Garmin Antenna Comparision and Reviews

Post your product review or ask questions on products

Buddyw
Site Admin
Site Admin
Facebook ID: 100000011567041

Garmin Antenna Comparision and Reviews

Postby Buddyw » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:58 pm

So I've been meaning to Give a General Idea of what antenna's are good and which ones you should get. Here is my Opinion Based Review of them. I personally use the Mag Mount antenna 95% of the time, However I've been forcing myself to use some of the others and Listening to feed back on them.

Antenna's are a Tough Choice because each 220 Get's a different Range and some folks see good results while others don't notice any improvement.

Here is my review and Comments for those who want to study and see the Pro's and Con's Feel free to help add on to these pro's and Con's as you may use certain ones more than me..

http://garminastrodog.com/garmin-astro- ... questions/
ferjr
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Garmin Antenna Comparision and Reviews

Postby ferjr » Thu May 17, 2012 1:57 pm

Will a C.B. anteanea work on the garmin magnetic base? It does screw on it but I havnt tried it to see if it will work.
Buddyw
Site Admin
Site Admin
Facebook ID: 100000011567041

Postby Buddyw » Thu May 17, 2012 2:24 pm

No the CB antenna is 27 Mhz you want a 155mhz antenna.
ferjr
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby ferjr » Thu May 17, 2012 2:39 pm

Ok. Thanks, I was just looking at mine this morning and saw that it will screw on the base. I looked like it would work a lot better but wasnt sure, it sure looks alot better than the little magnetic antanea. I dont know a whole lot about electronics, that is why I figured I best ask someone that did. I thought it probably wouldnt, or someone else would have done it by now.
Steve White
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Steve White » Thu May 17, 2012 8:26 pm

Buddy, I have to nit pick that 155 a little. 152.5-153 is a far better choice. Especially if one has the ability to tune the antenna. May not seem like much, but you will have a far better SWR when splitting the band rather than being above or below it. With the first 30 id's being 151, and the last 20 at 154. With a 155 antenna your best performance will be on the 154 channels.

Not saying the 155 antenna will not work. Just that you will maximize the range when more closely tuned. This is why many folks will tune their CB antenna's on channel 19. Also why more serious ham operators use an antenna tuner. Not only is a flat SWR(1.5-1 or less) going to help range, but also prevent damage to the unit. When not tuned properly power gets reflected back to the transmitter. Which will burn it up. Not a problem at the moment with a Garmin handheld because they are only receiving. But why it is important to have properly tuned collar antennas!

This is not intended as any kind of pissing match. Just as an educational thing for all.
Steve White
White's Woods & Waters
http://www.whiteswoodsandwaters.com
steve@whiteswoodsandwaters.com
715-892-0032
Beardawgs
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Beardawgs » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:11 pm

Steve and/or Buddy,

I have this magnetic mount antenna for my Astro 220. What frequency is this antenna? Or will it make a difference in performance if I use the higher or lower frequency ID's? For example, IF this antenna is a 155 MHz then wouldn't I get the most performance out of the higher frequency ID numbers?

Thanks
Wide Open!

North Idaho Big Game Hounds

Return to “Equipment and Product Review”