Got one timid hound that doesn't like the back of the truck

Forum Rules and Policies
Newfoundcathunter12
Facebook ID: 0

Got one timid hound that doesn't like the back of the truck

Postby Newfoundcathunter12 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:51 pm

Hay everybody I have got a hound that's a female that is absolutely terrified of the back of the truck! She will come to me but when I try to get her in te back she does everything in her way to ge out! What do I need to do? Help ASAP I hope it's not to late!
horshur
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Got one timid hound that doesn't like the back of the tr

Postby horshur » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:10 pm

I wouldn't make a big deal about it...worst thing is to get obsessive about it.
I think if some good things happen in the dogs opinion because of the ride they won't mind it much..the other deal to consider is they can get real car sick... most grow out of it but if that is what is happening you need to keep the drives short and the objective of the drive a good time for the dog until such as she don't mind it...as well if there is another dog not being nice the back of the truck she is going to be feeling real trapped.
Dale T
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dale T » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:36 pm

Are you taking about the back of your truck or your dog box? either way I'd try and put her in it for a couple of hours, feed her there and just let her get to where all the fear is gone and she see's it just like her dog house.
Ignorance and not getting involved is the biggest enemy to a Houndsmen!
icehole
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby icehole » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:08 am

I have a six month old pup that gets car sick half the time. One time you put her in the box she starts slobbering so bad she looks like my mastiff. Next time she rides and does fine no slobbering. I throw her in every chance I get and she seems to be getten better. Having a hole she can stick her head out seems to help. Last time I went she didnt want to get in the box so I left her and took the other dogs. I think it had the effect I was looking for of being left behind.
super white hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby super white hunter » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:22 am

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty". Thomas Jefferson
icehole
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby icehole » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:21 pm

I will give it a try, she hasnt been wormed for a few months.
Newfoundcathunter12

Postby Newfoundcathunter12 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:37 pm

Thanks for all of the Info but I got another question if I put here in the back of my truck she jumps out so should I just put her in the back of the truck and shut my tailgate and pet her? Last time I tried to put her in there she literally started scratching and stuff doing whatever she could to get out! What do I do?
Dale T
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dale T » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:03 am

Tie her in give her food and water and leave her there as long as you can.
Ignorance and not getting involved is the biggest enemy to a Houndsmen!
cobalt
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby cobalt » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:40 am

No offense, but you have seriously screwed this dog up. If and when you ever go hunting or training, just pick the dog up and physicaally load it into a DOG BOX and deal with however it acts. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Training dogs is not rocket science, but if you don't learn the basics of handling a dog, have someone who knows train your dog and learn from them. This condition is rarely the dogs fault.
Ker_man
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Ker_man » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:19 am

First, not sure why you posted this under the Conduct And Policies section.
You had lots of good advice in your last post.
A couple things I did not see were... how old is she?..is she afraid of the truck?.......the dog box?......or the movement. Something triggered this fear. Real good advice below about feeding in the back of the truck but take the box out of the truck to start. If you have other dogs that you can leave loose and have her on a small rope.......feed what ever it takes to get them in, try starting with just dog food. spread a bit around in the bed of the box, have the small pack jump in and feed then make them get out and praise and repeat. When the tail board is closed no one can get out, just block her with your hand in front of her face, if the other dogs won't stay when closed don't try this yet. As mentioned in the other posts back up to some sloping ground so it is only a slight rise to get in.

Now the dog box...same procedure start on the ground,in and out with food and praise and another dog if possible. At first only close her in for half a minute and out... with praise it will get fun for her. When you head her for the truck or box make sure she has to go and with that rope she can't get away. As cobalt said just lift her in to start. Try to avoid dragging her toward them.
(You wouldn't drag a young dog onto a dead bear, it would scare them) It's amazing the effect of seeing her pack mates in and out has. Same with the rides make the short rides fun.....out to smell around and back in.
Sorry for being so long winded guys...I hate to see a young dog be a cull on the hunt cause their afraid of the ride.

Return to “Forum Code of Conduct and Policies”