Parvo recovery, yard clean + other dogs, vaccinations

Discuss Health & Medical Issues
kyleds8

Parvo recovery, yard clean + other dogs, vaccinations

Postby kyleds8 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:11 pm

Hey all,

need some help. Took my 4month pup into vet today with parvo, I'm devastated. Pup has never been off my property which has never had parvo, owned it for 15 years, except when I took her to vet for 2nd round of shots last week, 3 days later- Parvo starts.

First of all I'm worried about my other dogs, they are all vaccinated, and vet said they would be find though exposed to pups parvo. Anyone with experience on this?

Next, I'm going to be positive and assume she pulls through, what can I do to help her recovery? Will she be negatively affected for the rest of her life? anyone had pups w parvo make good hunting dogs?

Finally, I need to disinfect my house and yard, looking for recommendations. For those who have had parvo on their yard, how do you bring in new pups? if your dog's had parvo can you run it w other dogs safely?

many thanks,

Kyle
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Parvo recovery, yard clean + other dogs, vaccinations

Postby Goose » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:58 pm

If she pulls through just keep all the food and water in front of her she wants along with giving her some pro and pre biotics to help restore her beneficial gut bacteria, grown dogs it shouldn’t phase but younger dogs it may, just keep an eye out, no it will not have any adverse effects on her hunting career once she’s older, she more than likely contracted it at the vet clinic itself, vaccines don’t take immediate effect it takes a week or so to build immunity, and when given the vaccine already it’s suppressing her immune system in reaction of the virus being administered, if it were me I’d give my own vaccines and look into giving the Neo-Par vaccine, it’s strictly parvovirus alone and is the strongest vaccine on the market, once she’s been given her rounds of that then is proceed with the regular vaccinations and keep them off the ground in a CLEAN environment until she’s been given her vaccinations..
kyleds8

Postby kyleds8 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:20 pm

Hey Goose,

thanks for that info, will definitely move to doing my own vaccinations after this. She was 2 out of the 3 vaccinations done, so I'm gonna look into whether the vaccine company will cover any of the medical bill.

any thoughts on the risk to the other adult vaccinated dogs in the yard getting parvo from her contamination?

many thanks
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Goose » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:16 pm

I’m no vet so I’m saying this from just my experience but I’ve never seen an adult dog catch parvovirus vaccinated or not, I have seen adult female come down and die of coccidiosis while raising a litter of pups, and looking back and knowing what I now know that was more than likely hook worms bc none of her pups died, I’ve raised a pile of pups in my life and most of them have been on the ground only after I’ve weaned have I had troubles, so now as soon as they’re weaned I put them in a above ground pen and put and keep corid and a little bit of epsom salt in their water to help with Coccidiosis prevention and run their vaccine course through them which is usually a 5-way followed by 10-way at about 10 weeks and knock on wood it’s been working great, the most important thing is keeping a CLEAN environment for the pups and your yard in general, you can purchase industrial strength disinfectant concentrates that when proper procedure is followed kills ALOT of viruses including parvovirus, I disinfect pen and water and food bowls before I put them in it and all has been good but I keep it as clean as I possibly can hope this helps and if you have another pup come down with it at home if you can get some sort of med down him to prevent vomiting and keep fluids down him it can be treated at home on numerous occasions over time I’ve had to treat at home for that and Coccidia if you can get your hands on Iv fluid bags or even just some needle and syringes and you can inject fluids sub-cutaneous (between skin and muscle), it will swell up like a big fluid knot, that’s what you want, their body will absorb the fluid and keep them hydrated as long as you stay on top of them and do this again about every hour or so and use a small as needle as possible with your fluid being room temperature or above, hope all this helps in future problems...
kyleds8

Postby kyleds8 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:25 am

hey goose, thank you very much for the advice, will definitely be treating at home if it happens again, that vet bill was something to see... Pup is doing well and putting weight back on.

Return to “Health & Medical Issuesâ€