Hunting Rig Tires

Post your product review or ask questions on products

wyohunter12

Hunting Rig Tires

Postby wyohunter12 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:47 am

I am looking to get peoples opinion on the "Best" tire to run on a hunting pickup.

I mostly will be in very rocky terrain, usually quite a bit of snow and drifts, very little highway.

What is everyone else running and why?

I am looking at the Goodyear Wrangler M/t W/ Kevlar.
YotaDawger
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: Hunting Rig Tires

Postby YotaDawger » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:10 pm

The toyo r/t toyo m/t and the toyo m55 are all tough tires.
Gettin western !
wyohunter12

Postby wyohunter12 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:39 pm

I have not had very good wear on toyo's as compared to the duratracs. Anyone else seen the same comparison?
Grzyadms4x4
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Grzyadms4x4 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:17 pm

I've used both BFG Ko all terrains and the Duratracs. The duratracs, especially when new, stuck to the rocks like glue with little tire spin, I think they live a little longer too, at least in the AZ desert.
Jeff Eberle
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Jeff Eberle » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:57 pm

In the last 3yrs I've gone though a lot of tires in the rocks , It all comes down to the side wall most 6 and 10ply are only 2ply side wall the BFG's you can get a 3ply , If it will go though a 2 ply it will go though a 3ply more then likely . I got tired of buying new tires , Now I watch craigslist for my size tires and buy any good Lt rated that comes up for sale. As for the tread and traction I carry two sets of chain nothing gets better traction then all four chained up .Maybe you have more control then me when trying to get to your dogs by slowing down though the bad stuff , I sure don't.
Get JESUS In Your Life & Your Dog's In The Wood's

CLAVEY RIVER CUR'S
wyohunter12

Postby wyohunter12 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:35 pm

Thanks for the information.

Jeff- that's what I was hoping to save a little more is my sidewalls, and thinking the kevlar would help, but maybe its just a gimmick.

I definitely do like the "go anywhere" of all 4's chained up, but what I was running into last year hunting, was just a little bit of snow was causing me to chain up. Instead of taking them on and off when i needed them, i was leaving them on and tightened them up as tight as I could get them once out of the nasty stuff. This proved to put quite a bit of wear on my chains which are not cheap either. Then when I really needed the chains to get home one evening, I broke 3 rails. Luckily i always keep a few smash links to piece them back together so I could get back home.

What my overall thoughts are now that I have 4 new chains is to get better tires so that i do not need the chains as often.
Kyle D7
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Kyle D7 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:14 pm

For the winter months I run cooper dicover m+s in 4 ply on my toyota and the 8 plys on my Chevy which I plow snow with. I have not had to chain up my plow truck since I started running these tires. Summer time I run bfg km2 on my hunting truck and they are great in the mud but on a gravel logging road they are terrible it feels like you're driving on ice. Also tried the toyo tire and I did not have any luck with them. Hopefully this is helpful. Kyle
Sask_matty
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 583510057

Postby Sask_matty » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:58 pm

I stick with yokohama geolander ATS... my 4X4ing buddies all laugh as they tell me they are SUV tires, but they have gotten me through some tought stuff, and hold up amazingly on gravel. I drive about 10% off road, 40% hwy and 50% gravel, even when hunting most of our roads up here I would still call gravel but sometimes on the verge of rocks. Chains in the winter for deep snow, but the dry snow we get up here I never chain up unless i'm starting to push over 2-2.5 ft deep. I used to run duratracs and I loved them, but they wore out like crazy with the amount of gravel roads we have up here.
Kyle D7
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Kyle D7 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:20 am

Hey I just wanted to give you guy's an update since I last posted on this subject. Last fall I purchased Kelly TSR safari 10 ply tires for my hunting truck. I ran them all winter cat hunting and they worked great. I bear hunted all spring and summer with them and they worked great. I have just over 10000 miles on them and they still look new. These tires work in snow , ice, mud, gravel, rocks, and pavement. I recommend these tires. Good hunting everyone.
Fireman03
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Fireman03 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:28 am

Hankook dynapro AT and MT
FullCryHounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby FullCryHounds » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:56 am

Duratracs for most of us here that I run with in CO. All snow. My buddy owns a tire store and he stopped selling BFGs because of the balance problem with them. He was having a hard time finding 4 tires he could get balanced and keep balanced, right from the factory. And the ones he could get balanced had several ounces of weights.

Dean Hendrickson
Pine, CO.
Rocky Mountain Wildlife Studios
rmwildlifestudios.com
slymule1954

Postby slymule1954 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:01 pm

General Grabber AT2 or ATX - you'll thank me later. Have them on all three of my vehicles, won't buy anything but. Read the reviews, you'll be impressed.
Henefer-hound-hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Henefer-hound-hunter » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:24 am

I run Hankook mt, I switched over to them from Toyo’s they last longer, are cheaper, and are just as nice in every condition.
tman308
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby tman308 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:59 am

Milestar Patagonia mud tire have a super heavy sidewall I don't know what the ply is but when you grab a hold of the tire you know you have it in your hands.
Tman308

Hunt Hard, Hunt Smart, Have Fun, and take your kids with you!
Emqhmq
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Emqhmq » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:24 pm

Goodyear wrangler Duratracs are hands down the best tire I've run.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Return to “Equipment and Product Review”