pm

That's right Dewey. I was taught this by a greyhound buddy of mine AND of all people, an ex-girlfriend/barrel racer. Of course my greyhound buddy is or was partnered with a vet on several dogs. I can tell a bunch of stories about what I have witnessed from the probiotics. It has fixed a large number of problems for my dogs. My buddy sold more dogs for more money than anyone at nationals and the the reason being is his dogs out performed the others. He had the only kennel that didn't get sick while up there and he is the only kennel that feeds probiotics. He uses a liquid called Health Gard, the spelling is correct. You can look their website up. A capful per dog is plenty. It will most likely give the dosage on the jug. Its GREAT for people too. My boys drink it straight. Its odorless, tasteless, and clear. You can drink it straight or add it to you coffee or ice tea. They have canine, equine, and human and the only difference in them is price. We take the canine type. TSC has 2 or 3 different brands. 2 types in a dial tube, the one I like best is called jump start and the other is probios. They also have probios powder and there on that is a pre/probiotic powder but I can't remember the name of it. Then there is a granular type called fast track and I believe it comes in liquid also. I'm using the fast track granular now and each dog gets about a teaspoon size helping everyday. I can feed my dogs and they will wait for me to put the probiotics on there and eat them first and i doesn't matter which form I use. My girlfriend had 3 AAA grade race horse mates given to her because the people couldn't get them to carry their foals to term. The only thing she did different was start them on probiotics and when she bred them they all carried healthy babies to term with no trouble foaling. She also doesn't have trouble with horses getting colic. I had a bulldog female that was bred when I got her. Her coat was long and nasty and she had a good frame but wasn't fleshy and all gut. She had the pups pre maturely and all died with some of them under developed. I couldn't get her right so I started her on probiotics. In a month and a half people that had seen her didn't recognize her. She dropped the bloated gut, slicked off, and muscled out. Anyway. Sorry for the rant, hope I answered your questions.

lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:52 pm

Race horse mares not mates lol. Dang not so smart phone.

Twopipe
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Twopipe » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:32 pm

Lawdawg,
Do you give the Health Gard everyday as a preventative or to treat symptoms? Is $29.99 per quart sound about like the going rate?
A good dog hunts wherever he's set down.
Kcb1961

Postby Kcb1961 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:41 pm

Can I give probiotics along with antibiotics he’s just not healing well
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:38 am

That price is correct. I buy it by the gallon because it's a little cheaper that way.

You can give probiotics along with the antibiotics but I'm not sure how much good it will do ad the antibiotics will likely kill a vast majority the probiotics given. I would hydro the heck out of the wound everyday and make sure its healing from the inside out. It will continue to abcess or stay nasty as long as it closes outside first. The mastitis medication with the applicator on it is a good suggestion. I have used it on injured hog dogs before with good results. I was also told you can draw the health gard up in a syringe and squirt it directly into a wound and increase the healing time. I have not tried that yet.

lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:40 am

I give probiotics everyday. If I'm in a hurry, like its raining or something like that I will skip it sometimes but usually a daily thing for dogs.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:49 am

Thanks a lot for the info guys! I have started my dogs on the probiotics and So far very impressed. Dogs just all around seem to be more happy and energized
"If you did not see it in the tree it did not happen" -Herb kennedy

Return to “Health & Medical Issues”