Lost In New Mexico

Post your Missing - Stolen - Lost Hounds
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Lost In New Mexico

Postby Cowboyvon » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:27 pm

I have 3 dogs that are still out in the Black Range of the Gila in the Aldo Leopold Wilderness. I trailered to another place just on the other side of the divide from my camp with a couple of friends. The dogs hit a track and trialed into some rough country we tried to get them but we needed more mules and less horses... they treed and we almost got to them and it bailed .. it got late they weren't prepared to stay out overnight so we came on out..still didn't get back to camp until after 35 miles and 10 at night... not a good start for a kid that had only rode a couple of times before and had never hunted lions.. anyway I'm headed out again, had 4 out and found one yesterday so this is the 3 day, not sure if anyone from this part of NM reads this but if you do keep an eye out. ... Call 575-640-9290 leave a message I'm out of the service area most of the time....Thanks!

One of them is: Lilly white hound standing sideways

These are the other 2.. the black and tan looking ones
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Lost In New Mexico

Postby Cowboyvon » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:50 pm

The dogs were all found.. 1 was picked up by a nice kid on the highway .. I found another not too far from where they were last seen ... one came back to the drop off place and the smart one of the bunch made it all the back to my camp on her own.. Thanks to Mike in Silver City without his help I would probably still be looking for dogs..
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
Big N' Blue
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Big N' Blue » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:10 pm

Outstanding!! thanks for the update!!
DirtyDave
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby DirtyDave » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:39 pm

Glad you found them!
catsup

Postby catsup » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:31 pm

Glad you got them back.
farleydog

Postby farleydog » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:03 pm

Happy you found them, I lost a few of my cowdogs in the past. So I know the feeling when they are lost(or I can not find them).
Emily
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Emily » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:52 am

So glad they are all back.
Next time (and there will be a next time) leave an article of clothing with your scent on it near where you dropped them. If they can get back, they usually will, and they will wait for you where you leave your scent article. They all seem to know this instinctively.
esp
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Cowboyvon » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:47 am

Yeah I have done that many times... but what I really thought they would do would trail us out back to camp.. we didn't go back to where we dropped off, we came back to my place (what I call camp) and that is what I wanted them to do mainly because I didn't want them on the highway. My place is pretty remote and I have had them out over night many times and they have always found there way back but this time instead of riding out from the place we trailered out.. Thanks

I guess I should say I'm not the kid that had only rode a couple of times.. like it sounds in my original post lol, he was with us.. don't think he will ever come again :lol:

Henry David Thoreau

Return to “Lost and Stolen Dogs”