NEW Garmin DriveTrack 70

Post your product review or ask questions on products

mattp
Facebook ID: 0

NEW Garmin DriveTrack 70

Postby mattp » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:54 pm

New from Garmin in 2016 come the DriveTrack 70 Dog Tracking Screen. This Big Screen will wirelessly display your dogs track data on topo maps from either your Alpha 100 or Astro 430! Check out the link bellow to take a look!

pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: NEW Garmin DriveTrack 70

Postby pegleg » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:26 pm

That's nice. However it would make more sense to enlarge the Garmin units themselves. This unit isnt designed for anything other then vehicle use. Granted many hunters may be able to use it in their style of hunting. But anyone not riding around in a truck won't. The design of the garmin units is great but I think in the smaller is better craze they have lost sight of the fact that usefulness is its primary selling point. Why offer a bigger screen with limitations?
If the primary units are larger it appeals to everyone. It adds room for increased battery size and visibility. Same with the collars I get staying as compact as is reasonable but would rather know that its still powered up in a emergency . if my hounds are carrying several more ounces it isnt even noticeable. But if it gives me 12 more hours to get to them or know what is happening its worth it. Same with the handheld extra weight for service isnt a negative trade. For those who hunt from vehicles its just longer life 32nd bigger screen. If your carrying the unit it follows your in more extreme terrain and moving slowly and need the extra time to reach your hounds.
Rshcwisdom
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Rshcwisdom » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:45 am

That is going to be nice. Hopefully it will keep me from driving in the ditch when I'm chasing dogs, and looking at the alpha screen.
Gagne

Postby Gagne » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:37 am

I would like to have one of these in the truck but there over priced in my opinion. You can set up a tablet for much cheaper. Sure it's much easier to set up but you can do way more stuff with a tablet.
Jeff Eberle
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Jeff Eberle » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:32 pm

Almost bought a GPS dawg . Glad I didn't now, What held me back was the only one hour of support they gave with it. I can't even begin to tell you how many hours I have had on the phone with Matt from DU when I first got my Alpha. DU is the only place I'll buy from. Looks like we will be talking again Matt.
Get JESUS In Your Life & Your Dog's In The Wood's

CLAVEY RIVER CUR'S
basko
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby basko » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:01 pm

i have also looked at setting up a tablet because of the big price difference. But using a tablet i have learned that it doesnt follow you as you are going down the road. meaning you have to move the screen yourself as you are driving because its not an actual gps. i could be wrong but with all the research i did that is what i am understanding.
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Cowboyvon » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:22 pm

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
Grzyadms4x4
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Grzyadms4x4 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:58 am

The solution to the "Mule Mount and Power" setup is available on Amazon.com. Here is a picture of how I do it on one my mules. Amazon carries them for different kinds of screens, they run about $349.00 with free shipping.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaf317bc06c915011230bff0043b7a5471.jpg

With my setup when things get slow, I can always turn on the t.v. tuner and watch Friends or Modern Family. :D

I agree though, make the handheld unit's screen bigger, I can't see the drivetrack being very useful unless you are in an area with a lot of roads or trying to find lost dogs. Road are few and far between out here. They need to work on battery and range on their handhelds and collars. It seems like those are always the two things we always want more of.
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:54 am

The range is iffy at best. I've had it loose contact with dogs it should never have. The tree function is forever giving false alarms. Granted my dogs maybe stargazing but I don't even spend that much time at it. And recharging every night and still having worries about the day getting away from you is annoying. But the worst feature is the screen anyone with the slightest eye weakness can't seem to make it out. The accuracy when its working is exceptional though and the combination track and train is great but having to run to tracking systems is not very helpful.

Return to “Equipment and Product Review”