which trackers are best Gps , telemetry

Post your product review or ask questions on products

luckylqh
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

which trackers are best Gps , telemetry

Postby luckylqh » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:23 am

which trackers are best ,get the best range I heard you could get something from icom that worked good also wondering about wildlife ,johnson ,quicktrack really need some input ,gonna buy new and want the best thanks guys
wiwalkerman
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: which trackers are best Gps , telemetry

Postby wiwalkerman » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:59 pm

thats kind of like asking what is better an apple or an orange. they both have good points and bad points. I don't turn a dog out that only has gps on it. Only used my beep beep tracker 1 time in 3 months of hunting last year.The gps has a lot more range issues than the telemetry but the gps is more pin point accurate. Real nice when it is time to gather them up and head home.
bearsnva
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby bearsnva » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:05 pm

A couple of things to consider. I have both types of collars and put both on the dogs. Just as a back up but I really never used the telemetry this year.. GPS will only get better and it is the way to go if you aren't invested in the other. You can sure get some good prices on the telemetry trackers now but that should tell you something, people are switching to the GPS. I don't think you will be sorry at all if you go GPS, and really you will probably be sorry if you don't.
DunDealHoundHunters
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby DunDealHoundHunters » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:02 pm

Agree with both of your guys comments...still have telemetry for back up but personally can not beat the Garmin...wouldnt hunt a day without it!
luckylqh
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby luckylqh » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:38 pm

I already have a garmin but dont care for the batterys goin dead so fast,I lost a couple of dogs on a lion and couldnt get a signal on them my friend had a couple of dogs with the telemetry collars on and couldnt get beeps untill we went on top of the mountain then got a beep and direction we were within 3/4 of a mile from dogs and couldnt get a beep,they were in a deep box canyon treed all nite ,walked to them and found them ,one gps collar was still flashing but couldnt get a signal untill we were within 100 yards even with long range antenna so really what im asking is what is the best telemetry unit on the market because the guys making them all say theres is the best . I used to have an old quick track box that worked great but got rid of it and now they dont sell that one anymore
ncmailman
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby ncmailman » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:14 pm

Tracker maxima is easy to carry. I wouldn't go hunting without mine. I had a dog cut down by a hog my buddy had his Garmin and I had my tracker. He couldn't pinpoint the dog but I went about straight to him. My dog was too bad to help but I have found dead dogs, live dogs, and lost collars with the tracker. I found a dog 1 time dead about 4 or 5 feet back in a bear den.
Huntsalittle

Postby Huntsalittle » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:35 pm

If it's telemetry you're wanting then I have to vote for Marshall. I have Marshall and Magnum collars, my hunting buddies have Quicktrack and Johnson. They all work and we have always taken our dogs home with us at the end of the day. But, when the dogs get on out there a mile or more, or over in a deep holler, or behind a mountain, the Marshall collars definately hit the reciever harder. They also have some other features that I think puts them ahead of the other brands that I am familiar with. Of course, I hog hunt in the Ozark Mountains, steep and rugged for sure, but probably not as high and rugged as lion country and I doubt our hogs cover as much distance as a lion on average. We have had some deals out over three miles and one just over five miles a few years ago, but 90 per cent of our bays end up less than a mile from cast. Having said all that, I also have a Garmin system and for our kind of hunting it's the "cat's meow". I do sometimes put a telemetry collar on with a Garmin on some longer range dogs, but rarely need to use it. I have had dogs get out of range of the Garmin, but never had one go dead or fail completely and have always been able to pick them back up by going to, or toward, the last place I got a track.

marshallradio.com, imo they're shootin' pretty straight, and easy to deal with.

Return to “Equipment and Product Review”