English Dogs

Discuss pedigrees, post photos, and etc...
DEE POWELL
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

English Dogs

Postby DEE POWELL » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:41 pm

Who on this site owns English Coonhounds, and why.

My story;

I've owned and breed hounds all of my going on 42 years. As a kid we didn't have papered dogs. We ran deer during the day and coon at night. We had about every mix a man could think of, if it done the job we kept it. Well if it didn't that was the end of that dogs time on Earth.
About 12 years ago I purchased my first registered dog, a rebone female named Hooch from a good friend in KY, she was everything a man could ask for in a dog and then some but as years went by the Rebone breed starting breeding pretty dogs to pretty dogs and I got fustrated and wanted a change. I tried walkers but they were to high strung and hard headed for me.
Four years ago I had a gentleman in North Alabama call me up and said he had a 8 month old female treeing her on coon and had been doing this for three months and asked if I would like to try an English dog; well that's where I got my start hunting and breeding quality bred English dogs. Some may ask are they the best; and my answer would be, to me they are.

Thanks for reading

Dee Powell

HOME OF DEE'S RIDGE TREEING ENGLISH KENNELS

WENATCHEE, WA

ROLL TIDE ROLL
HOME OF DEE'S ENGLISH KENNEL
DEE POWELL*****OWNER******
WENATCHEE, WA
509-393-5111
drew
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: English Dogs

Postby drew » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:49 pm

I just got my first English dog, so i cant say a lot. But the reason i bought the dog is because i had heard so many good things from different people about the lightfoot hounds. So i got in touch with Jess Kincaid, who is just a stand up guy. I've never met someone who cared more about where their pup was going than Jess. He is very particular about who's hands his dogs are in and i appreciated that very much. He personally delivered my pup in Washington state, driving from indiana. To me that kind of thing says a lot about a guy and hounds he raises. So I am very excited to hunt my dog and with all that i have heard about the breed, i think this is my first of many English hounds.

Drew
Emily
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Emily » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:23 pm

Dee
Emily here who runs Hoochie Sue's son Mudd. I love my red dogs, but some of the nicest bred hounds I run into are from a breeder of English dogs near Rochester NY named Doug Robinson. Don't know much about English breeding, but I've known a fair number of dogs this guy bred, and all of them are sweet-tempered, easy-handling coon dogs. Doug gets the pups in the woods and gives them a lot of socialization when young. In general, he does right by his pups. A lot of them go to pleasure hunting homes where they don't get a string of titles, but if you're looking around at English breeding and want to try something new out, get in touch with Doug. He's as nice a guy as you'll ever want to meet, and completely honest.
esp
plottpappaw
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby plottpappaw » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:51 am

My story is pretty close to yours. Had plotts and got to where i couldn't catch a cold with one much less a bear so i had tried all breeds but english. I tried one out and well its hard to explain. The easiest way to say it is this i own the best bear dogs i have ever owned in my whole life. I will actually call them bear dogs not just dogs that run a bear! They mind well, have just enough nose, tree hard, have what i like to think is a steady pace, just enough grit to apply pressure and not get to beat up start early but at a rate so that i don't worry about the burn out effect. All and all in my opinion for what i like a well rounded breed! If your looking for a spring pup let me know i am planning on having a litter out of my two best dogs! They both can catch their own bear and complament each other positive traits extremely well!
eph 2:8-9
DEE POWELL
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby DEE POWELL » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:45 pm

POST IS REALLY STARTING TO TAKE OFF; I WOULD LIKE TO ADD THAT IF YOU HAVE A NICE ENGLISH FEMALE THAT YOU WANT SOME PUPS OUT OF; I HAVE A NICE MALE ON THE CLASSIFIED SECTION THAT I WOULD LIKE TO BRED ASAP TO SEE WHAT HE WILL THROW. STUD FEE IS FREE AND I BELIEVE HE WILL PRODUCE HIS LIKENESS A HARD GO GET TREED TYPE OF HOUND WITH OR WITHOUT COMPANY.

PS - HAVE PICTURES...JUST EMAIL ME AT dpowell1967@hotmail.com

DEE POWELL

509-393-5111
Last edited by DEE POWELL on Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HOME OF DEE'S ENGLISH KENNEL
DEE POWELL*****OWNER******
WENATCHEE, WA
509-393-5111
Bearhunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bearhunter » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:48 pm

Been with the ticked dogs now for about 26 years.Haved owned them all at one time or another(have a walker in the kennel now)But you cant beat a well bred english dog.3 dogs in my kennel now have my own personal dogs or local dogs going back those 26 years.
Sam Snyder
BJ
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby BJ » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:05 pm

i had some friends that have or had english never had anything bad to say about them. got one she got ran over so i tried another she's the easiest starting dog i've ever had trail minded along with cat minded, level headed and loves coon not a slick treein idiot. misses occasionally. very easy on the eyes still houndy lookin. dont know that there is any other line or breed thats naturally easy to handle or get along with. but there are culls in everything as well.
david72

