THE TOUGHEST HOUND BREED????????????

Forum Rules and Policies
dylandoering
Facebook ID: 0

THE TOUGHEST HOUND BREED????????????

Postby dylandoering » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:52 pm

I would like everyone to break down the hounds they think are the toughest, advantages and disadvantages, I am a total newbie at this, but i really want a hound, i am starting with just one, so i want a tough one who could take on a coon and kill it if it needed to pretty easily, i also live in town but i could take my hound to a state park almost everyday, and i am very capable of running my hound till its bone tired every single day, iv done research and i think im very capable of owning a hound and keeping it happy and well cared for
LarryBeggs
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: THE TOUGHEST HOUND BREED????????????

Postby LarryBeggs » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:30 pm

I think there are tough bloodlines within each breed. I don't think that all bloodlines within any one breed are tough. You will have all different opinions on what tough is . To me tough is endurance and persistence.

Buy that definition in the dogs I have seen hunt, hands down not even close, was a bloodline of plots that were floating around Oregon in the 70s and early 80s. As far as I know they were first bred up buy Ron Hill And Dave Thompson. If I told some of the things I seen these dogs do. I would be thought a liar and an exaggerator . As far as I know there is none of this bloodline still floating around out there.

It take more than just tough to catch game. A lot of tough can be added to a dog buy hard hunting. I would start with my first hound with a dog that would be easy to train. Good luck. Hope you find what will suit you. Larry
khodges

Postby khodges » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:44 pm

Cant go wrong with Plotts.
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:34 pm

I would have to agree that as a breed,Plotts are probably the toughest and grittiest! But also agree with Larry that the other breeds have some dogs just as tough .You can narrow your selection even more when you decide what you want in voice,size,conformation "etc".
treetalkingjp
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby treetalkingjp » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:31 pm

I'd also vote plott .
Big ridge kennels

its not the dog in the hunt, its the hunt in the dog
dylandoering

Postby dylandoering » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:38 pm

thx everyone, so i was wondering what, overall is probably the easiest hound breed to train is?????
bearsnva
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby bearsnva » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:14 pm

You just asked a question there is NO answer to. That is why so many different people hunt different breeds. If there was a pat answer there would just be one breed. Surely there is a coon club you could join and see what is going on and what they are hunting and if you like it. Go watch and offer to help with the dogs. I agree the Plotts are about about as tough as they come but if you are coon hunting strictly you won't see mostly Plotts. ( Yes I hunt Plotts) Best of luck but take your time and don't just go and buy a dog to have another. One good dog will make you happier than a bunch of mediocre ones.
Henefer-hound-hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Henefer-hound-hunter » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:08 am

Their is no hound breed that is easier to train than another but the real good strains of hounds in every breed will be natural hunters there for easier to train. As for a gritty dog to kill coons I have seen every breed of hound kill coons but the ones I saw that did it with ease and quick we're plotts and black and tans. Hope that helps

Cameron
chilcotin hillbilly
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100003065741116

Postby chilcotin hillbilly » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:17 pm

I don't know squat about Plotts but i watched a dvd of some hunting lynx in Sweden, if you would watch that pathetic performance you would never own one. All you Plott guys would hang your head in shame. LOL
I think every breed has grit, remember you are only hunting coon. Grit on bear and is different, as is grit on cats. I have never met a dog who didn't think they could whip a lion.
Being new I would go with an easy handling dog that is easily trained. Like a cur of some kind.
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
Home of the Chilcotin Treeing Piss Hounds
MThound
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby MThound » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:29 pm

I personally wouldn't want an extremely gritty dog. Rather have one that is smart enough to stay back when need be but can still put the pressure on game. If you want a dog that's going to grab onto everything it can, expect a lot of expensive trips to the vet or a dead dog.
ol'guy
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby ol'guy » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:03 pm

First look around in your area most guys will let you tag along go with differant breeds if possible listen to the people talk (sometime the guy that says the least says more) I'm not sold on any breed you show me a good dog sitting under the tree WITH THE GAME thats the dog I want
I do raise a specific breed but always looking
ol'guy
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby ol'guy » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:10 pm

One other thing the dog is supposed to run and catch (tree) game YOUR JOB IS TO FINISH it.
justahunter
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby justahunter » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:24 pm

PLOTTS!!! especially mine :lol: :wink:
Hunt hard cull hard !
fallriverwalker1
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby fallriverwalker1 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:08 pm

in 45 yrs I've never seen aplott that was worth a bullet.... and yes I have hunted about every blood line out there . I've walked in on to many on the ground and those gritty plots were all standing back 20 or 39 feet back barking at the brush /// so all you striped dog lovers need to se a real bear dog ,, that outa start something right mark
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:45 pm

In my 45 years i have only seen one dog that had the grit that i require in a bear dog. He has never caught a bear in my presence but im positive he would if i ask it of him. He is a registered Jack Russell and has no fear! The only time i have ever seen him show the white feather is with the pet cow elk that appears around here with her small herd on a regular basis, and she will put the little dog back on the porch in short order! That being said, i have been hearing rumors of a Chee Wa Wa out of Cleveland Texas that is spose to be hell on possums,pot bellied pigs, and mules, with the occasional gator thrown in there. With all due respect Governor Jim i highly recommend you checking into some of that type of blood for your future grit breeding bear blood! You just never know what the next big thing is going to be or where it will come from. :shock:

Return to “Forum Code of Conduct and Policies”