Sores on dogs

Discuss Health & Medical Issues
Muleskinner9
Facebook ID: 0

Sores on dogs

Postby Muleskinner9 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:07 pm

I have several hounds that are getting sores, one hound is worse then the other 3 any one ever see crusty sores that keep spreading. sides, legs, ears, head. Took him to the vet and the vet didn't know what it is, so she has sent off scrapings to the lab.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Sores on dogs

Postby Beebout-it » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:56 pm

Sounds like mange to me. But I'm no vet.
cur man

Postby cur man » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:49 pm

Same thing happened to my cur when I fed Diamond Extreme Athlete. Switched to Pro Plan and it cleared up.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:10 pm

Could be food allergies, I’ve seen it in several dogs. I switched them to grain free food and it started going away after 3-4 weeks. it took 6 months to fully go away. Might be worth trying.
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:04 pm

It could be allergies of course but it could be mosquitoes. They itch a dog just like a person which causes them to create sores just like people. Horse fly spray is a good deterrent. They have one that’s in a green bottle, it’s supposed to be all natural. It had mint in it and it smells good to me and it’s nontoxic. I’ve seen ants cause it too. If it’s several though I would bet on mosquitoes, especially if you are feeding the same as you’ve been feeding prior to the sores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:05 pm

I can’t remember the name of that spray but I do remember buying it at TSC.

Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:34 pm

What kinda condition is their bedding material in, not trying to pick or poke fun bc I've dealt with something similar last two summers that I've never noticed before, in the case of my dogs it will look like a smaller ringworm but will eventually get a light puss build up under skin crust and when skin crust is removed and the sore is mashed a little it HURTS them, I've seen it make game bred pit bulls whimper in pain, and if you look closely it looks like tiny miniscule larvae embedded in the skin, I haven't taken one to the vet for it I just put medicine on it, just read not to long ago that there's actually a parasite that will take up in old damp bedding material and infest the dogs body parts that come in contact with it the most, I've mainly had it on sides of legs, under the belly and on their ears...
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:01 pm

Goose what you are describing sounds exactly like something my vet was telling me about yesterday. Bot fly larvae under your dogs skin. Sounds terrible!
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:37 pm

Hey cuz I have a few dogs that on the job pains don't exist at all, one had one of those sores pop up on his head and everyday when I would mash away the old crusty skin he would whimper like a whipped puppy and squirm like heck to get away, I've got several that can be torn to pieces and just lay there as I put them back together and hardly flinch but will squall like a coon when I'm treating the sores, the dogs aren't covered in them it's just random cases here and there and something I first stared noticing last summer at first on mine, then I saw it on my hunting partners dogs, thinking it may be something going on parasitic wise with just our dogs then really got to looking at other folks dogs all around and took notice it wasn't just ours, it's not bot fly but something very similar but on a much smaller scale, I'm in the process of dumping and cleaning out all my houses and spreading sulphur then cedar shaving in the houses...
Muleskinner9

Postby Muleskinner9 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:18 am

It’s a fungus I believe. Carried the worst one to the vet sent of samples waiting to hear back? But placed him on two antibiotics. But what helped the most was a fungal shampoo , scrubbed the scabs of when bathing and cream applied after they dried, it’s made for livestock bought and TS. Cleaned all their bedding and they’re all healing good.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:03 am

Glad to hear you figured it out!
mercy

Postby mercy » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:07 am

can you share the products you guys used?
mulehound
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby mulehound » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:57 pm

Had a dog going through the same thing. Vet was at a loss. Lady in town have me a bottle of braggs apple cider vinegar. I sprayed him down once a day and it cleared up with in ten days. I was amazed it worked.
Darrel
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:48 pm

Apple cider vinegar is outstanding and in my opinion highly under valued. It is great as a fungicide, in their feed and water for minerals and it cuts gut fat, it also kills viruses. The best is supposed to be the apple cider vinegar with the mother in it. Mother is the combination of yeast and bacteria related during fermentation. It helps the body absorb and digest nutrients better. It also helps with bloating and numerous other things.

Return to “Health & Medical Issues”