Looking to get into bear dogs!

Forum Rules and Policies
possumcreekkennels
Facebook ID: 0

Looking to get into bear dogs!

Postby possumcreekkennels » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:26 pm

Looking to get into bear hunting with dogs... Just looking for some guidance on purchasing bear dogs, bloodlines, training, ect. I have been raising and training ACK reg. rabbit beagles for little over 10 years now. I run a conservative medium speed dog. I like a dog that has good hunt and a big nose. I am not sure if the same qualities & traits are in the bear dog blood lines?? Like I said I am just starting to get in to the bear hunting and looking for any help or advice before purchasing any dogs. Thanks
bearsnva
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Looking to get into bear dogs!

Postby bearsnva » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:16 pm

Since you have been raising and running beagles you probably have some friends that know some people in groups that are bear hunting. Try to find someone that will let you go along and help with their dogs, and only[help]. Don't even take a gun, there will most certainly be a pecking order on who is going to do the killing and one of the worst things to do is give the impression you are only there for the kill. You will get to see what dogs are getting it done and the terrain you will have to deal with and also the issues bear hunters deal with in their locality. This way you can see if it is really what you want before you drop all the cash into something you may not really like. It won't take but a few days leading a dog to let you know if the sport is what you really want. Keeping bear dogs, if it is done right, is an expensive and year round occupation. Good luck.
Dale T
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dale T » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:21 pm

Ignorance and not getting involved is the biggest enemy to a Houndsmen!
possumcreekkennels

Postby possumcreekkennels » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:59 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have tried to find a group to go along with but they seem to be a little picky about who they take along which is understandable. I am def. not looking to kill just trying to get out there to learn about the sport and what all takes place. I guess I will keep searching for a group to go along with. Thanks for the help
tj54982

Postby tj54982 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:58 pm

if you are still looking, try just riding around in a hunted area. i did this years ago and helped a group of hunters out at a road crossing, caugaht dogs and watched cars. after awhile, they stopped me and talked to me. i wxplained that i was wanting to start hound hunting for bears, and they let me tag along as they knew i was a good guy. i am now hunting and have 5 dogs. it was worth it, but it is expensive. if you cant find anyone, call me and i will take you!!! 715-617-3073

Return to “Forum Code of Conduct and Policies”