Postby david72 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:39 pm

Started off hunting anything that would tree. Had some plotts,redbones,black&tans,walkers and some mixed up stuff. About 12 years ago a friend talked me into buying an english pup. Her name was lita she really impressed me She started out really well on drags and she went on to make a really good coon hound . She was really good at treeing layup coons. While I had lita my brother gave me a littermate sister to her I named her faith . She was one of the coldest nosed dogs I have ever owned. She also started to do really good for me . When these 2 pups were around 9 mos old they started to get very independent one would go one way and get treed and the other would be treed somewhere else. I couldnt keep up with both and keep my job so I let a friend take lita and hunt her for me . Well I let him talk me into selling her to him. Well that left me faith . My brother had gotten another pup that was a full sister to these two just out of a different litter. I called her jazz She was 5 mos old when she split treed and had the meat. I let my cousin take faith and hunt her on bear she really made an excellent rig dog While I hunted jazz alone this was a 5 month old puppy and she really treed coons. And I dont mean cornfield or feeder bucket coons I mean mountain coons in the winter time all by herself. Faith died 23 years ago of kidney failure Lita is stuck on a chain the guy thast owns her wont hunt her or sell her . Jazz is out back in the kennel due to have pups AUG 13.Ihave 3 other english dogs out of this same line of dogs. No their not world famous and not in every coonhuinting magizine in the land their just good old country coon hounds that do what they are bred to do.They start young are well mannered easy to break off of trash are very accurate tree dogs run a track to catch what they are after and are easy to look at.They have me hooked as long as Iam able to hunt and care for them there will always be an english dog at my house
thanks
David
prariewolf

Postby prariewolf » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:15 am

Hunted Bear in Maine during the 70's-80's-90's and the toughest dog for day to day bear hunting and one of the most complete ( strike ,trail and tree ) bear dogs was a Turkey ridge Racket dog owned by Tom Hooke named Racket , He routinely would strike trail and tree his own bear w/zero help. Tehere were some Gentlemen from Maryland that had the same breeding and their dogs were outstanding also .
" The man who has the best dogs and horses is the man who uses them the most ." -Wiley Carroll.
oregonblues
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby oregonblues » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:30 am

well I luckey I am 26 years old and when i was about 7 my step dad took me coon hunting with an English dog named tuff and a few years later my football coach and his son agood friend ray took me along with a blue English dog nice looking dog i was hooked on them then
but we could not have pet so we moved around alot but i all ways wanted a coon hound at the age of 19 i when back east to go to college and when i got there i seen coon hounds every were and got a red bone but i still wanted a tick dog so I bought a 1/2 van blue tick 1/2 English he was a the best strik dog i had then 3 years ago i got a oney red tick dog that was also !/2 camron to date he was the best dog i have ever hunted with so i say tick dog all the way
it all about the dogs
dandavidson
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dandavidson » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:16 am

I have always like the look of the English Redtick dogs, and have heard they are well rounded dogs, Took me a year of researching on this site and others to figure who I wanted to get one from.

My redtick pup is coming up on 6 months in Feb and I have been 100% impressed, he listens good, he is track driven, and he can motor!!! I am training on my own so far and I have no back ground with hounds, it is going to be really cool when I can mix him up with some seasoned dogs and watch what else he picks up on!!

Dan D
Attachments
Ridge on a Bob!.jpg
IMG_1344.jpg
IMG_0829.jpg
Last edited by dandavidson on Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gotta start somewhere...
Gary Gentry
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Gary Gentry » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:34 pm

I have only been hunting with hounds for about five years now and have hunted with alot of diffrent hounds in comp hunts and I have owned a few diffrent breeds. what I like about the english breed is the blance they have the ablity to move tracks with there nose and there head they are good track dogs and tree dogs I know that there is good in all breeds but they all come from english therefor I feel that the root of the good came from english. lol
Gary Gentry

NORTHERN LIGHTS ENGLISH KENNELS HOME OF:
GRCH 'PR' ONEY'S INDIAN CREEK BIG ECHO (GRNITECH PR ONEY'S OUTBACK DAN X PR ONEY'S PEARL)
PR NORTHERN LIGHTS OAKWOODS AMME (GRNITECH MAIN STREET JACK X GRNITECH OAKWOOD'S EMMA
PR NORTHERN LIGHTS OAKWOODS DUTCHESS(GRNITECH BALLARDS HARDTIME BLADE X NITECH OAKWOOD'S SALLY)
PR NORTHERN LIGHTS BLUE YETI (GRNITECH MAIN STREET DINO X NITECH HARDTIME RUBY)
plottpappaw
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby plottpappaw » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:32 pm

technically only the walker and bluetick have some english desendants. b&t is bloodhound and b&t virginia foxhound, plott no relation, redbone is from red irish foxhound. walker and blue dog broke away in 1945. blue dog was crossed with english foxhounds cause the original grand blue de gascogne was to slow. well walker dog ppl just wanted to be diff.
eph 2:8-9
stanleybearhunter
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby stanleybearhunter » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:37 pm

I JUST GOT STARTED BACK WITH HOUNDS AFTER 10 YEARS. WE HAD GRADE DOGS AS A KID GROWING UP. WHEN MY UNCLE PASSED I JUST DIDN`T HAVE THE HEART TO HUNT BEAR ANY MORE. ABOUT 2 YRS AGO I FELT THAT I WANT TO DO IT AGAIN, SO I LOOKED AROUND FOR A FINISHED DOG. A MAN GAV ME 2 BLUETICK LIKE WE HAD BEFORE. A MAN IN WV HAD ENGLISH DOGS, I NEVER OWED A REG DOG MORE LESS A ENGLISH RED TICK. HE WAS A STRAIGHT UP MAN, WHAT HE SAID HE WOULD DO HE WOULD DO IT AND MORE. WHEN HUNTING SEASON ARRIVED HERE I TOOK MY 3 DOGS AND 1 PUP TO THE WOODS. ANOTHER MAN UP THE ROAD LAUGH WITH AT MY ENGLISH DOG, SAID U BROUGHT A COON DOG. BY THE END OF THE DAY MY ENGLISH HAD A BEAR UP THE TREE BY HIMSELF WITH IN HOUR AND A HALF, THATS WAS THE FIRST DAY BY THE END OF THE SEASON WE HAD KILLED 6 BEARS WITH MY ENGLISH DOG. I GUESS HE HAS THE RIGHT NAME JOKES ON YOU. THE BEST ALL AROUND DOG I HAVE EVER OWED!!!!!!!!!

Return to “English Coonhounds”