Solid Black?

Discuss pedigrees, post photos, and etc...
BIGBLUES
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Solid Black?

Postby BIGBLUES » Fri May 25, 2012 5:33 pm

When I was younger I knew a guy that had a B&T that was solid black (as far as I remember). Just wondering if anyone has one or has seen one? Thanks
RMello
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: Solid Black?

Postby RMello » Sat May 26, 2012 2:50 am

Ive seen a couple some years back. A friend of mine crossed two hounds out of my dogs and got soild black. Looked just like a.k.c. black and tans.They move alot faster. Ill post some pics.There reg majestic treehounds.
mountain top
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby mountain top » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:23 pm

a friend of mine had a solid black female out of UKC registered parents, decent coon dog. The man that bred her said that he had made that same cross 4 times and that was the only solid black pup he had ever seen.
Farmhand
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Farmhand » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:25 pm

Nitzel's Black Slick was a solid black AKC Black and Tan. He appears in alot of AKC pedigrees today.
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
Majestichound_GIRL

Postby Majestichound_GIRL » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:57 am

I have solid black majestic pups also have solid brindle. No plott in them. Call or text 5416208191
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:28 am

I have seen a few. They tend to come from dogs with very dark red "tan" markings that are smaller. They are usually houndier types. The ones I hunted came from OK. East central. Cannot remember the breeders name.
driftwood blue
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby driftwood blue » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:15 am

has been quite some time but the Old Glory strain produced a good many years ago
floridacathunter
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000875297200

Postby floridacathunter » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:02 pm

About 60 years ago, as a boy, I remember a pair of solid black hounds owned by one of my Dads hunting friends. He had ordered them from Kentucky. I don't remember any thing about their performance only their looks. Later, read about a strain, or breed of foxhound named Calhoun foxhounds, bred in Ky, by Otey Calhoun.they were registered in The Hunters Horn studbook. Some of these pedigree applications indicated they were solid black. Years later, at a fox hound field trial I saw a black hound. The owner of this hound told me that it was a Calhoun. I believe this mans name was Billy Mims, from Alabama. I could be mistaken about the mans name. I wonder if any one has any more info, about this breed or strain of foxhound?
Andyva
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Andyva » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:17 pm

This interested me, I did some looking around, looks like a man named Otey Calhoun wrote a book on his dogs, the Calhoun hounds. If you could lay your hands on a copy of that book, my guess id you would find out a lot about them. Saw a post on another forum where a guy was trying to keep this strain going, but it was just one post and nobody replied.
floridacathunter
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000875297200

Postby floridacathunter » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:38 pm

Thanks for your response! Do you recall what forum the man lnterested in preserving " The Calhoun Hound"was on? If so please share. I had forgotten about the book you mentioned, but now remember seeing it advertised in an old copy of the Hunters Horn magazine. I started hunting with my Father, as a small boy about 70 years ago. We ran bobcats and grey fox. Using mostly running hound and crosses. In this time I saw, or read about, or heard about several breeds or strains of running hounds, that like the Calhoun, I fear no longer exist. some of them were, Trumbo, Birdsong, Hudspeth,Spaulding-Norris, Shaver,Buckfield,Henry,and Whitlock Shaggy. I feel sure a lot of effort by some very dedicated houndsmen went into the development of these breeds of hounds. Sad that they are gone.
Andyva
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Andyva » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:18 am

I'll send a link in a PM.

Return to “Black and Tan Coonhounds”